Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Jun 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Holiday in Europe?

I haven't holidayed in Europe since 2006 and haven't got a clue where to look or what prices to expect. Looking for cheap and cheerful for 2 adults in September.

Has anyone booked a week for around £4-500 each? Is this realistic?... probably looking at Spain or Portugal. Would like to be on a beach with a good selection of bars/restaurants on the doorstep.

Can anyone recommend somewhere that would fit the above?
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

What about Madeira, not much beach at funchal which is main part of island its very pebbly but lovely bars and restaurants, we stayed later on in year in November and paid just over £700 for 3 of us. Last two years we've been to Majorca which as a family we've all enjoyed, we stayed at cala bona which is a beach resort, again nice places to eat and drink. A friend and her partner have just come back from Bulgaria and raved about it.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We love Vilamoura in Portugal. You’ve got the beach and the marina with loads of great restaurants and shops. I should imagine there are some cheap deals for September time

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Definitely can get a good quality hotel on a beach for your budget in September. We have been looking for the first week in October at package deals and there are plenty of choices.

Jet2 and LoveHolidays are two of the cheapest but have good recommendations, we have used Jet2 and was very pleased with them, Tui also often has good late deals.

We like Monte Gordo in the Algarve as it’s not too busy, but has lots of bars and restaurants and a beautiful seafront and beach. Costa Almaria in Spain is also really nice.

The Balearic Islands are very nice too, we prefer Majorca and Menorca to Ibiza but they all have lovely sandy resorts with marinas and good restaurants.

Have you considered Croatia? We just came back from a week in Split and it was fabulous. It’s a city but has a lovely beach and you can use the ferries to visit islands nearby or buses to other resorts. The prices in Croatia was slightly cheaper than similar in Spain or Portugal too. A freshly cooked meal for three adults with drinks was around £30-60, this often included an extra drink or dessert too.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Thanks everyone, think I'm leaning towards Portugal as I've never been before. Croatia does look beautiful but think it's a bit of an unknown and I'm not that adventurous.
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Our favourite destination in Europe is Portugal. We have been a few times, always stay around Lagos/ Burgau. About 2 hours from the airport in the Western Algarve but the drive is worth it. Burgau is a small fishing village with steep cobbled streets. I don’t think there are hotels it is apartments and villas. If you can remember Victor Meldrew’s One foot in the Algarve it was filmed there. Lagos is about 15 minutes drive away, it is a busier resort but still keeps its old charm with hotels, plenty of good restaurants, street entertainment in the evening.

We have booked Lanzarote this summer for a last minute cheapy.

My work colleague has just returned from Croatia and has said is fantastic so this may be our holiday for next year for our first couple holiday in 22 years !

Edited at 03:08 PM.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

Croatia is lovely but I do think the weather is a bit more guaranteed in Portugal at that time of year . We went to a complex called rocha brava just outside carvoeiro - could walk to a small cove beach though it has steps and there was transport to centre of carvoeiro supplied a couple of times a day plus taxis were easy to get and only a few Euros.
Old 29 Jun 19, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Croatia was very hot last week at 32° but we looked at the weather for a return trip (to a different area) in October and the temperatures seem to drop quite a bit towards September/October. It’s not cold then, but at around 20-22° it’s probably not warm enough to swim etc.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
meggy
Imagineer

meggy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I had a fab week in a brilliant hotel, just outside portimao in praia da Rocha, Algarve in early May. It was £599PP but that was half board, the food was superb and I hardly spent any money on food just some drinks!
meggy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Love Portugal, Spain and Crete.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List