Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 11 Jul 19, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucydog
Getting to know the DIBB

Thanks for all the replies folks, just tried to use my hotels.com voucher that I got from using the tesco vouchers and it wouldn’t apply the discount when entering it into the coupon code box.
Called hotels.com who informed me that all the universal deluxe hotels are on the list that tesco have been excluded from using the tesco vouchers. I presume that this has just happened very recently as I know others have been booking using the tesco vouchers with no problem.
Luckily, tesco have agreed to refund my vouchers, but not a happy bunny today...
Lucydog is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post

For one night, I wouldn't worry too much about theming and would go with whichever is cheapest if there is a notable difference. We go for longer and I have never fancied the HRH theming, however we stayed at the new HRH in London recently and I quite liked it so maybe I will try it at Universal next time. Personally, I wouldn't bother with club level for one night or even go to the pool, I would be looking to make the most of the parks.

Edited at 06:29 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 19, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Bonjovi
slightly serious Dibber

Hi, for us we go to RPR as soon as we get off the flight. We find it incredibly calming after hectic last weeks at work, work calls etc etc. HRH is great but just not for us. I think if we were a lot younger with children we would enjoy it but for me I need at least 48 hours of calming time when we arrive to get myself into holiday mode.
Old 12 Jul 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Bonjovi View Post
Hi, for us we go to RPR as soon as we get off the flight. We find it incredibly calming after hectic last weeks at work, work calls etc etc. HRH is great but just not for us. I think if we were a lot younger with children we would enjoy it but for me I need at least 48 hours of calming time when we arrive to get myself into holiday mode.
I think that's the general opinion, with the odd exception.

I was surprised by how calm RPR was tbh - I knew by reputation it was slightly calmer than HRH (I suppose that depends on what you consider calm) but I really got a sense of a "bubble" in terms of a place to relax and unwind.

OP sorry your tesco vouchers didn't work. Unsurprising they've cottoned on, supermarket rewards programs are rarely fantastic value for long. Hope you get a good price you can pay regardless!
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 19, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
JanetteP
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
I think that's the general opinion, with the odd exception.

I was surprised by how calm RPR was tbh - I knew by reputation it was slightly calmer than HRH (I suppose that depends on what you consider calm) but I really got a sense of a "bubble" in terms of a place to relax and unwind.

OP sorry your tesco vouchers didn't work. Unsurprising they've cottoned on, supermarket rewards programs are rarely fantastic value for long. Hope you get a good price you can pay regardless!
They do still work on the Tesco Clubcard site as I booked yesterday.

Janette
Dreamy Corner June 23, Potter’s Villa May 22, Shamu Villa Sep 22,AKL, HRH Lakeside Haven Sep 19, Lakeside Haven RPR May 19. White Blossom & Viburnum Villa Aug 18. SSR, Aurora Villa May 18. Kidani, RPR Champion Florida Villa 17, Staybridge Suites, White Blossom & Owens Villa 16 OKW, Champion Florida Villa & RPR 16, Magic Landings 15, Grand Reserve & HRH 2014, Tuscan Pines 12, Highgrove 09, Legacy Park 07, Indian Point 06 and 05, Florida Pines 04
Graduation Trip 2019
+ Trip Report 2018
JanetteP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 19, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucydog
Getting to know the DIBB

Sorry if I panicked anyone yesterday, it seems the tesco vouchers are still being accepted for the universal hotels after talking to tesco today.
No explanation as to why my voucher wouldn’t work yesterday, despite going through the correct procedure, have to now wait for my refunded tesco points to appear back on my club card account before I start the process all over again.
I will get this hotel booked if it’s the last thing I do! 🙄
Lucydog is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 19, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Lucydog View Post
Sorry if I panicked anyone yesterday, it seems the tesco vouchers are still being accepted for the universal hotels after talking to tesco today.
No explanation as to why my voucher wouldn’t work yesterday, despite going through the correct procedure, have to now wait for my refunded tesco points to appear back on my club card account before I start the process all over again.
I will get this hotel booked if it’s the last thing I do! 🙄
Aaah, but which one 😉
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
EllieP
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Jimsdadhalifax View Post
Both great. We prefer RPR and it is cheaper so would choose that one personally.

Rooms very similar. Personally I prefer the theme at RPR and the pool but that is a personal choice.

Choose the one your family prefers the sound of - you cannot go wrong as both are excellent.

(Just to throw a spanner in the works - have you considered Portofino Bay? Best of the 3 hotels in terms of rooms, pools and theme in my view and that of my children)
In regards to Portofino bay, what would you say are the advantages of staying there over RPR. We love RPR and have stayed there 4 times but Thinking next year if possibly trying Portofino instead. Husband isn’t so keen as we do all love RPR but worried if we do decide on it and then Don’t like it as much. It would be club level in either hotel. Just wondered if you’ve stayed in both, you would be able to compare the two. Thank you
EllieP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Jimsdadhalifax
Very Serious Dibber

We have stayed at RPR five times, Hard Rock twice and Portofino once.

Portofino has better pools (3 rather than 1 and the main pool is better than the RPR 1)

The rooms are bigger. The bathrooms are better (though the RPR showers are awesome )

The resort is nicer - the opera singers are really something. The theming is better (RPR is fantastic but Portofino is even better) The view when you arrive or when the ferry comes around the corner and you see the 'bay' area really takes your breath away. The lobby even smells nice!

We haven't done club in RPR but we did club at Portofino and reading up on it, it seemed better (more choice at breakfast, better evening options, better beer!)

We adore RPR (more than Hard Rock) and I was dubious about paying slightly more for Portofino but it was better all round. The only downside is that it is further to walk from the parks if the ferry is full but it is a small price to pay for a better hotel.

Even my children preferred it and they are cynical about everything. It is an amazing hotel and the best we have ever stayed at. RPR is wonderful but Portofino is just better overall.

Give it a go - if you don't like it more than RPR, let me know and I will forfeit my membership of the Dibb. RPR was my favourite hotel ever but Portofino is a step above in a lot of ways. All the 3 Express hotels at Universal are fabulous but Portofino is the best.

I am from Yorkshire and tight as a drum but I would pay more to stay at Portofino than I would at RPR (and I seriously love RPR) which says it all.

If you decide on RPR, spend some time at PBR at the pool and see what you think. You can use other hotels pools at Universal and it is worth the trip on the ferry for a look around. We stayed at RPR this year but had a quick trip to PBR just because we like it so much.

Whatever you choose you cannot go wrong - enjoy!
Jimsdadhalifax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 19, 01:42 AM  
Link to this Post
lukeysmom
Helping Mickey

Mobile

How are people booking through tesco, won't let me...