Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Jul 19, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scojos View Post
The issue is parents who have shielded their kids never allowed thrm to breathe drink etc.
My husband is european over there kids drink diluted alcohol from a young age and they dont have thr issues with binge drinking we do in UK.
My kids have never seen alcohol as taboo and have a v balanced attitude...
And im not saying they didnt get drunk but they didnt need their stomach s pumped or do stupid stuff.
1 prom party was at alarge house of friends.
No 2 prom party was a paddock (horses field) that had been turned into glastonbury with fairy lights and tentsand a pile of food to cook on firepit.
No 3 was last night and a houseparty.
Waiting to see if she comes come waith a hangover lmao
I have to offer a different experience of kids being allowed to drink - for me its down to the individual on how they are going to behave with alcohol. I have three boys and I rarely drink so consequently no drink left around the house etc or did they see me drink. My eldest loves his drink and will quite happily get drunk every weekend to the excess , my middle son is like me and rarely touches it, yet alone go out and get drunk . They were both brought up the same - its down to their attitudes not mine. I have a feeling my youngest who is only 16 and has had the odd drink will be a mixture of my other two sons.
Old 5 Jul 19, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Sensible girls here, their after prom was at my friends house, 10 of them in a tent in the garden, it was all decked out with lights, music etc. Was a Monday night so they were considerate of neighbours. One of mine doesn’t drink, the other had 2 cans of cider. They stayed over and came home about 2 the following afternoon. After prom clothes were pj’s!

Other bigger after-proms took place but my 2 didn’t want to go. Their circle is far more sensible than I was at the same age. I suggest things and they look at me like I’m nuts. They are living up to being “generation sensible” at the moment, long may it continue though I’m ready for it to change once they start 6th form!

Edited at 11:19 AM.
Twin mummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

So after parties are definitely a thing nowadays lol I don’t drink but would not force my views on my children. They live and learn. I just hope to guide them so they learn safely lol
I am actually getting quite anxious regarding the after party. My daughter is sensible but one never knows! My main concern is her diabetes... don’t think I will be sleeping tonight
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
So after parties are definitely a thing nowadays lol I don’t drink but would not force my views on my children. They live and learn. I just hope to guide them so they learn safely lol
I am actually getting quite anxious regarding the after party. My daughter is sensible but one never knows! My main concern is her diabetes... don’t think I will be sleeping tonight
She sounds like she is a sensible girl so try not to worry. It’s just the start of her becoming an adult and taking responsibility for herself, mistakes will be made but they will hopefully learn from them.
I hope she has a lovely night x
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

im sure it will be fine, these after proms seem to be splinter groups/peers/cliques rather than the whole year

if you daughters pals are all of a similar outlook then she will be fine

my daughters 'squad' are mostly based around the performing arts groups she is in at school, none of these are half as bad as some of the crackers at her school, she shows me on instagram/snapchat, smoking drinking down the railway lines at night etc
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Proms are generally after GCSE/A level - but our school has a small year so the kids go in Y10/Y11 to the GCSE leavers prom and in Y12/13 to the A level leavers ball - at least (if not more than) half of the kids are still in school. Makes for a more... civilised... occasion
Why would that make it more civilised? I haven’t heard of any proms locally that weren’t civilised.
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
Sensible girls here, their after prom was at my friends house, 10 of them in a tent in the garden, it was all decked out with lights, music etc. Was a Monday night so they were considerate of neighbours. One of mine doesn’t drink, the other had 2 cans of cider. They stayed over and came home about 2 the following afternoon. After prom clothes were pj’s!

Other bigger after-proms took place but my 2 didn’t want to go. Their circle is far more sensible than I was at the same age. I suggest things and they look at me like I’m nuts. They are living up to being “generation sensible” at the moment, long may it continue though I’m ready for it to change once they start 6th form!
This is exactly my DD. Her and 5 of her friends had a sleepover, no alcohol involved just listened to music until the early hours and watched High School Musical 😂

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Try not to worry she sounds like a very sensible girl. Easier said than done though!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

My dds prom is tonight and she's out at the moment getting hair and makeup done.

We are having a pre prom gathering at our house 5-6pm for a glass of prosecco as there are 6 girls leaving from our house in DHs camper van.

Then there is a after prom party that one of the boys is having at his house in a marquee in the garden, it's so well organised with entry wrist bands, food, DJ (one of the boys) etc... It finishes at 2am and some are sleeping in tents in the garden! 😂

I'm really pleased that some of the parents are prepared to organise such a fab event and that there are a few adults in the shadows keeping an eye out.

I'm a little jealous as there wasn't proms in my day either and I don't consider myself to be old, but clearly I am! 😳

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

My sons prom was last night. After prom was fairly early. Prom ended early with everyone leaving just after 10pm. He'd gone with 4 other lads. They all planned to go to the beach after. As parents we all discussed what the back up plans were if they wanted to come home etc. I have allowed him to drink and to be fair he's a pretty sensible lad. He rang me at 2am to say they were all walking back together. DD nearly 20 never drank much until she went to uni briefly where she more than made up for it 😳