Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The hills are alive - Salzburg October 2017 Day 4

Saturday 28th October 2017 Day 4

I had a pretty restless night with quite a few patches not sleeping very well. It had rained quite heavily and I think that had woken me a couple of times. At one point in the night there was a shout of 'Dad' from DD but this was just sleep-talking which she is prone to, usually she can be heard telling her brother off in her sleep . We started off with our breakfast of bread and jam in the room.

Although it had been raining all night the weather cleared up and when we left the hotel just after 10am it was dry. We were fortunate and it stayed dry all day, but it was noticeably colder now compared to the first couple of days. We had a day of sightseeing ahead of us in the old town centre.

We walked along the river bank towards the old town. The kids carried on making up their own lyrics to the song 'These are a few of my favourite things' and serenaded us as we walked along. We made our way to the funicular and went up to the top. The funicular is the oldest in Austria, built in 1892 and makes the ascent and descent up to the fortress.

The Hohensalzburg fortress is central Europe's largest preserved fortress dating from the 11th century. There is a museum with access to the state rooms, a marionette museum and the precincts surrounding the fortress to look around.

The views from the top were spectacular, if a little bit chilly.

The fortress was used as recently as World War One as a working fortress and the museum had lots of exhibits showing the working and living conditions of 100 years ago.

We decided to walk down rather than take the funicular, it was a very steep slope with hair pin bends and the kids decided the best strategy was to just run at full speed! Fortunately neither of them took a tumble.

Next up we visited Nonnbery Abbey which is the oldest female convent north of the Alps (it was founded in 714 A.D.). This is where Maria was a novice nun. In the movie the opening part where the nuns are singing Maria, when the children come to ask for Maria and the escape scene with the cars parked outside at the end of the movie were all shot here.

By now the kids were decidedly peckish so we bought a picnic lunch and ate it on a bench in the Residenzplatz (Residence Square). This is the centre of the old city of Salzburg. The Residence Fountain is 15m high and is made of marble from Mount Untersberg and was constructed under the archbishop Wolf Dietrich. This is where Maria sings 'I have confidence in me', she crosses the square and stops at the fountain to splash water back at the spouting horses.

After lunch we toured the Domquartier. This comprises of the Cathedral and the Residence. It was once the centre of the prince archibishops power. The historical rooms house various collections focused on the Baroque history of the city. We had an audio tour, which had a childrens version for the kids.

We toured the state rooms of the residence, the gallery, the terrace above the cathedral arches, the oratory, the cathedral organ loft, the cathedral museum, the chamber of art and wonders, the long gallery and St Peter's museum. For the first hour the kids were quite interested in their audio tour, but it was perhaps a little long for them and we skipped a few of the audio stops towards the end.

The cathedral

A statue of Alexander the Great's horse

We visited St Peter's cemetery and catacombs. The catacombs are hewn out of the rocks of Monchsberg and are of early Christian origin. This is where the escape scene at the end of the movie was filmed.

We had a mid afternoon break for coffee. The kids had hot chocolate with whipped cream.

DH had a hot chocolate with rum in his. I had an Irish coffee, it wasn't quite sweet enough for me though.

We visited the birthplace of Mozart. The residence of the Mozart family and the birthplace of W.A. Mozart on 27th January 1756 is now a museum housing exhibits of the house as it was originally, documents and portraits as well as instruments used by Mozart. The taking of photo's is prohibited inside though.

I think the kids had just about had enough of museums by now so we didn't spend too long in here. We headed back to the hotel via the play park at Mirabell. After a quick shower and brief rest we headed back out to the old city for our last meal.

We ended up at the Zum Mohren restaurant which was apparently frequented by Mozart and Schubert.

DH and myself shared a bottle of Prosecco.

DD had a curry as she does like spicy food.

DS has a margherita pizza, much better than the previous 3 cheese pizza he ordered a couple of nights ago as there was no blue cheese on this pizza. I haven't taken a photo of his as he was in a bit of a strop due to the fact he hadn't wanted to come to this restaurant...pesky kids!

DH had goulash.

I had boiled beef with creamed spinach.

For pudding me and the kids all had sachertorte.

DH went for the 'Traditional Austrian Cake', which turned out to be a warm chocolate cake with ice cream.

We had a lovely last meal in Salzburg and we discussed our favourite bits of the holiday. For me it was definitely the visit to the gazebo and feeling like I'd followed in the steps of my grandparents .

Before we went to bed we set the alarms for the morning as our flight was at 11.05am and we wanted to make sure we got up in time to catch the bus back to the airport.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 17, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Wow - you packed an awful lot in the day! So much history!

Dinner looks yummy!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 17, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Wow - you packed an awful lot in the day! So much history!

Dinner looks yummy!
It was rather busy, wasn't it? But it was a great day and everything was all in the centre together so it made sense to see everything on one day. The views were stunning and if it hadn't been so bitterly cold we might have stayed longer at the top in the grounds of the fortress.

The dinner was tasty

Goldia is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 18, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Skittl1321
Getting Excited

Mobile

This looks like a wonderful trip!

Was the horse statue very modern, or under construction/repair -the wires it is standing on are a bit bizarre, like the pedestal is missing.
Skittl1321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 18, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
This looks like a wonderful trip!

Was the horse statue very modern, or under construction/repair -the wires it is standing on are a bit bizarre, like the pedestal is missing.
I don't believe it was being repaired...I assumed that was just 'modern art' but I'm not exactly certain because you're right it did look weird.

Old 20 Jan 18, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

What a wonderful last day, you packed so much in! I love all of the photos you took, I instantly recognised the scenes from the Sound of Music #filmgeek 😂
Your meal looks fab too, especially the Sachertorte!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 18, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
What a wonderful last day, you packed so much in! I love all of the photos you took, I instantly recognised the scenes from the Sound of Music #filmgeek 😂
Your meal looks fab too, especially the Sachertorte!
We did managed to see a lot. The Salzburg card was a great buy as it was so cheap and meant that we could go into any of the museums but not feel like we had to spend hours to get our monies worth. I think we were only in Mozarts house for a short time as the kids were a bit museumed out by then.

I printed out a guide to all the SOM filming locations so that we could visit them all .

The restaurant was good and you are right the sachertorte was delicious.

Old 4 May 18, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

It’s a pity the temperature dipped towards the end of the trip but at least the weather held out.

Do you know if they have any official Sound of Music tours? You’d think they would. So many great locations today.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 18, 07:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
It’s a pity the temperature dipped towards the end of the trip but at least the weather held out.

Do you know if they have any official Sound of Music tours? You’d think they would. So many great locations today.
It was a bit rainy but that's to be expected in October and we still managed to see lots. There were quite a few Sound of Music tours, coaches or walking tours. I went online before the trip and printed out a sights of Salzburg from the Sound of Music information leaflet. This was really helpful as it meant we could do a tour of the sights at our own pace.