Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Kate and me at DLP February 2019 - day 4

Wednesday 20th February – Day 4 of Kate and me at DLP

I slept pretty well over night. The alarm went off as usual at 6am and I showered and got myself ready before waking Kate up around 7.15am. She was pretty speedy getting ready. We were on a mission to get on Crush this morning. No matter what!

We left the resort as usual at around 7.45am. I twas really foggy and quite cold today.

We walked through the Village, stopping off at NY Style Bakery for our breakfast, however today we got the breakfast to go, no hanging around for us. We also bought a donut as Kate had been eyeing these up.

We fast walked along with everyone else to the park. Then just as we were arriving at the park where you have to show your room card to prove you are an onsite guest I realised I didn’t have mine with me as I’d left it on the machine in the bakery . These are the standard style ‘mickey to mickey’ type charging machines. In DLP they tell you to just put your card down on the machine, rather than tapping to pay as we would with a contactless card. I was so annoyed with myself as I had forgotten to pick it up .

I left Kate sitting outside the World of Disney story and raced back to the shop, there may have been some running, well jogging! Fortunately they had the card, I’d have been even more cross with myself if the card was properly lost and we’d had to get a new one.

So, a bit of a delay with this faffing about. I caught back up with Kate and we went through to the entrance to the Studio’s. The lines were of course long, it was still only 8.18am. We joined a line and started on our breakfast drinks, I really wanted that coffee now.

The donut was really tasty, it looked it was a plain ring donut with icing on top, but there was a chocolate filling as well. Yummy!

Kate sat eating her donut and I waited for the park to open.

After the park was opened we went through the entrance pretty quickly and the wait time for Crush said 5 minutes as we were heading towards it.

Then as we arrived at the sign it changed to 20 minutes.

Oh well, still not too bad and we knew we were not going to see wait times this low all day so we joined the line. As we got in the line there was an announcement that there were technical difficulties and the ride was not running. The announcement said that they were doing everything they could to sort it out and there would be a slight delay. So, we decided to wait it out. Of course we had our breakfast to keep us entertained a little.

Finally the ride was back up and running.

We ended up waiting in the line a little over 40 minutes. All in all we waited around an hour (with the waiting for the park to open and the wait in the line). Was it worth it? Well, that’s debatable. It was a great ride, we did really enjoy it, but we very rarely wait that long for any ride and usually we don’t wait longer than 30 minutes as we find there are very few rides that are so good they are worth such a long wait.

After that we went straight round to Tower of Terror which was just a 5 minute wait still. This was fabulous.

We then got ourselves ready for the LineBerty scramble for meet and greets as it was nearly 9.45am. You really have to be on the ball for this. We had just got off Tower of Terror and hadn’t even left the gift shop but we knew we wouldn’t have time to get anything if we went and found a bench.

So we got in a quiet corner of the shop and logged into the app. It was 9.43am, we were refreshing the phones like madness had taken over so that as soon as 9.45am rolled around we could grab a slot. Seriously, there is no hanging about and if you are even just 5 minutes later then you will have missed out. This was a shambles for me as my phone was not playing along and didn’t let me do anything . Kate’s worked fine and she booked up Mickey again, then she tried to book up Buzz Lightyear, but the app only let her have 1 reservation at a time, perhaps you are limited to one reservation per person? So she cancelled the Mickey one, even though this all took less than 2 minutes the Buzz meet and greet slots were all gone. The only thing that was left was Spiderman, but we weren’t really that bothered about meeting him so we left it.

We picked up the photo for ToT and then went around to the RC Racer ride.

On the app it had said the wait time was 15 minutes, but at the entrance to the ride it was posted as 30 minutes.

As we hadn’t done the ride yet we decided to give it a go. In the end the wait was about 45 minutes.

This was not my favourite ride! I had to have my eyes closed in order to get through the whole experience.

We went to ToT and grabbed a FP ticket, which we could use pretty much straight away.

We decided to check out RnR it said it was a 25 minute wait at the entrance but the line was super long and it didn’t look like it would be just 25 minutes. So, we skipped on this, Kate ate her last breakfast roll and we had a look around the shops and Kate bought herself some new Minnie Ears.

These are just fab I really like them.

We made our way back to ToT. Once again, this was a great ride. I was really proud of myself as I didn’t hold on. At all. No hands!

We were on the back row, next to us were 2 couples who we were have seen a few times around the parks. We also had been sitting next to them at the Billy Bob’s dinner on Monday. They had asked how I had managed to get a cocktail with the meal. We had seen them before in the line for Crush!

It was now time for our lunch at Chez Remy.

This is an a la carte restaurant that we could part pay with our credits.

For starters Kate chose potted chicken, which she enjoyed.

I had carrot soup with a blob of cream cheese at the bottom.

I’m sure there is a more attractive term for the cream cheese surprise. This was actually really tasty and we both enjoyed our starters.

Kate then had the linguine pasta.

I had a steak we both had ratatouille on the side and both loved it.

For pudding Kate had Remy’s éclair.

I had Gusteau’s dessert which was profiteroles.

I also enjoyed some wine with my meal.

While eating we had a discussion comparing DLP and WDW. Kate suggested I was biased. This is when Kate said that I had an emotional attachment to WDW and that this was blinding me to all that DLP has to offer. She said that I was blinded by WDW and while she was not saying that WDW is not better than DLP, because it is better, she didn't like that I was making out that it is much better and that is not the case. Phew

These are my main complaints, if you don't want to read the whining then I fully understand so feel free to skip on...

I was not a fan of the cold weather, I never thought I would say I liked the hot weather of Orlando, and I’m sure I’ve moaned about the heat before and will again, but it turns out I prefer that to the cold. Of course, Paris cannot control the weather and it’s not their fault that we booked a trip in February, perhaps we would have enjoyed it more in July?

The FP situation was also something that I was not impressed with. I really wanted them to get an app and sort it out. Kate pointed out there is an app with wait times. The problem here is that the wait times on the app are not the actual wait times .

So, Kate told me to stop making comparisons and accept what we have and enjoy it. In fairness to me I was enjoying it, but I figured there are some minor tweaks that could make it even better.

After our heated debate over lunch, which we thoroughly enjoyed and would absolutely do again, we didn’t fancy any rides and we wanted a bit of a break, so we wandered around the shops in the Village, taking an extra long look in World of Disney.

Then we headed back to the resort and had a rest. This is when I went to reception to sort out the problems with the card, except they said there were no problems with the card and I had already proved this to myself by using it to pay for Kate’s ears and the additional cost of lunch.

Back in the room I watched Walt before Mickey on Netflix. I really enjoyed this movie. Kate watched a bit of TV. We made sure we left the room by 4.30pm so that we could make to the park for the parade.

We bought some candy floss and sweets and found a table in one of the side streets off Main Street so that we could watch the parade while sitting down.

I really enjoyed the parade and all the floats were great.

We went round the back of the castle and went on the little fairy tales boat ride at the back of the park.

This was really good and actually one of my favourite rides at DLP.

It was a walk on with no wait at all, the boats take you through various fairy tales and it was really good fun.

Then we went on the Casey Junior train.

This was another fun little ride.

We had decided to go over to Indiana Jones, we were the front row!

Kate picked this and while I felt like I needed to close my eyes a lot of the time it was a smoother ride than previously and I didn’t feel like I banged my head as much.

We then headed over to the hub area via some more shops and Kate bought a Moana figurine. We wanted to see the fireworks show properly.

We had a pretty good spot by some railings. It was pretty busy with people. I got a bit cross as a family with very young children turned up about a minute before the show started and said they needed their children to be in the front as they couldn’t see…get here earlier then like the rest of us . I didn’t want to make a fuss and so she pushed her way to the front. It was quite annoying as she held one of the little kids and also recorded the whole show on her phone, thus blocking the view of Kate and me.

Towards the end of the show I got a bit claustrophobic and started feeling a bit faint. So, we moved over to the side and sat on the wall by Casey’s and waited for everyone else to leave. Then we went in the shop and Kate bought a mug, bowl, Stitch figurine and Tiana figurine. Kate was really pleased with her haul.

We had dinner at Billy Bob’s again last night.

Kate had a few trips back and forth.

I only managed one savoury plate.

I did have room for some pudding though and do did Kate.

This was another great meal and is definitely a buffet that we would get again if we ever come back.

We headed back to the hotel and to bed at around 9.30pm. Tomorrow is our last day, we were lucky as the train didn't leave until the evening so we talked about what we wanted to do on our last day. Kate cam up with a plan and wrote it on her phone. We followed it pretty well and we managed to do Peter Pan and Buzz in the morning!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 19, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
clochette
Apprentice Imagineer

Loving reading along. I like your "spirited" discussion. I think you are both right, lol. You shouldn't compare the two but there are one or two simple tweaks they could make at DLP to make it better. I haven't been since they started using lineberty and I have to confess, it fills me with dread!

Every time we have ridden Crush (which isn't many because of the long waits!) it has gone tech. In fact the first time we rode it, it went tech while we were on it and we were stuck on the hill in the dark for what felt like forever! DD was traumatized!

I think my favourite ride is the Fairytale boats; there's just somehow cute about it.
clochette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 19, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by clochette View Post
Loving reading along. I like your "spirited" discussion. I think you are both right, lol. You shouldn't compare the two but there are one or two simple tweaks they could make at DLP to make it better. I haven't been since they started using lineberty and I have to confess, it fills me with dread!

Every time we have ridden Crush (which isn't many because of the long waits!) it has gone tech. In fact the first time we rode it, it went tech while we were on it and we were stuck on the hill in the dark for what felt like forever! DD was traumatized!

I think my favourite ride is the Fairytale boats; there's just somehow cute about it.
I'm glad you liked the discussion, obviously we are not experts at DLP. Or wdw for that matter. I think Kate thought my suggestions were from a negative place but I really do think small changes could be made for the better.

I was not a fan of line berty, I'm not sure if I made that clear

I do however like that we could use our cheapo buffet credit as part payment and that is something that WDW could learn and use to make the QS credit have a particular value that can be used as part payment for a TS meal would be pretty awesome. I suppose that is not in their interest though as everyone with the qsdp would be trading up, rather than actually paying OOP and having masses of QS credits leftover which they do at the moment.

Poor you being stuck on Crush, it did seem to often be closed perhaps that adds to the wait time too.

The fairy tale boat ride was great. I do really enjoy the tamer rides, they are more to my sort of taste. Sometimes I like the big coasters and sometimes I'm just doing them for the others who love them. I wished there were more clamshell rides at DLP, under the sea and the nemo ride are 2 of my favourite rides and they are about my sort of level in terms of thrills.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 19, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Sounds like a great debate over lunch!

I didn’t mind the cold when we went last Feb but DH was miserable. We only had one sunny day and he was so much happier that day! Hopefully Florida in Oct will be more to his liking!
I haven’t experienced the character line app but I don’t like what you’ve told us about it...only getting to see one character, and that’s only if you’re fast on your phone...rubbish!

How annoying about that pushy mum for the fireworks I saw a fun tip about dealing with people recording the shows - sing really badly and loudly right next to their device so even if they don’t move, you have the petty revenge of knowing you’ve made their subpar recording even worse!
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
Sounds like a great debate over lunch!

I didn’t mind the cold when we went last Feb but DH was miserable. We only had one sunny day and he was so much happier that day! Hopefully Florida in Oct will be more to his liking!
I haven’t experienced the character line app but I don’t like what you’ve told us about it...only getting to see one character, and that’s only if you’re fast on your phone...rubbish!

How annoying about that pushy mum for the fireworks I saw a fun tip about dealing with people recording the shows - sing really badly and loudly right next to their device so even if they don’t move, you have the petty revenge of knowing you’ve made their subpar recording even worse!
I was surprised the cold bothered me, but somehow it's more pleasant to stand around waiting in the heat than it is in the cold. Or at least it is for me. Fingers crossed your DH prefers the Florida heat.

Potentially we could have got 2 meet and greets as we both had phones and you can book for the whole party. It was so weird that my phone didn't work. We both have Samsung phones and mine is newer than Kate's so it was bizarre that it worked perfectly for her and all I got was error messages.

I love the singing loudly and off key tip. I can do that. I would then be gleeful at the idea that whenever they watched their recording I'd be there too

Old 13 Apr 19, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

Sympathies for the annoyance at fireworks. We experienced the same this week, staking out our location 45 mins before the start but then needing to defend our space constantly before and during the fantastic show. My DD was pretty upset about it but I just tried to tell her to focus on the show and not let the rudeness ruin it for her.
Remy wasn’t as good an experience for us.
Our 2 moans about DLP: slow, poor service and people’s lack of consideration for our personal space.
I know what you mean about the weather (I love it hot) but riding BTM in EMT in the cold rain on our first morning was quite a memory
flo-tinka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by flo-tinka View Post
Sympathies for the annoyance at fireworks. We experienced the same this week, staking out our location 45 mins before the start but then needing to defend our space constantly before and during the fantastic show. My DD was pretty upset about it but I just tried to tell her to focus on the show and not let the rudeness ruin it for her.
Remy wasn’t as good an experience for us.
Our 2 moans about DLP: slow, poor service and people’s lack of consideration for our personal space.
I know what you mean about the weather (I love it hot) but riding BTM in EMT in the cold rain on our first morning was quite a memory
It's a shame really, I suppose there are entitled people everywhere. If having a good view for the fireworks is important then you turn up early. It seems like not everybody got that memo though and pushed their way to the front. It wasn't a particularly enjoyable experience for me because of this as I was just cross with her.

Obviously we wore warm clothes and made sure we wrapped up well, but it seems that I would much prefer to be in a theme park when it's hot than when it's cold. It wasn't even that I was cold, I had gloves, scarf, hat etc that I didn't need to use. I doubt you will get forget your ride on BTM in the rain though!

Old 13 Apr 19, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Just so you know for future reference with the lineberty app. There are another batch of meet and greet times released at 2.15pm each day - so you can try at 9.45am and 2.15pm.

You can only have one character slot at a time, it is to stop people booking up loads and leaving others with none. It is far from perfect but just thought that might help others

And of course character meets in the Disneyland Park don't need lineberty - just queue up and wait as normal.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Stubbs86 View Post
Just so you know for future reference with the lineberty app. There are another batch of meet and greet times released at 2.15pm each day - so you can try at 9.45am and 2.15pm.

You can only have one character slot at a time, it is to stop people booking up loads and leaving others with none. It is far from perfect but just thought that might help others

And of course character meets in the Disneyland Park don't need lineberty - just queue up and wait as normal.
Yes I think we saw that we could book up more later in the afternoon. Good idea to clarify. I'm glad it was just us and that it was only one character per phone. Of course if my phone was working with the app then we'd have had 2 characters. If you're on the ball at the right time it's a perfect system. Just a shame for those who don't know about it.

We did meet a few characters the old fashioned way by queueing up in the main park and while the wait times were fairly long at around 30 to 45 minutes it was great to be able to just get in line and know we would meet them eventually.

Old 14 Apr 19, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

I can imagine having a similar debate about DLP vs WDW when we visit in May. I think it is inevitable you will compare, but do so with an open mind (if that makes sense?).
I couldn’t cope with a trip anywhere in the cold. I love the heat and a roasting Florida August is perfect for me. The cold would make me miserable before I’d even started! I’d love to visit DLP at Halloween or Christmas but the weather puts me off.

We’ve decided not to bother with that Lineberty thing at all and just queue for any characters we really want to meet in the Disneyland park. It all sounds far too stressful.

I’ve made a note re Crush. No avoiding at least a jog, if we want to ride it with anything like a reasonable wait

Thanks for sharing. Really enjoyed reading this.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List