Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 22 Mar 18, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

C&L Explore Budapest - Feb 2018 - day 2

Day 2

We both slept so well, the apartment was lovely and warm! We got up at 8 and got ready and left about 8.45am stopping at Tesco to grab something for breakfast. We got two cheese and bacon rolls and an iced tea for 550ft (£1.55).

We walked over the Liberty Bridge which was close to our apartment and walked up the Gellert Hill to the Citadella. It was very cold today, about –6 so we were very wrapped up. We got a little hot walking up the hill!

After wandering around, we back down but it was very icy, I kept slipping! Uggs may be very warm but they are not very practical when walking on ice! We walked up the next hill to the palace and castle. First we got to the castle and went into the Labyrinth Caves. We had read about these in our guidebook and thought they looked like good fun. This was 5000ft for us both.

The caves were great fun, there was one section which was pitch black. I started to go in but wimped out! Chris continued in but eventually ended up coming back the same way as he couldn’t find his way. He was in there for about 10 minutes though and I was starting to wonder what had happened to him!

We went to the Fisherman Bastion which we had also read about in our book, this had amazing views over Budapest.

It was about midday and we were getting very hungry so stopped for a coffee and cake in a bakery ! This was 2000ft (£5.70).

We finished our cake and headed towards the cog railway which took you up a hill. The tickets were 350ft (£1) each and the train was already there so we sat and waited for it to leave. We were planning to get it to the top but it randomly stopped halfway up, everyone was jumping straight on a bus so we jumped on too. We saw there was works on the railway which was why the trains were not going any further, we weren't sure about tickets though so we were a bit nervous. We got off when everyone else was getting off at the top of the hill and it was covered in snow .

We spent a while playing in the snow and then got a bus back down. We were able to buy tickets at the front, these were 450ft each. We were thinking of going to Margaret Island after we got back down but we were quite tired as it had been a pretty full on morning so we went back to the apartment. We got the metro and bought a book of 10 tickets for 3000ft (£8.55).

We got back about 4pm and I accidentally fell asleep and had a nap . After I woke up we got ready and headed out about 6.15pm, we went for a walk over the bridge earlier and walked a little way up Gellert Hill to get some photos in the dark. It was very cold but lovely views.

We went to a restaurant near our hotel, we had wandered around looking at the menus. I can't remember the name of it though but we both had the set tourist menu. This was goulash soup, chicken paprika and a pancake for dessert. We ordered a side of chips as well which were amazing! Chris had a beer and I had a red wine.

This food was very good and it came to 9000ft including tip (£25.60).

We went for a walk and stopped in a bar for a drink, I didn’t fancy another wine so just had a hot chocolate and Chris got a beer. This came to 450ft (£1.30)

We then headed back to the apartment, it had been a brilliant but tiring day

Walked – 20.70km
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 18, 06:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

You did a lot of walking. Some spectacular views from up the hills too!

I love days when the sky is blue and there is snow on the ground, even if it is cold!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 18, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
You did a lot of walking. Some spectacular views from up the hills too!

I love days when the sky is blue and there is snow on the ground, even if it is cold!
Yes I love that sort of weather too. The views were great and we do love a bit of walking on holiday .
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 18, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Skittl1321
Getting Excited

What a great day!

How cold was it? I notice you aren't wearing gloves.

It seems like a winter vacation would have a lot fewer crowds, but was it tough to be outside?
Skittl1321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List