Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Jun 19, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Mollydollyholly
A Guest at All-Stars

Gla or Man that is the question

Guys , I’ve had a costs for June 2020 for 5 adults 3 kids from Glasgow and Manchester from TC and Manchester is about £1800 cheaper at the moment, been many times but always flew from Glasgow direct and also the one stop route , Quandary is should I wait to see if the costs from the North come down and more flights are available or book from Manchester, we really don’t mind the drive down as it’s much the same as a 1 stop journey .
Manchester cost is £3760 for 8 including bags n seats in Econ, Any thoughts guys
Mollydollyholly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

I guess you've got to think what £1800 could buy you.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
For £1800 I wouldn't even have to think about it ! Surprised that it's such a big amount though, last few times we've looked, the savings haven't matched the hassle & if anything it's been negligible. What about indirect through Gatwick? We've done Man route a few times but it's the drive back up that's the killer !
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
willow
Imagineer

Have you looked at flying from Edinburgh? We found the flights a good bit cheaper from Edinburgh going via Manchester with Virgin than going direct from Glasgow. There was over £200 price difference.

Indian Creek 2004,Radison 2005
Indian Creek 2007,Calabry Park 2009
Lake Wilson Preserve 2011,2013, 2015,2016,2017,2018, 2019,2020
willow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

You could do what scottisnellie does and book Manchester to lock in the good price.

She then monitors the Gla prices and if they come down far enough changes the flight. (usually the return leg) as they go to MAN by train.
sotagals is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
weeleighluigi
Imagineer

Manchester... I wouldn't even consider Glasgow with that saving.

For 6 of us this year we saved 1300 flying from Manchester instead of Glasgow ( we often use Manchester but if we find Glasgow a similar price we jump on it... we are west coast of Scotland. Manchester is 6 hours away!)

We payed 60 for hotel the night before. 70 quid for parking the car for 2 weeks.
Our car just sniffs fuel, so we will be max 50 quid for fuel. The only other thing we will be paying out is food.

We would have had to pay parking and food and about 20 quid fuel if we flew from Glasgow, and stayed at hubby's mum's the night before, so really it's only costing us about 100 quid... a saving of 1200 to fly from Manchester...

It's a no brainer

If you book the premier inns at runger lane really early, you can get the rooms for as little as 29 quid!
weeleighluigi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Mollydollyholly
A Guest at All-Stars

Journey would be just over 3hrs for us , flights at 11am so it’s leave at 4ish and your right I would still have to park the cars at Glasgow, it’s only time and petrol ⛽️, so it’s a good saving unless something turns up from up here 👍
Mollydollyholly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Persnicketty
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mollydollyholly View Post
Journey would be just over 3hrs for us , flights at 11am so it’s leave at 4ish and your right I would still have to park the cars at Glasgow, it’s only time and petrol ⛽️, so it’s a good saving unless something turns up from up here 👍
Manchester. No brainer.

We live less than 15 mins from Glasgow Airport which is really handy, but only for Europe.

And we've been travelling to the USA since 1989. when we got married there. (Air 2000, stop off at Prestwick to change flight crew to beat air travel regs)

I see a lot of folk on various forums over the years speak of getting competitive direct prices out of Glasgow for Florida, even in June, which is when we are locked into for job reasons.

Now, I'm an obsessive and I enjoy the price research. I know how to price compare. Where to look. How often to look. How to tweak search terms. Which search aggregators offer best search results etc. And i know how to barter price.

In 30 years, with very rare exceptions, I have NEVER seen consistent bargains out of Glasgow. Especially in June due to the local school summer holiday schedule when prices balloon to silly levels.

(I'm not dissing those lucky folk who brag of great prices out of Glasgow in recent years. But I'd suggest they secured a fluke price. Or are speaking of low season bargains... which are also rare frankly).

Honestly not meaning to humble brag, but the best price incl SUV i could get out of Glasgow for my brood of 6 for this month was £5750... which isn't the worst, but far from good.

Going from Glasgow this Saturday with BA via Gatwick we managed it, with a little patience and perseverence, for £3200

So yep, go with your Manchester option over Glasgow, for sure.
Persnicketty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
trampslikeus
Apprentice Imagineer

I have found BA from EDI or GLA via Gatwick to offer the best value option, but for less than £400pp for direct from Manchester looks a tempting option.
Savings far outweigh the convenience
trampslikeus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Definitely Manchester if saving such an amount I wouldn't even need to think about it. We saved a similar amount flying from Gatwick in 2017. Yes the long journey home was pretty awful but it was a case of that or not going at all for us.

Saving £1800 that would be like getting all your Disney tickets for free !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List