Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 May 19, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Just Back - Some Thoughts On Disney etc.

The 2nd trip of 2019 is now complete, and we flew out on the 2nd May and back on the 25th May.

This trip should have encompassed a 7-night cruise, but we cancelled that due to my Wife’s hip issues and other factors.

We flew out and back with Virgin in Upper Class. This was a totally free flight as we used our downgrade vouchers from 2 years ago. Not even any taxes to pay.

The food was excellent on both legs and the cabin albeit aged is still very good. I cannot commend VA enough on their food offerings. I think the Disney Chefs should take a leaf out of their book!

Arrived at a busy Immigration Hall but we skipped through the GE line in 2 minutes flat. Saw somebody struggling with the GE machines so helped them out – another Dibb Member!

Cases were out in 2 mins, so we were gone and off to the Alamo garage.

Straight to the Standard SUV Row. Mmm, what’s this junk. Full of Intermediate SUV’s apart from a builder’s truck!

Asked the Staff could they assist, and one Guy did try but couldn’t find any. Hence, we took a VW Tiguan that must have been made for the rental market. The Tiguan is a good car, this wasn’t!
Not keeping this.

As we had changed the holiday, we didn’t want to use our DVC Points for the first 5 nights so booked Coronado Springs.
What can I say about this Resort? Stunning, the grounds are just perfect and the room we had in Casitas 3 was very well laid out, lovely fixtures and a massive bed. Bigger than a King size. No impact at all from the nearly completed tower block. That looks good as well.

So many nice touches such as USB ports on the table lamps, pop out reading lights on the headboard and a 15ft long granite top over the drawer units.

SSR take note!

The following day headed to the Car Care Centre and swapped the car out for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Lovely car, under 2000 miles and most importantly for me it had full leather and a heated steering wheel. Last car in this class there.

I detest not having a heated wheel as my hands get cold.

I won’t be letting this go with Alamo and they have 2 more chances this year to get that row right. Otherwise I’m off to another company. Alamo are dropping badly on review sites.

We did a few Parks whilst in CSR and had a few sunbathing days.

There were 100’s of Cheerleading Girls staying there. They were a bit loud but what youth aren’t! Their behaviour was perfect, no rudeness, pushing or problems at all. Well done.

After 5 days we moved to SSR and got the room we wanted. The grounds as always were perfect, and we prefer this look to the perfectly manicured Resorts such as the GF etc.

The rooms though are distinctly tired looking. I will be putting a thread on the DVC Forum ref what I have ascertained about the refurb and dates etc.

We ate both on and off site, but I will come back to that.

Met up with fellow Dibbers

• Pussycat Doll. Selina & Richard. – Always nice to meet and natter. Excellent meal at Longhorns

• Greyfriars – Haven’t seen him and his lovely Wife for 2 years so nice to catch up. Excellent meal at the Olive Garden. Thanks for the hip replacement tips Mrs Greyfriars!

• Mr & Mrs Blue Sky – Our sunbathing partners! We see them twice a year normally and met lots this trip. Had a decent meal at the Turf Club. More on this place later!
Enjoy your retirement and I suspect you will post your views on this thread which may mirror mine.

• Also dined with our Cast Member friend at the Ale & Compass. Nice Mahi Mahi.

So, we come to some thoughts, musings and opinions.

The weather was a bit weird for 2 days. Experienced probably 4 hours of the worst rain ever. Message to me – don’t assume an umbrella will help!
Never been so wet in our lives walking from DHS to the car. Water was 4” deep in the car park.

The last 2 weeks were stunning. Hot and bone dry. Lovely, we love the heat.

Love Bugs. Worst I have ever seen in 25 years of Florida. So many children freaking out and I felt sorry for them. I just lie on my sun lounger and they meet my flip flop at 30mph!

The gondolas. Not far off now I suspect. The finishing touches are going onto the stations ref décor panels and signage. Haven’t seen anything so ugly for donkeys’ years. Ruined the skyline view and looks a mess going over the Boardwalk etc. But they are the way forward ref buses and pollution I suppose.

The pathway into International Gateway will be fun – Not!

Food. I am very clear on my views ref Disney dining. Totally ruined by the Dining Plan and the fayre can only be described as ‘safe’. But they are experiencing big issues.
How can a restaurant be under half full and you have an ADR but it’s a 25 minute wait every night we went there?
The reason is they haven’t got enough Staff. It’s not the kitchen as we ate at the bar instead and the food came out quickly.

Some of the podium staff need to learn manners. Especially the University Ladies who are on a temporary contract. Also, some of the ‘older generation’ Have a hissy fit with me and you lose. I bet you won’t forget me in a hurry my dear!

Let’s focus on an average meal for us: -
Salad to share $9
Steak x 2 $68
Add on 2 soft drinks, plus tax plus gratuity and you are hitting $105+

Mmm, that’s a lot for food that is average at best and can be poor. If as we do you ditch the soft drinks but have 2 glasses of wine, you are hitting $120+

Now we can get under this price with the TIW card hence a discount and no tip as such but it’s still a lot.

For those on the free DDP it’s brilliant for budgeting. Not for those paying.

Anyhow. Every restaurant for the 3 weeks was dead. I could get any place I liked at 8.30pm on the day including all the Signatures apart from the Cali. Multiple time choices as well. Where are the diners? Simple, eating offsite.
Priced out of WDW and fed up with mediocre food.

Sanaa. This was in the last chance saloon for us after 5 poor meals in recent years. We ate twice at the bar off the restaurant/bar menu. Excellent food, hot, tasty and well presented. Well done. Mrs Morrow stop ordering the bread! It’s lovely but too much!

Raglan Rd. This went up in our estimation in late 2018 and again it didn’t disappoint. Yet again well done.

Offsite dining. God love Longhorns (not the Vineland one) and Bonefish Grill. On a Tuesday in Bonefish you can have a salad, a main (limited choice) and dessert for $15.99!
Other days it’s a lot more obviously but the fish there is superb, and we are fish lovers. A pity Disney don’t offer it more on their menus. Hey ho.

The Turf Club. Big issues there last November. They couldn’t get a hot meal out at all.

So, we ate there 3 times. The first 2 occasions were ok, nothing special but nothing bad. The 3rd time my Wife had nearly raw scallops and my risotto with pork was swimming in an inch of juice!
Sent back and the replacement risotto contained so much cheese I couldn’t even lift it.
Refused to pay for anything and left. Sad as it can be good.
Arrogance and a couldn’t care less attitude that seems to be coming more prevalent.

The Parks. Wow busy!
Our favourites in order are -
Animal Kingdom
Hollywood Studios
Epcot
Stroller Kingdom

The Magic Kingdom AKA Stroller Kingdom is now insane. Far too many huge strollers still, crowds difficult to get around and a glitchy MDE app makes it hard work.

Are the American young families more affluent now so can afford to go to Disney more? I don’t know but lots more young families hence more strollers. If so good luck to them and I am not complaining about individuals just the sheer number.

Anyone else seen these new ‘pop up carts’?
I am seeing them a lot at the MK, little push along carts with maybe 30 bottles of water/soda on and a few fans. Put right in the middle of the busiest paths at peak time. They suddenly appear after shows etc. Causes chaos but as we expect from Disney who cares about that. Give me your loot!

Wait lines everywhere the longest I have seen. When it’s a small world is 65 minutes you know that the day will be difficult. Especially when it’s not yet Midday!

I have never seen the line for Tower of Terror to stretch past Beauty & The Beast!

I get accused of being negative about Disney but if it impacts me and others then I will be critical. They are unconcerned with anything apart from money. Less staff, better transport (gondolas) to get guests into a park faster but the Parks can’t cope. Poor food quality and crazy prices. No, I won’t pay $5 for an apple! Why more food stalls at Flower & Garden? Ahh yes, money.

To their credit the road network is better every visit. The new but now well-established landscaping. The new rides will be awesome, and the staff are still in the main excellent. Flower & Garden just wow.

SSR refurb. Nothing as yet and no sign of it starting anytime soon. Disappointing. However, I hope Disney have thought of telling cash stayers before it commences or we will have another CBR fiasco and compensation issues!

So, what now?

Back in mid-August but with the 8-year-old Granddaughter. I cannot wait to get on Dumbo again!

The future after that, who knows. I am convinced Disney will become a morning, afternoon or evening ‘slot’ for people. Get in and get out ready for the next rush with their 3 FP’s. Time will tell.

What direction will Disney go in 2021 when Bob Iger retires?
I don’t know but I remember this expression from when I was working.

When it becomes clear that you only care about making money, you risk losing even the most loyal clients. They want someone working for them who sees them as more than just a dollar sign.

Florida for us is about leisure and only doing 3 Parks a week to get circa 30 miles walking in. The rest is chilling time.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 19, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
rosiela
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

It’s interesting reading your report as someone who goes a lot, as opposed to our recent trip which was pretty much a first in many ways.

Excellent report and, as always, well explained and reasonable points. Your views are all very valid.

Your comment about the love bugs made me laugh - could have used you and your flip flop around our pool at times
rosiela is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 19, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

As usual an concise but informative report
As you know we are doing Disney this time but like you Florida is about leisure popping in and out the parks
And we rarely eat in the parks at all as we have so much choice by the Villa
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 19, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
As usual an concise but informative report
As you know we are doing Disney this time but like you Florida is about leisure popping in and out the parks
And we rarely eat in the parks at all as we have so much choice by the Villa
Helen. The hire car ends up on auto pilot. Take me to Rolling Oaks!

Enjoy your next trip and not too much hard work in the Villa!

Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 19, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Well, I’m glad you backed up some of my issues and I suspect you won’t get told you chose the wrong holiday

Magic Kingdom will now always be remembered , in my mind, as Stroller Kingdom

I envy you SSR, it’s my favorite resort and if I’d known thirty odd years ago I’d be returning so many times I would have invested in DVC but hey ho thems the choices

We too found the cheer leaders a non issue and I agree about the staff

Some of the podium staff need to learn manners. Especially the University Ladies who are on a temporary contract. Also, some of the ‘older generation’ Have a hissy fit with me and you lose. I bet you won’t forget me in a hurry my dear
I found sarcasm has taken over from customer service

Like you, on balance a good time was had and I’m sure you’ll endure Disney again for your granddaughters sake , we always do

We were returning. Next year for our Ruby wedding anniversary but I’ve decided against it now

Wasn’t that rain horrendous
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 19, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
macy
VIP Dibber

macy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great informative trip report, your views reflect a lot of what we experienced too. Like you we have been visiting for may years, first visit was 1988. A lot smaller then but so pleased our family were fortunate to see Disney as it was. They still visit with us now and seem to enjoy it despite the crowds. There is a lot more to Florida than theme parks but still always lovely to return , can't beat walking up main street when you have skipped visiting for a while. Your next trip will be lovely with your granddaughter - always good to see it all through the kid's eyes.
macy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 19, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Well, I’m glad you backed up some of my issues and I suspect you won’t get told you chose the wrong holiday

Magic Kingdom will now always be remembered , in my mind, as Stroller Kingdom

I envy you SSR, it’s my favorite resort and if I’d known thirty odd years ago I’d be returning so many times I would have invested in DVC but hey ho thems the choices

We too found the cheer leaders a non issue and I agree about the staff

I found sarcasm has taken over from customer service

Like you, on balance a good time was had and I’m sure you’ll endure Disney again for your granddaughters sake , we always do

We were returning. Next year for our Ruby wedding anniversary but I’ve decided against it now

Wasn’t that rain horrendous
I confront rudeness head on.

What about this. We are in the line to get into the Aerosmith room and some Guy is encouraging everybody to fill the gaps as normal.

Now I know I am hard of hearing and the 2nd time he said it I didn't hear him.

He then in a loud voice said 'thanks sweetheart' and disappeared through the door like a rat up a drain pipe.

My Wife was like an Olympic sprinter out of the starting blocks to get at him and rip him a new ≈≈≈≈ hole. There is me wondering where has she gone!
However he scooted right through all the doors and disappeared.

We spoke to a 10 year old Manager at the end of the ride who was as much use as a chocolate teapot so just let it go.

One lucky guy as if I had cornered him he would have remembered the bollocking the rest of his life.

Edited at 05:55 PM.
Old 28 May 19, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Good, informative report Tom. With so many niggles and issues it must impact on your enjoyment. I had started to feel very disillusioned with it all and Disney in particular so decided to try elsewhere. It’s a big world and holidays are too important to be ruined
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 19, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

We are here now and haven’t done Disney for a few years, we have universal and seaworld annual passes.

We got Disney this time as we are part of a larger party but I think that’s it for us. To busy can’t go on a ride with out FP I won’t queue for 1 hour +

Have loved the fireworks, but that’s about it. Going to do it all this week then no more for us i think.

Plenty of other things to do in the area.

Disney shows are also very good.

Edited at 06:06 PM.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 19, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

As always a great honest ‘no holds barred’ report, from a Dibber who could quite easily, but refuses to wear rose tinted glasses.

It is quite scary to read these comments which for those like me who have been going for many many years (1982) and many other dibbers, are a real worry. I fear that GE Star Wars will only add another layer on top.

Sorry to hear Mrs T had hip problems, shame about the cruise, but as we all know health comes first. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed?

Great to have you back Tom, please post a pic of you on Dumbo.

Disney332