Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 20 Jul 19, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I would not cancel but I do think there has been a mood shift with some people in the US.

I do not believe this last issue has altered people’s opinions in any way. These opinions have been boiling under the surface, what Trump has done is allow people t express opinions they have been forced to hold down.

Of course it is disgusting and unpleasant but it has not changed people it has simply given permission for expression.

Travel through the non tourist areas of the US, meet the Rednecks, these opinions are there. Many places in the US are not culturally equal.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
I would not cancel but I do think there has been a mood shift with some people in the US.

I do not believe this last issue has altered people’s opinions in any way. These opinions have been boiling under the surface, what Trump has done is allow people t express opinions they have been forced to hold down.

Of course it is disgusting and unpleasant but it has not changed people it has simply given permission for expression.

Travel through the non tourist areas of the US, meet the Rednecks, these opinions are there. Many places in the US are not culturally equal.
I know a couple who live in New Hampshire. They are very anti Trump and usually very verbal about it. When we met up with them in St Augustine last year, she looked around and practically whispered every time she talked about him. She actually said “I daren't say anything too much down here. It’s not safe”. So not everyone is happy expressing their opinion.
Old 20 Jul 19, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Universal VR View Post
I know a couple who live in New Hampshire. They are very anti Trump and usually very verbal about it. When we met up with them in St Augustine last year, she looked around and practically whispered every time she talked about him. She actually said “I daren't say anything too much down here. It’s not safe”. So not everyone is happy expressing their opinion.
I agree, the Trump supporters who have racist views are being played by Trump at the moment to boost his re-election bid.

They are the ones who are now happy to voice their ‘go home’ opinions in a way they never would have publicly.

Very sad times.

Disney is a bubble, it is not and has never been the real US. Well maybe in the 1980s when we first went it was more real.

Edited at 10:29 AM.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by angelbabe View Post
They aren't exactly rednecks though, more white, middle-aged women.

OP, please don't worry, you will feel perfectly safe in Disney and the surrounding areas where people are friendly and rely on tourism.
Redneck is a sub species ... white , any age , any sex ... it's a mind set so I have no idea what you are talking about .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
I'm saddened by the willingness of posters freely using insults such as 'moron', 'redneck', 'bigot' and 'uneducated' to describe and condemn those who hold different views from them. I'd wager none would be prepared to utter those comments to the actual people face to face.
Then you'd be wrong !
I have called bigots and racists morons to their faces and it's hardly an insult more a fact that anyone who believes the colour of someone's skin or where they were born matters is either terribly dim or uneducated.
Please don't try and justify bigotry, Britain has many decent people who don't tolerate it and will stand up and say so. If you don't then that's your failing but please don't try and pretend everyone is like you !
Bigot is a description of belief , if you consider it an insult then perhaps it's because you know it's an undesirable trait !

Edited at 11:03 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Universal VR View Post
I'm actually quite surprised (and concerned) at how little comment there was about the rally by my previously verbose about Trump US friends and acquaintances on FB. It has made me consider waiting before deciding on Florida forsure for next year. We are in Miami and then a cruise in September and I won't make any decision until after that now whereas I was eying up those May BA flights seriously.

There was apiece this week about two white middle aged women in Burger King in Eustis (about 40 mins from Disney ) who informed the (Hispanic looking) manager he shouldn't be speaking Spanish to some customers but should speak "American English" to all (guess they didn't realise the state of Florida has two official languages) . It was quite a heated exchange (including them informing him the owner would speak English "because he's from Cuba" (eh?) . He told them they weren't welcome and when they refused to leave he called the police to remove them. So Florida isn't exempt from idiots either .
Old 20 Jul 19, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I'm saddened by the willingness of posters freely using insults such as 'moron', 'redneck', 'bigot' and 'uneducated' to describe and condemn those who hold different views from them. I'd wager none would be prepared to utter those comments to the actual people face to face.
For me personally, holding different views is saying I prefer coffee over tea, and the last series of Line of Duty was rubbish. Not the view that people with a different coloured skin are less worthy or less human and should 'go home'.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Then you'd be wrong !
I have called bigots and racists morons to their faces and it's hardly an insult more a fact that anyone who believes the colour of someone's skin or where they were born matters is either terribly dim or uneducated.
Please don't try and justify bigotry, Britain has many decent people who don't tolerate it and will stand up and say so. If you don't then that's your failing but please don't try and pretend everyone is like you !
Bigot is a description of belief , if you consider it an insult then perhaps it's because you know it's an undesirable trait !
Bigot IS an insult when it's applied to people without their having demonstrated their belief in it. Just like the over-used word 'racism', it's become a tool used by the left to suppress and isolate anyone who does not share their views.

Objecting to its use as an insult is in no way supporting it but I do like your projection that because I object to its use, it's a trait I have.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Bigot IS an insult when it's applied to people without their having demonstrated their belief in it. Just like the over-used word 'racism', it's become a tool used by the left to suppress and isolate anyone who does not share their views.

Objecting to its use as an insult is in no way supporting it but I do like your projection that because I object to its use, it's a trait I have.
You are entitled to your opinion , doesn't mean I'm going to stop challenging racists and bigots though . If you believe it's "a tool of the left" to do so and isn't about basic human decency then I can only pity you.
Old 20 Jul 19, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by blusteryday View Post
Trump loves a villain, and in this case he has four. Four for the price of one! Next week the story will have moved on.
Yep, and he especially loves one when it fills the news instead of his sex offending mate.