Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 14 Apr 19, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Hello just bumping. Any restaurant recommendations please. Does anybody know if pre-booking will be required?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
sassysar
Apprentice Imagineer

sassysar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi we stayed in cabanas last year the restaurants are very busy and booking is a good idea .Often we just booked the night before as we walked home . Rota dos sabores was very good
The local specialty is steak or fish on a stone . It’s not cheap but I think you could easily share between 2 as the portions are huge .
There is a little pizza restaurant on the front which was delicious also
Service is very slow so take some cards and chill out . We were frustrated at first but then relaxed our expectations. However we went in August and it really was busy
It’s a lovely place and tavira very attractive
We shopped in tavira as it has a big supermarket with car park - continent I think
sassysar is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
sassysar
Apprentice Imagineer

sassysar's Reviews
We rented an apartment there was 4 of us and we ate mostly in cabanas as we could walk . It was a 20 min walk and we preferred to eat local so we could both have a glass of wine with our meal .
There is a pleasant boardwalk along the front and the sunset is beautiful across the water . Take the water taxi to the beach it’s well worth it . We expected to be using our car a lot but spent lots of time in the village
We went to tavira a few times and the market at Loule which was a bigger drive

Edited at 01:46 PM.
sassysar is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Thank you for this. Think I will have to do some further research on pre-booking restaurants. It will be peak season for us too. Contemplating renting a car for a few days rather than both weeks so it interesting to read your feedback.

The apartment we have rented is way back by the train station so can use train to Tavira or Faro or Monte Gordo to explore.

It's a bit late as aall booked but 6 out of 7 don't eat fish. Could be lean pickings for them then !
Old 14 Apr 19, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
sassysar
Apprentice Imagineer

sassysar's Reviews
There’s some Italian restaurants and the usual meals with chips , it’s just the sizzling stone is a feature meal , usually with a slab of steak or fish . Son doesn’t eat fish and he was fine .
Old 14 Apr 19, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
sassysar
Apprentice Imagineer

sassysar's Reviews
We crossed the station and thought we would take the train most nights to tavira to eat . As it happens we ate locally or had BBQ on our terrace .
We got meat salads and nice bread from the supermarket so bbq one night and ate out the next .
We have two teens so gets expensive over a fortnight . We found it more expensive than Greece where we eat out every night .
Quality food though
Old 15 Apr 19, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Thanks for this. Yes my two older ones would eat us out of house and home. Love eating out in Greece and had anticipated prices being broadly similar. Will take extra cash 😁
Old 15 Apr 19, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Just spotted this, I will think of some restaurants that we enjoyed and post later. We loved Tavira but found we did need to book to eat nearly every night which we found quite a strange thing to do! We were only a four so sometimes got squeezed into restaurant but this will be harder with a big group.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Just spotted this, I will think of some restaurants that we enjoyed and post later. We loved Tavira but found we did need to book to eat nearly every night which we found quite a strange thing to do! We were only a four so sometimes got squeezed into restaurant but this will be harder with a big group.
Thank you so much that would be helpful. It's the pre-booking bit that makes me thoughtful. I'm not normally that organised on a European break!
Old 15 Apr 19, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Thank you so much that would be helpful. It's the pre-booking bit that makes me thoughtful. I'm not normally that organised on a European break!
Booking was really bizarre to us, we never do that in Europe. Sometimes we were lucky and could walk by the restaurant and book it for the next night but often they said they were full for the week! My favourite restaurant was on the river, Tavira Lounge. The kids really enjoyed eating in Oskars near the fish market, we went there a few times it was also good. Every evening no matter where we ate we would get an ice cream from inside the Fish Market at DELIZA, I think they had a shop over the river next to the bridge but that was always crazy busy to get served. On that side of the river Aquasul and O Tonel were also lovely. We had a nice Indian meal across that side I think it was called Little India. We also had really nice pizza’s at Mamma Mia’s which I think was in a little square a few streets back on the fish market side of the river.
If you go on the boats down to the beach make sure you buy yourself a bag of Bolinas-fresh doughnuts that are amazing. You will hear the man shouting BOLEENIOOOS as they walk along the beach, we had no idea what they were selling but everyone wanted them-so pleased the German family next to us told us what was going on! Hope this is helpful.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List