Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 18 Jun 19, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

day in dublin/guiness factory would you ?

My other half would love to go to the Guinness factory in Dublin thinking of surprising him flight prices are good but hotels expensive would u go just for the day early flight out late flight back ? just like a drive to the coast really live next door practically to airport any thoughts or tips would be welcome
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
markpwa8
Very Serious Dibber

Dublin is amazing and we have visited several times, however it is very expensive for food and drinks, which might outweigh the costs of flights.

As for the Guinness factory, I wouldn't personally bother, its a bit boring but you do get a great pint and a viewing tower. The best tourist thing we did was the Jail. it was amazing and such good fun.
markpwa8 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Barney Bear
Getting Excited

If your other half likes Guinness then I think you should stay overnight in Dublin rather than squeezing it all in over a day. I’d agree about the prison - I loved the history of the building, and we spent quite a while there. I do think though that the Guinness factory IS Dublin...and the views are really lovely. If you’re going then think about soaking up all the info there - how it’s made, tasting it properly (I still don’t like it at all! ) and then taking your time in the bar for your free pint!
Barney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

I like the Guinness factory but last time I was there ( 2 years ago) there were far too many people in there the bar was rammed you couldn’t even walk right around to take in the views.
So I would go but as soon as it’s open, to try and avoid the crowds .
I probably wouldn’t do a day trip though as the time it takes to get through security, be at the airport so many hours before etc would outweigh that.
Plus as others have said the Gaol is well worth a trip to.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
schnauzer
Excited about Disney

We visited the Guiness Storehouse recently and as others have said found it very busy and the bar was packed at the end. If you have an interest in guiness you might enjoy it more. We did the Viking Duck Tour which was great fun and so much more enjoyable x
Old 23 Jun 19, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

We went for a day to Dublin a few years ago on a Ryan Air offer. 1p each way and no taxes - don’t see those offers now. We couldn’t refuse.

We got the first flight out and last flight back to Liverpool. We bought a bus ticket that gave admission to many of the sites but I can only remember the Jail and the Guinness Factory.

I also remember food was very expensive. We went to a pub and got a reasonable fixed price meal in the evening, the waiter DH if he would like a desert and it cost more than two meals!
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
HevaDuck
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We enjoyed the Guiness tour and the views are great from the panoramic bar if he loves his Guiness he'll also enjoy the pint waiting for him at the end. Also agree the Jail is a good option we enjoyed that as well as the open top bus city tour we also enjoyed the zoo but did have kids with us
HevaDuck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

4 of us went for the day last year and I wouldn’t think twice about going it again. Me and hubby have been a few times so kinda knew our way around, I think that helped too.

We flew on the first Ryanair flight of the day from Birmingham, got the bus into the city centre, got an Irish Breakfast, HOHO bus to Guinness Storehouse, carried on with the HOHO bus, shopping and then tea/more Guinness before flying home on the last flight.

Like you say, it’s only the same as driving to the seaside. We would have stopped overnight but the hotel prices were eye watering.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
trampslikeus
Apprentice Imagineer

Enjoyed many a day trip to Dublin with cheap Ryanair flights and 747 bus to city centre.
The HOHO bus is good to get to know the city and Guinness Storehouse is a worthwhile hop off. Also River Liffey Cruises are good too.
Dublin probably comparable in price to Edinburgh or London these days for food and drink.
trampslikeus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 19, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
jasminedivas
Apprentice Imagineer

jasminedivas's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Have you tried the Premier Inn at the airport? We are staying there in August before our flight to New York, it was €78 on the flex rate which I thought was really good. I know it’s not central but may extend your stay cheaply.

Comfort Inn LBV 1999, All Star movies 2003/4/6. Villas 2007/8/9/10/12. Wash DC NYE 2012, NY and LV 14. Orlando, NYC & IAD 15, Orlando & beach 16,17. NY & IAD 2019. West coast 2022 planned.
jasminedivas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List