Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 23 Jul 19, 01:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Loretta
Proud to wear my Ears

I’ve lived on the Cape for over fifty years, the supermarkets are a lot busier in the summer but I’ve yet to spend more than an hour. My daughter says it’s only like Tesco on a normal Saturday.
Loretta is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Loretta
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
We will be going on our cruise to Bermuda out of New York next Sunday for a week then driving over to Cape Cod, staying in Falmouth for 4 nights. I'm expecting it to busy but not sure how busy.
There are 7 of us with a load of luggage so we have had to rent a "bus" and I don't expect it to fit into a regular parking space. We can walk to the Martha's Vineyard ferry from our hotel and various other places but not expecting it to be easy finding a space when we go to Provincetown.
The last time we went to Cape Cod it was the first week in September, the weather was fantastic and it was fairly quiet.
Enjoy your time in Falmouth, we have some great independent restaurants.
Loretta is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

We had no problem parking anywhere, we did however stay in Hyannis for a couple of days for our visits to MV & Nantucket, we literally walked over the road Hyannis Harbour Hotel, this was possibly the busiest area As the ferry’s where very busy, can’t wait to get back to Boston & Cape Cod.

Edited at 08:55 AM.
evergreen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

Loretta,

I don't know which end of the Cape you are on but we vacationed in Brewster for years and our Saturday shop was always long and crowded. I would plan on a few hours at least, a good 30 minutes in line to check out/

I am planning a reunion trip next year and there do seem to be more supermarkets in the area now so that may help a little but we learned to bring a few days food to avoid shopping on arrival day.

ETA: i would never discourage anyone from visiting the Cape in the summer, but I think it fair to warn people that things can get crowded. Also you can avoid some crowds by adjusting your schedule a little.

Edited at 03:50 PM.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Loretta
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
Loretta,

I don't know which end of the Cape you are on but we vacationed in Brewster for years and our Saturday shop was always long and crowded. I would plan on a few hours at least, a good 30 minutes in line to check out/

I am planning a reunion trip next year and there do seem to be more supermarkets in the area now so that may help a little but we learned to bring a few days food to avoid shopping on arrival day.

ETA: i would never discourage anyone from visiting the Cape in the summer, but I think it fair to warn people that things can get crowded. Also you can avoid some crowds by adjusting your schedule a little.
I currently live in Falmouth but lived in Chatham in the sixties and seventies when the lower Cape pretty much shut down after Labor Day. Grocery shopping meant a trip to Dennis as the only other option was a small market (expensive) and a very unappealing A&P.
Old 23 Jul 19, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I worked in the summer in Falmouth in the 70's. Drove through a few years ago and didn't recognize the place (including the rather distinct round nursing home I worked at).

Things have changed but I don't think the Saturday to Saturday vacation home rental has much. I have spent too many hours on route 3 getting on to the Cape, finally making it to the house and then waiting in line in the grocery store (I think it's now a Stop and Shop in Orleans) just to pick up essentials.

I love the Cape but not Saturdays in the summer.

I hope you were safe from the crazy weather this morning. My son is in Plymouth and they had a lightening display like none they had seen before.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
I currently live in Falmouth but lived in Chatham in the sixties and seventies when the lower Cape pretty much shut down after Labor Day. Grocery shopping meant a trip to Dennis as the only other option was a small market (expensive) and a very unappealing A&P.
Loved the French Pastry shop & record shop on Main Street Falmouth, we had a lovely 3 nights at Seacrest Hotel.
evergreen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Echo18
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
Loved the French Pastry shop & record shop on Main Street Falmouth, we had a lovely 3 nights at Seacrest Hotel.
We visited Falmouth again this May. We love that part of the world and the kids really like the beach at Falmouth Heights - parking by the beach was no problem in May but it was much more challenging and expensive when we visited in August a few years ago.

We've got flights booked to Boston again next May half term and I expect we'll we back to Falmouth. I have a 10 year old who is obsessed with the Black Dog shop and was even more excited to find they'd opened a cafe too.

We had some really nice meals out in Falmouth which the kids enjoyed - Anejo, Crabapple's, the Quaterdeck, Simply Divine Pizza etc
Echo18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 12:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Loretta
Proud to wear my Ears

[QUOTE=evergreen;13972002]Loved the French Pastry shop & record shop on Main Street Falmouth, we had a lovely 3 nights at Seacrest Hotel.[/QUOTE
Agree I love the French Pastry shop but try not to indulge too often.
Old 24 Jul 19, 12:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Loretta
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Echo18 View Post
We visited Falmouth again this May. We love that part of the world and the kids really like the beach at Falmouth Heights - parking by the beach was no problem in May but it was much more challenging and expensive when we visited in August a few years ago.

We've got flights booked to Boston again next May half term and I expect we'll we back to Falmouth. I have a 10 year old who is obsessed with the Black Dog shop and was even more excited to find they'd opened a cafe too.

We had some really nice meals out in Falmouth which the kids enjoyed - Anejo, Crabapple's, the Quaterdeck, Simply Divine Pizza etc
Crabapples is one of my favorites. Spent a few hours there after a winter storm when I was without power for days. When I finished lunch the waitress told me to stay as long as I liked and charge my devices as well.