Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 23 Jul 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
ynwa2009
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
Your welcome 🙂 I will try and hunt down the name of the deli for you. The owner is such a lovely man.

Me and ds went to Pompeii last year, think it was Sept time when we were staying in Naples. It was really hot my advice would be to cover up/lots of cream on and take lots of water/juice as the cafe is expensive. Pompeii is all open and there is a lot of walking in it. We were there for 5 hours I think and by the end of it we were both done in. It was really lovely to see as it had been on my list for years. You will need good comfy walking shoes.
Thank you

Wow 5 hours, plus the 2-3 hours travel and the heat,it may have to have another trip to Naples one day and go from there
ynwa2009 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
We did Pompeii on the same trip as Rome, but we did a two centre holiday moving onto Sorrento after Rome, from where it's an easy train trip to both Pomeii and Herculaneum. I had wanted to visit since I was a child and it didn't disappoint but I wouldn't have wanted to do it from Rome, it's just a bit too far as well as tiring with the amount of walking required and unbelievably hot in summer.

Debra
Old 23 Jul 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

Just wanted to add, we found food very reasonable in Italy. We had two young children in the group so didn't eat any place fancy but found too much good food everywhere we turned. Warning, a small pizza will feed three or four.

You absolutely must plan gelato breaks.

Also the forum is really worth a visit. If up to our group. they would chose the forum over the colloseum.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

This thread is making me want to go back to Rome 😍 I've been twice and loved it.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 19, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tetrarch View Post
We did Pompeii on the same trip as Rome, but we did a two centre holiday moving onto Sorrento after Rome, from where it's an easy train trip to both Pomeii and Herculaneum. I had wanted to visit since I was a child and it didn't disappoint but I wouldn't have wanted to do it from Rome, it's just a bit too far as well as tiring with the amount of walking required and unbelievably hot in summer.

Debra
We are planning to go next July on a two centre trip. We are planning 3 nights in Rome then 6 or 7 in Sorrento. I was wondering how you travelled from Rome to Sorrento? I have heard there is a direct bus which takes around 4 hours and it’s very cheap so this seems a good option. I guess flying is another option but would be more expensive.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Castel Sant’Angelo

Palatine Hill

Forum

Circus Maximus

Hardrock Cafe 😄

Largo de Torre Argentina (also known as the Cat sanctuary) here they have located the Temple of Pompeii (where J Caesar was assassinated).

Altare della Patria (Also known as the Wedding cake).

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 07:12 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 19, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
We are planning to go next July on a two centre trip. We are planning 3 nights in Rome then 6 or 7 in Sorrento. I was wondering how you travelled from Rome to Sorrento? I have heard there is a direct bus which takes around 4 hours and it’s very cheap so this seems a good option. I guess flying is another option but would be more expensive.
We have done this .

You go to the Rome railway station and catch the ‘Frecciarosa’ train to Napoli Station. It takes 1 hour 11 minutes, has no other stops and does around 190mph on the way .. as it passes Monte Cassino. This train is immaculate and of an airliner standard.

On arrival at Napoli, you go to the back right of the terminal where you will see a ticket office for the Circumvesuvia train where you buy tickets before going down the steps to the platforms.
1. Be aware that there are two platforms and two different routes.. only one goes to Sorrento (passing Herculaneum and Pompeii.
2. You buy a ticket that gives you a time band, say an hour. As you go to the platform, you put it in a machine that clips it with a start time. You then have the appropriate one hour to complete the journey. Sounds complicated, but it isn’t.
The Circumvesuvia can politely be described as an ‘experience ‘. It is crowded, has many stops and is a toilet of a train. It will have Roma on board and pickpocketing can happen. Take appropriate precautions. It is regarded as perfectly safe and is heavily used by fellow tourists.
On arrival at Sorrento, the platform is effectively at the top of town centre (See google maps).

We did a 14 day Sorrento Holiday and had a 3 day break to Rome in the middle, (having previously vacationed in Rome). It was absolutely brilliant.

Hope it helps!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 07:17 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 19, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
We have done this a few times.

You go to the Rome railway station and catch the ‘Frecciarosa’ train to Napoli Station. It takes 1 hour 11 minutes, has no other stops and does around 190mph on the way .. as it passes Monte This train is immaculate and of an airliner standard.

On arrival at Napoli, you go to the back right of the terminal where you will see a ticket office for the Circumvesuvia train where you buy tickets before going down the steps to the platforms.
1. Be aware that there are two platforms and two different routes.. only one goes to Sorrento (passing Herculaneum and Pompeii.
2. You buy a ticket that gives you a time band, say an hour. As you go to the platform, you put it in a machine that clips it with a start time. You then have the appropriate one hour to complete the journey. Sounds complicated, but it isn’t.
The Circumvesuvia can politely be described as an ‘experience ‘. It is crowded, has many stops and is a toilet of a train. It will have Roma on board and pickpocketing can happen. Take appropriate precautions.
On arrival at Sorrento, the platform is effectively at the top of town centre (See google maps).

We did a 14 day Sorrento Holiday and had a 3 day break to Rome in the middle, (having previously vacationed in Rome). It was absolutely brilliant.

Hope it helps!
Thank you, it does help 😀 . Not sure whether to fly, go by train or bus yet but with all the info we can decide which works best for us. The train sounds quick though 😀
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 19, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Thank you, it does help 😀 . Not sure whether to fly, go by train or bus yet but with all the info we can decide which works best for us. The train sounds quick though 😀
If you plane, then you arrive on the other side of Napoli and will probably still end up using the Circumvesuvia.
It will have cost more as you will have had to get to a Rome Airport and planes cost a lot more than trains
It will take longer due to security, aircraft loading etc.

Bus I don’t know about.

The train is quick, cheap, an experience and very simple. I have friends who have happily done a day trip to Pompeii from Rome (I wouldn’t!)

One top tip.. dont get a hire car in Sorrento.(or Rome). You don’t need one and in any case, the Scooter riders are an absolute liability. I wanted to drive the Amalfi road to lovely Positano, but cancelled my carhire, using a bus instead when I saw the standard of driving/riding.

A really great thing to do in Sorrento is hire out a rib type boat for the day. (I am not a boat person). It cost around 180 eu and I went round Capri, around to Positano and Amalfi, had a picnic, anchored for a very secluded swim etc. It was amazing.

Again, hoping it helps.

Edited at 08:07 PM.
Old 2 Sep 19, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
If you plane, then you arrive on the other side of Napoli and will probably still end up using
It will have cost more as you will have had to get to a Rome Airport and planes cost a lot more than trains
It will take longer due to security, aircraft loading etc.

Bus I don’t know about.

The train is quick, cheap, an experience and very simple. I have friends who have happily done a day trip to Pompeii from Rome (I wouldn’t!)

One top tip.. dont get a hire car in Sorrento.(or Rome). You don’t need one and in any case, the Scooter riders are an absolute liability. I wanted to drive the Amalfi road to lovely Positano, but cancelled my carhire, using a bus instead when I saw the standard of driving/riding.

A really great thing to do in Sorrento is hire out a rib type boat for the day. (I am not a boat person). It cost around 180 eu and I went round Capri, around to Positano and Amalfi, had a picnic, anchored for a very secluded swim etc. It was amazing.

Again, hoping it helps.
Thank you, I definitely think plane won’t be an option 😀

We definitely will be using the train for getting around. We never use a hire car as DH doesn’t like driving abroad and we have heard Italy is one of the worst places to drive so he wouldn’t start there 😂 I do fancy a drive along the Amalfi Coast though so will look into a bus for this. The rib boat sounds lovely too.

Thanks again for the advice
Sue