Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 13 Feb 11, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
001_ATLANTIS
Serious Dibber

Flight help wanted!

Looking to travel Edinburgh or Glasgow to Los Angeles in June, July or August (with a possible stopover in Las Vegas on the way out or on the way back, but not essential as there is the option of arranging this separately using US low cost airlines, or at worst driving).

I have been scanning comparison web sites for weeks now and the costs are prohibitively expensive (£800). Some of the flight durations are also horrendous. I saw one for 41 hours. Apparently you fly to Alsaka first! While I am not expecting a direct flight that is taking the concept of indirect flights just a bit too far!

Would really appreciate any advice / suggestions how to bag a reasonably priced flight. We have previously done this via New York with Continental and found it OK but the prices were never anywhere near where they are now.
001_ATLANTIS is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 11, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post

My advice is to keep looking on daily basis. We are going to Seattle at the end of May for a trip to the Pacific Northwest and initially flight prices were high (£650+ indirect, £800+ direct) but one weekend I was taking a look at eBookers and found a return flight with United (codeshare Continental) for £490pp plus 8.08% cashback so I snapped it up. This same flight the other day was priced at £826pp return! The flight times are not ideal, but we get into Seattle for 5pm outbound whereas I was seeing a lot of flights arriving mid to late evening which would have been disappointing and a waste of a whole day travelling.

In truth, June, July and August are going to be high. I said on another thread a few weeks back that anything under £600 for West Coast is a good deal but of course it seems that you are not even being offered that kind of price.

Keep looking
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 11, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
001_ATLANTIS
Serious Dibber

If I could get something indirect for around the £600 mark with reasonable flight times then I would grab it but all that is coming up requires multiple changes and hanging around airports forvery lengthy periods. Still hoping though!
001_ATLANTIS is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 11, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Ado
Excited about Disney

Ado's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Ditto to the poster above - keep looking every day. Check both comparision websites, but also check on the individual airline websites also. DH was searching for flights to Vegas for months..he eventually found return flights, including flying to Chicago overnight, to stay with my (best ever) friend, for 400euro return, directly with US Airways. It involves a stopover in Philadelphia both ways, but only for about 2 hours.

I've sometimes found the comparision websites aren't as good for the multi-trip - but yet on Expedia last year, we got return flights to San Francisco, home from LA, in June/July, for 1695 for the five of us (3 adults, 2 kids). Just keep searching every day, it's a PITA but so worth it when you hit the jackpot one day!
Ado is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 11, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I'm another voter for the just keep looking tactic.

We found flights to SFO, home from LAX, for c. £600 each. The prices had been hovering a good £200 or more higher, but I managed to snap up the cheaper ones. I would've thought you are more likely to get a bargain in June rather than end of July and August, due to the school holidays (which I am, unfortunately, stuc k with).
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 11, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarah84
Imagineer

I like to use Kayak.co.uk to search flight prices, as been mentioned you'll probably more likely to get a better deal for June than July & August.

We just flew to Vegas via LAX with AA which cost £430, though im guessing it was cheaper because it being february
Sarah84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 11, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread