Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 20 Jul 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
There was apiece this week about two white middle aged women in Burger King in Eustis who informed the manager he shouldn't be speaking Spanish to some customers but should speak "American English" to all (guess they didn't realise the state of Florida has two official languages) . He told them they weren't welcome and when they refused to leave he called the police to remove them.

KFC in Wales won't allow staff to speak to customers in Welsh.

bbc/news/uk-wales-49024203
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
KFC in Wales won't allow staff to speak to customers in Welsh.

bbc/news/uk-wales-49024203
It's a tricky one . It can feel uncomfortable if others around you are speaking in a language you don't understand but in both of these cases Florida and Wales the language is an official language of the local government so KFC are wrong IMO.

At my work it used to be we had to speak to all customers in English even if we spoke their language but it has now changed and we even have access to a database to help us find speakers of different languages throughout the company estate to make it possible for a customer to best communicate .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

It's a tricky one . It can feel uncomfortable if others around you are speaking in a language you don't understand but in both of these cases Florida and Wales the language is an official language of the local government so KFC are wrong IMO.

At my work it used to be we had to speak to all customers in English even if we spoke their language but it has now changed and we even have access to a database to help us find speakers of different languages throughout the company estate to make it possible for a customer to best communicate .
I worked for a Dutch company yet everyone had to speak English (even in the Rotterdam office with all Dutch staff)

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

You are entitled to your opinion , doesn't mean I'm going to stop challenging racists and bigots though . If you believe it's "a tool of the left" to do so and isn't about basic human decency then I can only pity you.
Go for it and more power to your elbow. Having been assaulted for my ethnicity, I suspect though that I may have had more actual experience of bigotry, which by the way, is not exclusively related to skin colour.

In the same vein however, if you are unable to see the repeated use of the words I mentioned by the left as a tool of manipulation, I in turn pity you.

I suggest we either end this discussion or continue it via PM.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
Go for it and more power to your elbow. Having been assaulted for my ethnicity, I suspect though that I may have had more actual experience of bigotry, which by the way, is not exclusively related to skin colour.

In the same vein however, if you are unable to see the repeated use of the words I mentioned by the left as a tool of manipulation, I in turn pity you.

I suggest we either end this discussion or continue it via PM.
Oh bless you John you are making big assumptions again. I'm actually the daughter of an immigrant on one side and the grand daughter of immigrants (a different culture) on the other and with entirely different religions on both sides too so to assume I haven't experienced bigotry first hand in Britain is entirely inaccurate so I really think you need to stop assuming you know why others think as they do. You may indeed have formed your opinions based on your own personal experiences but so will have others.
We clearly see things very differently so I don't think attempting to continue this conversation in PM would achieve much ,but thanks for the offer.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by riversider2014 View Post
I worked for a Dutch company yet everyone had to speak English (even in the Rotterdam office with all Dutch staff)
Yes we are expected to converse colleague to colleague in English (only the customers get the choice). Thinking about it when I worked for a big US company in the U.K.a lot of the techies were European but even when they shared a native language they had to use English too.
Old 20 Jul 19, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Rik666
Helping Minnie

Mobile

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
I never even thought anything about it to be honest. Its usually only a few prats who do these things. Look at our own country! The media is the worse of all reporting things that are just untrue but twisting them to sound more controversial Even the Trump saying 'go back to where you came from' is untrue if you read what he actually wrote. Dont give it a thought and just enjoy your holiday.
Never a truer word spoken
Rik666 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Oh bless you John you are making big assumptions again. I'm actually the daughter of an immigrant on one side and the grand daughter of immigrants (a different culture) on the other and with entirely different religions on both sides too so to assume I haven't experienced bigotry first hand in Britain is entirely inaccurate so I really think you need to stop assuming you know why others think as they do. You may indeed have formed your opinions based on your own personal experiences but so will have others.
We clearly see things very differently so I don't think attempting to continue this conversation in PM would achieve much ,but thanks for the offer.
Duchy, my last comment to you. Yet again, you are trying to make statements for me that I haven't made. Go back and note that I used the words 'may have had', not a definitive statement. I really think you need to review your posts and stop the condescending replies.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by bonnies mum View Post
I would also add that the political upheaval in this Country, combined with all the pro and anti Brexit marches may also make the UK look unstable to outsiders. Yet we go about our daily lives in relative safety. The same is true of the USA.
Well said. My sister and family live west coast USA and meeting us in Florida next week. They don't have a problem with visiting east coast or a trip home over the pond.

There are far worst places in the world with more unstable activities I would far rather not visit. Each to their own, only you can decide.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 19, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Rik666
Helping Minnie

Could be worse, u could be visiting London, with the racist Sadiq khan, who thinks all is rosy in 'his' city.
When I was in new York last year, some Carolina fellas I was talking to were worried about mentioning their support of Trump.
Maybe everyone would be happier if Clinton was president and we could start wars across the world again.

Edited at 12:43 PM.
Rik666 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread