Around 25% 4 0.49%
Voters: 809. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 Aug 19, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
For me it depended on the meal and the waiter. I thought I would try for 18%-20% as much as I could but there were some meals that I really didn’t want to tip at all but felt guilty if I didn’t so I just did it low.
I also realised after when I was adding things up that at one restaurant I had tipped more than I would have wanted to and the reason was that the “suggested tip” was on the total amount before the free started which I wasn’t sure I was happy with that especially as the service was only ok. I also don’t really do odd numbers mostly. So I like to round to nice number.

This is what I ended up with after my holiday
Cracker Barrel 19% ok service
T-Rex 9.5% terrible service (I have 4% tip to another waiter)
Bahama breeze 23.5% ok service
Manny 23.5% amazing service
Ihop 22% amazing service
Bahama breeze 15% below average
Manny 21.5% amazing service
Denny’s 20% good service
Millers 18% ok service
Mannys 23.5% amazing service
Millers 19% ok service
Applebee’s 18% ok service
Rock and brew 17% below average
Denny’s 8% terrible service

I think it’s difficult to say we tip x amount as I really think it all depends on what service you get.
Just to clarify, the tip should always be calculated BEFORE any coupons or free items. The server still had to bring you the free starter. If you had a "Buy one meal get one free" voucher it wouldn't be fair to tip for one person instead of two. The server shouldn't loss out because the customer got a good deal.
Old 4 Aug 19, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Just to clarify, the tip should always be calculated BEFORE any coupons or free items. The server still had to bring you the free starter. If you had a "Buy one meal get one free" voucher it wouldn't be fair to tip for one person instead of two. The server shouldn't loss out because the customer got a good deal.
So the plate that was brought out at the same time as mains that was something that was free entitles a $2.80 tip? See for me it’s service. It was ok service. Had to ask for drinks etc and the starter was brought same time. I try not to complain and really I think I should have only given 18% on this occasion but it was my birthday and I wasn’t paying attention so I just paid the recommended rather than working it out.

Not sure it was worked out this way on the rest of the receipts cos I definitely didn’t sit and add things up I just looked at recommended amounts and decided from that as to what the service was worth.
Amazing service big tip. Also keeps me going back. I don’t mind tipping what I think it’s worth.
vampiress88 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 19, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Kids eat free mannys on Mondays. The tip doesn’t include their meals.
Tip is after tax though. Like I said the person nemo got better than 20% tip from us anyway as he was brilliant. Couldn’t recommend him enough. Also asked for him every time and the service was that good all three times.
vampiress88 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post

Kids eat free mannys on Mondays. The tip doesn’t include their meals.
Tip is after tax though. Like I said the person nemo got better than 20% tip from us anyway as he was brilliant. Couldn’t recommend him enough. Also asked for him every time and the service was that good all three times.
If my kids ate free and the service was good I would definitely being adding a bit extra to cover their meal even if the suggested amount didn't include anything.

As you tipped over 20% you effectively did that anyway.
Old 5 Aug 19, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post

Using similar logic, perhaps the tip should be a fixed amount not a %. The meal of Japanese wagyu beef is no harder to serve than a vegetable stir fry, a $100 bottle of wine no more trouble than a $20 bottle. I don’t expect servers mind a % being applied when the customer chooses higher value items at no extra effort to the server.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Hermione
Getting Excited

Mobile

Please can anyone tell me the custom for tipping for carryout orders?
Hermione is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
SiandAm
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
Please can anyone tell me the custom for tipping for carryout orders?
We rarely tip on these now as we queued last year behind an American family at OG, they were discussing tipping on carry out and said why would people tip, has she refilled drinks, checked my meal etc. So now unless we have a very friendly, helpful server we don’t tip

PORS 1995 Grand Floridian 1997 CBR 1998 ASMovies2002/2004Cumbrian lakes 2005,6,8,10,11,12,13,14 & 15 NYC/disney '12 AKL 2007 OKW 2009 2012Ellie hunts tour CBR 19
cumbrian lakes2016,17,18,19,22 2019 ASMovies 2022
SiandAm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Hermione
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by SiandAm View Post
We rarely tip on these now as we queued last year behind an American family at OG, they were discussing tipping on carry out and said why would people tip, has she refilled drinks, checked my meal etc. So now unless we have a very friendly, helpful server we don’t tip
Thank you I usually chuck any change in the jar if there is one but wasn't sure if this was the right move.
Hermione is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
So the server who gives you great service is penalised because you eat out every night ? Hardly seems fair.
I'm not really sure I understand your logic, surely it's fairer to pick places you can afford 20% with the expectation you'll want to tip at full Rate as the service will be great ( and if it isn't adjust accordingly)
It's hardly the servers fault if you can't afford to eat there though !
I think that should pick whatever restaurant they wish to eat at and tip as they choose.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

We go out every night and tip well. Its great if you want to tip 20% and 25% but I bet you don't go out every night and do this... I wish people would not shame others.
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List