Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Jul 19, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Lucyjane45xxx
Imagineer

Car Hire thoughts needed

So I have visited the US a number of times but never to California and I have never hired a car/driven in the US before either so I am just looking for some advice.

We fly into LAX, spend some time in Hollywood before moving to Anaheim, then on to Vegas before finally San Fran and flying home from SFO.

Currently I have reserved a car for the full holiday but can easily cancel this. I keep reading more about Hollywood/Anaheim and San Fran and everyone keeps saying not to drive there so when also considering I would need to pay extra for parking, I am now considering only having a car for part of it instead.

Would you guys have the car for the full holiday, or is it worth picking it up from somewhere in Hollywood/Anaheim after we have finished the Anaheim part of the trip, use it to drive to Vegas, keep it for the Vegas part of the trip only, drive to San Fran and then drop it off as soon as we get to San Fran?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
"The Superfan & The Skeptic" - Trip Report Index Here
Lucyjane45xxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I always have a car all the time and yes there is traffic and yes parking can be expensive but I find it easier than driving in any UK city by far.

Edit stop press there are two US cites where I don't have a car San Francisco is one and NY the other.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

I wouldn’t drive in SF. Public transit is readily available and it’s a walkable city. We kept the car because we had booked a motel with free parking but we never used it so I would happily return it and go car free in the city. It opens up accommodation options because you don’t need free parking and won’t be hit with crazy parking charges in hotels ($40-75 per night).
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

I would land at LAX, then do Anaheim for Disney without a car. Collect one when you want to leave for Hollywood and keep it then until dropping it on arrival to San Fran.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 19, 06:59 AM  
Link to this Post
metalguru
Apprentice Imagineer

metalguru's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I drive in both San Fran and NYC. I use Spot Hero parking app for cheap pre booked parking which saves a lot. 2 years ago it cost $11 for all day parking at Fisherman's Wharf.
metalguru is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 19, 07:03 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We are doing similiar starting in Vegas and finishing in San Fran and we have the car right up until San Fran then return it for our 2 days there.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 19, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by metalguru View Post
I drive in both San Fran and NYC. I use Spot Hero parking app for cheap pre booked parking which saves a lot. 2 years ago it cost $11 for all day parking at Fisherman's Wharf.
I have always had a car in SF but would not now we just don’t use it we used and app in Denver and it saved us a fortune
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 19, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Mobile

I wouldn’t drive in SFO unless you can get very cheap overnight parking. Public transport and app-rides are cheap and plentiful.

For the LA area, it depends how much you will move out of Hollywood and / or Anaheim while there, and the cost of overnight parking. I like the flexibility of a car when in the LA area (despite the traffic), but probably wouldn’t bother in Anaheim, if I were not going to stray much beyond the theme parks while there.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 19, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucyjane45xxx
Imagineer

Perfect, thanks all for the different view points on this. Definitely think we will get rid of the car for the 5 days in San Francisco, but will continue to decide whether to keep it for the Hollywood part.

Is it easy enough to get around without a car? I am guessing Uber isn't the best idea if traffic is crazy?
We are staying at Loews Hollywood, which looks like it is right by the Hollywood Walk of Fame and the Chinese theatre. We have booked to do the WB Studio Tour, we are planning HHN one evening and then we will mainly just want to wander around Melrose ave and go to Griffith Observatory and Hollywood sign
"The Superfan & The Skeptic" - Trip Report Index Here
Lucyjane45xxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 19, 06:30 AM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

My experience of LA is that a car is definitely better. You can get around with public transport but it takes forever and a car would be much easier to see everything you wanted to!
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List