Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Apr 15, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Also, if you don't fancy Vegas, I wouldn't worry that you are missing out by not staying too long there! The national parks are stunning and we would have loved to have stayed longer in them. Personally, I'd miss out LA but I know that lots of people love Disneyland and Universal there and the beaches look nice.

Lonely Planet do a guidebook for America's Best national parks which covers Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Yosemite & Death Valley which might be helpful as well.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 15, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Going to be staying in Las Vegas for 3 nights in total, at the beginning, then after we have been to Grand Canyon , before we leave for San Francisco and then on our last day.

To be honest, I know many people love it, but we are only flying in and out of Vegas as flights were good, otherwise we may have left it all together.

We stayed in 1999 before we had the children and the sounds of the fruit machines and smoke, 3 nights was enough. Now with children, I keep hearing stories that it is not nice in some parts, so decided not to spend that much time there.

We also did LA without the children before we fell in love with Disney. Didn't think much to LA, but now that we are all Disney fans, we have to go to where it all started and we are theme park fans too. Plus, we booked the Taylor Swift concert even before we booked flights, so knew we had to go to LA.

We have booked a couple of hotels today, so feeling like we are getting somewhere now.
1972 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 15, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
The strip is perfectly fine , the not so nice parts are residential area's way past Downtown, places where the average tourist has no need to even pass through never mind visit.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 15, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I honestly would not take my children (more than once) if I didn't think it was safe or appropriate .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 15, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Thank you both. That makes me feel better about it.

Want to get out into the scenic parts of each state as I just love taking photos.
1972 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 15, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Hi,

We did Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce etc on a whistle stop tour last month - you can see our route and hotels here. http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=871400

sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 15, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
Thank you both. That makes me feel better about it.

Want to get out into the scenic parts of each state as I just love taking photos.
It will be my kids 7th time next year (my 8th) I've taken them at various ages between 18 mths and 16 and never once felt unsafe, they love going there as much as we do.

One of the first things my youngest (12) said when we arrived this year was when can we move here (that's my boy ! )
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 15, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post

Hello

We took two road trips as a family when my son was 8 and again when 10. He is now 21 and just finishing Uni and so we are going back as a family next month after his exams. His first time as an adult. Basically just LA, Palm Springs and San Diego this time.

A agree with you about Vegas. Having been a couple of times I would not be in a hurry to return. Any more than about 48 hours and I cannot wait to leave.

I can tell you that although Florida is easy to plan in comparison (and we have been a few times) our holidays in California were just much, much better. Our best ever. It is just the sheer variety of experiences that makes it. It is like three or four different holidays in one.

To me Orlando is fine but California is in another league altogether.

Disney in Anaheim is also a different class. Smaller but genuine. We prefer it in every way to Florida.

We always booked Suite hotels and our son always had his own sleeping area. I can recommend Embassy Suite Hotels generally as being good for families (they include breakfast which always saves a few quid).

Search online for "whats on" in various area's. We have done weird Country Fayres etc in the backwoods of no where - just brilliant fun. Also, look for small attractions and museums etc. Often It is often these that we look back on fondly rather than the larger things.

I would also try and plan in some rest days. On our previous trips that were both three weeks, we would get home completely exhausted.

I am certain that you will just love it.
Old 28 Apr 15, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Originally Posted by UKsouthwest View Post
Hello

We took two road trips as a family when my son was 8 and again when 10. He is now 21 and just finishing Uni and so we are going back as a family next month after his exams. His first time as an adult. Basically just LA, Palm Springs and San Diego this time.

A agree with you about Vegas. Having been a couple of times I would not be in a hurry to return. Any more than about 48 hours and I cannot wait to leave.

I can tell you that although Florida is easy to plan in comparison (and we have been a few times) our holidays in California were just much, much better. Our best ever. It is just the sheer variety of experiences that makes it. It is like three or four different holidays in one.

To me Orlando is fine but California is in another league altogether.

Disney in Anaheim is also a different class. Smaller but genuine. We prefer it in every way to Florida.

We always booked Suite hotels and our son always had his own sleeping area. I can recommend Embassy Suite Hotels generally as being good for families (they include breakfast which always saves a few quid).

Search online for "whats on" in various area's. We have done weird Country Fayres etc in the backwoods of no where - just brilliant fun. Also, look for small attractions and museums etc. Often It is often these that we look back on fondly rather than the larger things.

I would also try and plan in some rest days. On our previous trips that were both three weeks, we would get home completely exhausted.

I am certain that you will just love it.
Thank you - sounds like you have had some fantastic family holidays.

Last year we did a whistle stop tour of the Rockies, back to Vancouver for 2 nights and then a 7 night Disney cruise around Alaska.

We were not sure if our children would enjoy all the scenery, but they loved it too.

So I am sure they will again be fine with the long drives and are especially looking forward to Disney (want to go where it all began and a bonus that it will be the Diamond 60th Anniversary celebrations!)

Thank you for the tips about hotels etc. I will look forward to reading how your trip next month goes too.
Old 28 Apr 15, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post

I am genuinely a cynical old git who whilst at Disney would whisper to my wife "its a bloke in a suit" when "characters" were around.

The Disney in California is different to Florida. It is genuine and authentic. It is only there that I have felt "The Magic" and it takes a lot for me to get carried away in this way.

This is an even more ridiculous thing to say but it is "real" whereas Orlando is a copy. I do understand that neither are real.

Any questions that you may have then please feel free to ask.
Closed Thread