Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 8 May 19, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Yes may be but if you are not going to own there or even stay there it won't effect the owners at other resorts and if you do buy there then as it will be in effect from the on set it still won't make any difference either ad you won't know any difference...

At the end of the day this will have NO effect on current members and their ability to book rooms at the current resorts.
Hi Hal, I have zero interest in staying or buying here but it does make a difference to owners from other resorts who may want to stay at the seven month window. It reduces availability and thus possibility of securing a room.

One of the aspects I’ve most valued about DVC is the ability (albeit not guaranteed, I know) to stay at different resorts.
Old 8 May 19, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
BigH I think you are missing the point as the total number of points per resort is set, those cabins, that no-one can "afford" to stay in!, are in the "pot" so for every Poly Cabin they can sell 8 studios worth of points, CC it's 6, hence the reason there is now a shortage of studios. At my 7 month window, only 3 resorts had full availability for a week- SSR,OKW,BWV- look now & there's nothing.
Using Poly as the example:
20 units at 841/week during Value = 16820 available points/week
Min buy in 100 so theoretically 168 contracts/week, 360 studios...
With the min buy in now 75-100 across WDW , it's an awful lot of contracts all "fishing in the same pond" IYKWIM.
I'm not moaning as generally we are booking on the 11 month window but I do think that moving anything at 7 months will become more difficult.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Did any one complain about how expensive point wise it costs to book the 3 bed grand villas at the other resorts? No they don't and they can cost more. As every one knows the main rule about DVC is own where you want to stay.
Nobody knows what will happen next, when the new resort becomes available for sale they might restrict owners from booking elsewhere for all we know. I still maintain it won't effect the vast majority of DVC owners, most won't know any different or even care if they did.

If people don't like it they can sell up, nothing stopping them from doing so.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I can't see any benefit to staying here over CCV so can't see it ever happening therefore it has no bearing on me, the only way this resort has affected me is by the rental bikes & walking trail ceasing during construction!

We were talking about nabbing an available cabin for our last night in December this am, both of us were quite tempted, then at 102 points, renting those points would almost pay our dues for half a year! There's just absolutely no way I could justify it in my mind, whilst I'm all for a bit of luxury and treating ourselves, it's a hideous amount of points per night. Nice that we have these options to consider though even if we'll never use them!

Wild Africa Trek photo report

Edited at 10:34 AM. Reason: Terrible maths!
PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Hal- it's Disney Vacation CLUB. We are meant to be booking at other resorts. Otherwise why sell it as a Club, call it a club, market and sell it as a club, or have the Buena Vista Trading Company to handle the trades?
Certainly others are booking at your resort, and you are paying dues for facilities at your resort which others are enjoying. If you never want to stay outside your home resort, that's your choice, but it's ridiculous to suggest that cabins do not impact on members. Many members buy simply because they can experience different resorts i.e they bought into a Club, just as it's sold (at handsome profit) by DVD.
CCV cabins have even impacted on owners there, try getting Xmas. It's walking at 11 months. They were even walking 1 beds this year. Many owners (not people trading in which is impossible at peak times) are complaining about non availibility at that resort but it depends if you go at peak time. It's also got worse as it's neared sell out. But guess what, I can get a cabin no problem.
I'm at a loss why you think it's moaning for moaning's sake to say the cabins are a bad idea for the membership. They sleep 8, points cost per night per person is much higher than grand villas which sleep 12. There is also demand for Grand Villas, evidenced by the fact they don't show in the late availibility constantly like the cabins and bungalows do, so the points are being used and not going into breakage. It's not the points cost that's the issue, it's demand.
As to 'You can sell up if you don't like it' that's not a stance I agree with. It's real estate, like my house. If my homeowner's association, local council, neighbours etc do something that I consider is not in the interests of me as an owner, I don't just sell up. You may, but that isn't me at all. Why should I just sell up?

Edited at 10:17 AM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

Got to admit when I looked around at CC the cabins blew me away but then the points value of those cabins made me realise I'd never stay there. I see a fair few complaints from CC owners as to them not being able to get availability so then they have to choose another resort, this means availability at the other resorts goes down.
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by unixgirl View Post
Got to admit when I looked around at CC the cabins blew me away but then the points value of those cabins made me realise I'd never stay there. I see a fair few complaints from CC owners as to them not being able to get availability so then they have to choose another resort, this means availability at the other resorts goes down.
We must be very lucky, so far we've managed a one bed immediately before Easter at just under 6 months & a studio for the 1st week of December (very busy DVC time due to low point cost) at around 10 1/2 months. Admittedly I had to waitlist 1 night on the latter, but it came through in days.

So IME as long as you're on the ball at 11 months (which I'm generally not but still seem to manage) you can get what you want.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 19, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

I'm more gutted that fort wilderness will be affected so much - we loved tri circle ranch last time so I hope they are relocating it somewhere and also had a lovely unexpected evening on the beach which we really enjoyed so sad it is going to be built on.
Old 8 May 19, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by skstorm View Post
I'm more gutted that fort wilderness will be affected so much - we loved tri circle ranch last time so I hope they are relocating it somewhere and also had a lovely unexpected evening on the beach which we really enjoyed so sad it is going to be built on.
We haven't done any of the activities in Fort Wilderness but I know they are very popular. Sad that things go but I suppose it's all in the name of progress.

I have very very strong views about DVC/DVD as an organisation now and none of them are good. Up until the Points chart debacle I felt things were fine.
Perks came and perks went. Annual Dues rose and the rises were reasonable. That's life.

However I am now waiting with bated breath to see how they intend to shaft me in the future, and yes it will come.

I have so much gratitude for people who challenged them on that issue and won.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 19, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
crux
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
We haven't done any of the activities in Fort Wilderness but I know they are very popular. Sad that things go but I suppose it's all in the name of progress.

I have very very strong views about DVC/DVD as an organisation now and none of them are good. Up until the Points chart debacle I felt things were fine.
Perks came and perks went. Annual Dues rose and the rises were reasonable. That's life.

However I am now waiting with bated breath to see how they intend to shaft me in the future, and yes it will come.

I have so much gratitude for people who challenged them on that issue and won.
I agree with that. The 'shine' has gone from DVC now and it appears to be just like any other Timeshare company rather than being better / different. We have two contracts and with the points reallocation we were looking at selling our small contract. However, even though the changes were reversed the writing is on the wall for Studio points and we're now planning on selling bigger contract. So if anyone is looking for a 150 point Boulder Ridge, there will be one for sale later this year 😉
Beach Club Villas 2003 2006 2009 2012 2014 2015 2018
Boardwalk Villas 2016
crux is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List