Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Jul 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
MSB
Excited about Disney

Revolut is my card of choice (I work in the foreign exchange area of financial services).
It's easy to set up and you can get more than one card (helps if you're worried you might lose one).
You use the app to top up in sterling direct from your bank acct then convert into USD as much you want to, and as and when you want to. As long as you convert Mon-Fri you will get pretty much a straight market rate, if you convert at weekends then there is about half a cent margin. There is no commision or fee when you use it because you are spending USD, not GBP.
Another advantage is that you control the card via the app so if you lose one you can freeze it instantly to stop anyone using it - or if you are really worried you can convert the USD back to sterling and then transfer back to your bank acct.
Hope this helps :-)
MSB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
2017dream
Excited about Disney

Thanks everyone for all your help

Think we will look at taking a mix, cash, card and CC will look into the revolut and starling cards

Thanks again
2017dream is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Trebor1
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We're taking mix of cash and Halifax Clarity cred card. That should hopefully cover all bases
Old 19 Jul 19, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Check insurance. Its unlikely to cover £1000s in cash...

Don't think it'll happen to you? Story the other day about a lady who got robbed in the airport $3000 if I remember. All her cash. Gone. Insurance paid out £500. Which they had to make last for two weeks...
paulfoel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Donz1979
Imagineer

Mobile

Ive just received Claxton card. Great rates, controlled using app and signed up through martin lewis website and got £30 free when loaded £500!
Just used it to pay for our esta
Donz1979 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
wozwebs
Getting Excited

In 2016 I only took $50 cash and just used the Clarity card for everything including a couple of ice creams from the little carts in Disney. Kids are taking $150 each this time that they have saved / grandparents have given them but think I will just use the card all the time. Can add tips to most of the chip and pin machines at restaurants now also.
wozwebs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We save our spending money before we go and then use a fee free credit card when we are there. Pay it off at the end of week one on the app while on holiday then again when we are in the airport waiting to fly home. I take less and less in cash every year. Planning on taking no more than $500 next trip and only that much because I never want to be in a foreign country with no access to any cash. It’s not a rational thing! I will give my daughter her clothes spending money on a pre paid card. When it’s gone it’s gone.
Old 19 Jul 19, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Donz1979
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
We save our spending money before we go and then use a fee free credit card when we are there. Pay it off at the end of week one on the app while on holiday then again when we are in the airport waiting to fly home. I take less and less in cash every year. Planning on taking no more than $500 next trip and only that much because I never want to be in a foreign country with no access to any cash. It’s not a rational thing! I will give my daughter her clothes spending money on a pre paid card. When it’s gone it’s gone.
If u dont mind me asking how long is this $500 going to last? And are you offsite?
Im worried about how much to take.
Donz1979 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Donz1979 View Post
If u dont mind me asking how long is this $500 going to last? And are you offsite?
Im worried about how much to take.
I don’t mind at all. We never stay offsite. Sometimes we have ‘free’ dining other times not. We will probably bring most of it back if staying on site but as I said I use a fee free CC with the funds already saved to pay it off before we get home. I just have nightmares about global ATM failures and not having a bean on me! If we haven’t got a dining plan I budget $100 each a day and budget an extra amount of spending money if we’ve got it. With a dining plan I’d more than halve that. Depends on the trip too. I do occasional 9 night trips with just my daughter so we don’t go near a Mall or an Outlet. That means with $200 a day we can eat and shop well on property. As soon as you ‘go shopping’ the game changes. Me; I buy almost nothing after so many trips. The kids (now 17 and 20) can do major damage at the Outlets though... that’s why I am in favour of giving them a ore paid card. To budget it’s best to do your research. Work out average meal costs per day. Work out tips. Work out parking and petrol or Uber costs. Add 10%. Then decide how much more you want as the rest is avoidable with will power.

Edited at 11:10 PM.
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
metalguru
Apprentice Imagineer

metalguru's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by paulfoel View Post
Check insurance. Its unlikely to cover £1000s in cash...

Don't think it'll happen to you? Story the other day about a lady who got robbed in the airport $3000 if I remember. All her cash. Gone. Insurance paid out £500. Which they had to make last for two weeks...
This is why Travelers Cheques are best. As long as you save the slips with the serial numbers on you have them replaced free of charge. I used to copy the slips and have them in all my pieces of luggage.
metalguru is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List