Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 May 19, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Welcome to the Dibb! I’ve never travelled solo but wanted to advise to consider waiting for a room discount as a solo traveller rather than free dining. Even paying for all your food that’s likely to represent a better saving for only one person in the room. Also gives you total flexibility with food. If I were travelling solo I’d maximise use of the bars and bar menus. I like that type of food though! Not perhaps as potentially uncomfortable as a restaurant (I know lots of solos done in restaurants but not everyone) and the bars are lovely and a change from quick service. I’d definitely stay in site but you don’t need to be a prisoner. Uber is very cheap and efficient you just need some wi wi or data on your phone. There are lots of tours you can consider which I would do if going solo. People are friendly and you will find folks to chat to. Difficult to suggest a resort without knowing your budget. Value I can’t comment on. My favourite moderates are POFQ and POR and my favourite deluxe is AKL. The latter has three great on site restaurants and a decent quick service. Some fun and free resort based activities too. Happy planning.
Old 16 May 19, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
Welcome to the Dibb! I’ve never travelled solo but wanted to advise to consider waiting for a room discount as a solo traveller rather than free dining. Even paying for all your food that’s likely to represent a better saving for only one person in the room. Also gives you total flexibility with food. If I were travelling solo I’d maximise use of the bars and bar menus. I like that type of food though! Not perhaps as potentially uncomfortable as a restaurant (I know lots of solos done in restaurants but not everyone) and the bars are lovely and a change from quick service. I’d definitely stay in site but you don’t need to be a prisoner. Uber is very cheap and efficient you just need some wi wi or data on your phone. There are lots of tours you can consider which I would do if going solo. People are friendly and you will find folks to chat to. Difficult to suggest a resort without knowing your budget. Value I can’t comment on. My favourite moderates are POFQ and POR and my favourite deluxe is AKL. The latter has three great on site restaurants and a decent quick service. Some fun and free resort based activities too. Happy planning.
I do travel solo and it's free dining all the way for me. No need to worry about money for food, it's all accounted for in advance. I can't drive so being in the Disney bubble is ideal for me. I don't like going into bars at home solo and wouldn't do it in another country but am perfectly happy going into normal restaurants. Since I do my own cooking at home have meals made for me is a real luxury
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 06:31 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
I do travel solo and it's free dining all the way for me. No need to worry about money for food, it's all accounted for in advance. I can't drive so being in the Disney bubble is ideal for me. I don't like going into bars at home solo and wouldn't do it in another country but am perfectly happy going into normal restaurants. Since I do my own cooking at home have meals made for me is a real luxury
Thank you for the shouty bold text but my reasonable point isn’t really whether one does or doesn’t travel solo. It’s about the maths. A room discount and cost of the dining plan can both be calculated so it is sensible to do that calculation and decide which works out the best value. I have experienced travelling as a duo on a 30% room discount and spending the cost of the dining plan our of pocket and spending the same as free QS dining deal at a moderate resort and eating TS daily and staying deluxe. It’s just a maths response.
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
Thank you for the shouty bold text but my reasonable point isn’t really whether one does or doesn’t travel solo. It’s about the maths. A room discount and cost of the dining plan can both be calculated so it is sensible to do that calculation and decide which works out the best value. I have experienced travelling as a duo on a 30% room discount and spending the cost of the dining plan our of pocket and spending the same as free QS dining deal at a moderate resort and eating TS daily and staying deluxe. It’s just a maths response.
I wasn't shouting. If I was I would have responded to your post with all caps which is what online shouting is. I'm sorry you thought that. I was simply emphasing that I do travel solo so have experience of it and by your own admission you don't travel solo so don't have experience of it. As regards the maths side of it, I understood what you were saying and I was simply stating my solo traveling experience.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

I think the advice by scoobydooby is good advice. For a solo traveller the discount may prove to be better value than free dining. I've done both and free dining was too much food and required me to book. I used the free nights discount and then decided to book QS on one trip - the last trip I didn't even bother with QS. Each to their own, if you prefer restaurant meals and the knowledge that all is paid for in advance that's great, if not then look at the other options.
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 12:41 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkspideruk
Imagineer

pinkspideruk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I've done disney solo and whilst I did enjoy it it did feel a bit awkward at first (not helped by a group of teenagers catcalling me when they asked if any single riders were in the queue for ToT as i came forward!) but generally you just getting chatting to people in the lines and stuff.

I'm gonna be there from 20th sept for 3 weeks and although I am with family I often end doing parks by myself as my mum and niece dont do scary rides and my niece is autistic so sometimes needs time off from the parks

Sep 01 - Sep 20 Universal Endless Summer Surfside
pinkspideruk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List