Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 23 Apr 17, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

C&L Bangkok, Elephant Hills & Phuket adventure - March 2017 - Day 6 & 7 - Phuket

Day 6 and day 7 – Phuket, relaxing and Patong beach

I have merged these two days as we spent a lot of it relaxing by the pool .

Day 6 – Phuket

This felt like the first lie in of the holiday and we definitely needed it! We didn't wake up until about 9 (I had fallen asleep by 10 the night before so clearly was shattered )! We went down to breakfast, the selection was really good. I had some pancakes, french toast and fruit and Chris had some eggs on toast! This looks a pretty sad breakfast from the photo haha.

We went and got changed and went and sat by the pool to relax. About 12:30pm I went to the gym while Chris continued to relax. We then headed out for a wander in the early afternoon to find somewhere for lunch. We stopped at a restaurant on the beach front. Chris had pad thai and I had chicken friend rice, I paid an extra 50 baht for it to be served in the pineapple, definitely think it was worth it. We shared a Singha and sprite. This came to 450 baht.

We continued our wander towards Kata Beach which we were planning to walk to in a couple of days. We got about half way and decided to turn back as it was so hot. We stopped and changed up some money – we had taken GBP and changed up a bit at a time.

We then went for a Thai massage, we had been planning to do this when we got to Phuket. The thai massage was 300 baht each. This was the first time we had had a Thai massage and we both liked it, the lady I had walked up and down my back! She was tiny though so it wasn’t painful. I found it quite like a sports massage and definitely felt really good after, I workout a lot so it was really good to ease my muscles.

We headed over to an excursion place just outside the hotel to find out about some trips. We booked a cabaret shows from the next night, a half day city tour for the day after and the Phi Phi tour for a few days later. This came to 7200 baht. The Phi Phi trip was about £50 each, the city tour about £20 each and the show about £20 each.

We went back to the room for a bit before heading down to the beach to watch the sunset. This was stunning.

I spent ages trying to get splinters out of my foot after taking this photo !

After the sunset we headed back to the room to get changed for dinner. We left about 7:30pm and wandered around for a bit. We were going to try a restaurant called red onion which the guidebook recommended but it had quite a queue so went to one opposite called Reaun which actually looked like it had a better menu.

I had a blue Margarita and Chris had a Leo beer, I obviously had to choose the blue Margarita over the normal Margarita . We ordered a chicken massamam and chicken red thai curry and a rice each. There was a salad and fruit bar which was included. This came to 600 baht. We really enjoyed this meal.

We continued our wander and stopped at some shops. I bought a bag for 250 baht and we got some scarves as presents for 100 baht each for presents. Chris also got his dad a Singha t-shirt for 250 baht. Sorry I didn’t get a photo of any of these!

Chris wanted to watch the football so we stopped off at Angus O'Tooles bar which was opposite our hotel.

We watched the first half with a drink but then left and went back to the hotel about 11pm as we were tired .

Day 7

I woke up about 4:30am but eventually managed to get back to sleep and woke up again at 8:30. Chris was still fast asleep so I went to the gym. After I finished we went to breakfast.

I don't know what made me get the muffin, it was green tea and I didn't like it at all!

We spent the morning relaxing by the pool and at lunchtime headed out of the hotel. I wanted to try a pancake from the stands I'd seen so we headed to the same restaurant as the day before as they had a pancake stand at the front. Chris ordered a friend rice and a coke which was 120 baht from the restaurant and I went and got my banana and caramel pancake which was 80 baht.

Can't find a picture of Chris' lunch sorry!

We came back and spent the afternoon relaxing before getting ready for our evening out.

As part of the Simon Cabaret tickets it included transfer to and from the hotel, as we wanted to go into Patong after we were getting a different transfer which was dropping us into Patong afterwards. We got picked up at 5:10pm which got us to the show at 5:30pm.

We heard that this was the best 'ladyboy show' in Phuket so we thought, when in Rome, we'd go and see one. We collected our tickets with no problem. I'd meant to get a snack this afternoon but had completely forgot so we wandered to find a little shop as we couldn't get into the show yet. We got some pringles and coke, we had to try the purple ones!

The doors opened at 5:45pm and we went in. The show was great, we both enjoyed it more than we expected.

We got a transfer to Patong afterwards, we wanted to go to the Hard Rock Cafe but it dropped us off at the front so we had about a 15 minute walk back to the hard rock. We both got a t-shirt which was 2600 each.

We then wandered back along to Patong beach. We stopped at a restaurant called Sixth restaurant. Chris had fish in chilli sauce and rice and I had chicken in garlic and pepper sauce and rice. We shared a Singha and sprite (so I could make a shandy)!

This was the first faux par of the holiday, Chris mis-read the price of the fish on the menu, so we were shocked when the bill came to about 1400 baht (£35). But he had said it was the best meal of the holiday so I think it was probably worth it.

We found Banglor street which is famous for its bars, and took a wander along. There was so much to take in!

Chris stopped to have a go at a virtual reality rollercoaster for 100 baht, I didn't want to have a go as these sorts of things make me feel sick. Chris loved it but a girl was on it next to him and was screaming so much people were stopping and taking videos of her! I don't know why she stayed on and didn't get off!

We then stopped in a bar for a drink, I had a wine and Chris had a beer. I think this came to about 200 baht. We went to a few more bars, most of them had offers on, including 241 cocktails which was 190 baht.

About midnight we got a tuk tuk back to Karon beach. Upon getting back, we decided we wanted ice cream so went and found a supermarket that was still open! It had been a really fun night and we eventually got back to our room about 1am !

Edited at 03:41 PM.
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 17, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

What lovely days! The food seems amazing and so cheap!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 17, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
What lovely days! The food seems amazing and so cheap!
Thank you Yes with hindsight the food was pretty cheap, it is funny how while you are out there you get so used to it, you start noticing when stuff is more expensive! We found food in Phuket more expensive that Bangkok but we had expected that from what we had read beforehand.
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 18, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
A great few days! Is that what's best to take English money and change out there?
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 18, 12:19 AM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Excitedx4 View Post
A great few days! Is that what's best to take English money and change out there?
Yes we took English. One tip though, they wouldn’t take any damaged English notes, it was the £20s we had trouble with, so make sure they have no rips in.
Old 11 Mar 18, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by LN89 View Post
Yes we took English. One tip though, they wouldn’t take any damaged English notes, it was the £20s we had trouble with, so make sure they have no rips in.
Oh brilliant thanks for the tip 😁
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 18, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Food looks amazing esp the pineapple x
Old 18 May 18, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland View Post
Food looks amazing esp the pineapple x
I couldn’t resist get it served in a pineapple not sure it made much difference but it looked good haha!