Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Aug 23, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Amtrak Anaheim to San Diego

Those who have used Amtrak from Anaheim to San Diego, how did you find it? Easy finding platform, carriage, seats? Easy to find somewhere for luggage? Standard or business seats, is it worth paying the extra for business? Is it easy to make your way from the train/platform to the street at San Diego station?

We are trying to decide whether to take an Uber/Lyft from Anaheim to San Diego or use Amtrak. The cost is the same. I thought it would be easier to just Uber there, husband would rather get the train for space/comfort.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 23, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
BelleWannabe
Serious Dibber

We did the trip in 2017 and found it very easy. You check your luggage in like you do for flying and then it appears on the platform at the other end.
Anaheim station was very modern and not very big so really easy to find the platform. Everything is well signed with lots of displays showing trains/times etc.
We went business class which was nice as we got to sit upstairs and also got a snack box included (sandwiches etc). It wasn’t very much more expensive than standard which is why we chose it. It is a really pretty ride with lots of sea views.
San Diego station was also quite small and easy to navigate. I think we literally walked through the ticket office and straight on to the street. We then used an Uber to get to our accommodation.
We did this all as a last minute plan as I was supposed to drive but left my license at home so we were very much winging it!
05 Tokyo Disney trip 06/10 Hong Kong Disneyland Trips 08/09/11/12(x2)/13/14/15/16 DCL
13 months... 11 parks... 5 Locations... 1 DREAM
BelleWannabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 23, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Thank you so much for the information. The price difference between standard and business is minimal so we would book business. Lovely to hear there are some nice views en route too 😊 I didn’t realise you check your luggage in, roughly how long before departure do you need to be at the station? Our hotel is close to the station in SD so we were thinking of walking it.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 23, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

I am interested in this thread too! Doing the journey the opposite way around, San Diego to Anaheim, in October.

I was thinking of getting to the station 30 mins before the train is due to leave (we can also walk from our SD hotel to the station), but not sure if this is too little time if you have to check in luggage? I had assumed it was like a British train and you just take it on with you!
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 23, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
BelleWannabe
Serious Dibber

The website says 30 mins before if no bags, 45 mins before if checking in baggage.
05 Tokyo Disney trip 06/10 Hong Kong Disneyland Trips 08/09/11/12(x2)/13/14/15/16 DCL
13 months... 11 parks... 5 Locations... 1 DREAM
BelleWannabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 23, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

I just found this: amtrak/onboard/bagga...n-baggage.html

So sounds like we could keep baggage with us (not check in) provided we’re within those limits (note the pacific surfliner limits are slightly different to the standard). It says the luggage can be stored in overhead racks, under seats or designated baggage areas (guessing the designated baggage areas would be best for suitcases - maybe a bit like the luggage storage areas on our trains, usually near doors?).

Looks like I’ll be keeping a close eye on how heavy my bags are.
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 23, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

We kept our cases with us when we used Amtrak from Baltimore to NYC and put it in storage racks. I’m guessing this will be the same and we won’t have to check it in. We fly hand luggage only so have small cabin cases with us. I think I’ll aim to get to the station 45 mins before and if we are a bit late it shouldn’t matter. In the U.K. you rock up 30 seconds before boarding and I’m used to running across to different platforms for tube trains. It seems bizarre to arrive 45 minutes before the train arrives. I was thinking the train will be a similar transit time to Uber but if we have to leave the hotel an hour before to allow for Uber to station and waiting etc then it’ll take longer than jumping in an uber/Lyft at our hotel for a door to door journey. Hmmm decisions decisions!
Old 16 Aug 23, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
We kept our cases with us when we used Amtrak from Baltimore to NYC and put it in storage racks. I’m guessing this will be the same and we won’t have to check it in. We fly hand luggage only so have small cabin cases with us. I think I’ll aim to get to the station 45 mins before and if we are a bit late it shouldn’t matter. In the U.K. you rock up 30 seconds before boarding and I’m used to running across to different platforms for tube trains. It seems bizarre to arrive 45 minutes before the train arrives. I was thinking the train will be a similar transit time to Uber but if we have to leave the hotel an hour before to allow for Uber to station and waiting etc then it’ll take longer than jumping in an uber/Lyft at our hotel for a door to door journey. Hmmm decisions decisions!
I think overall Uber would be a little quicker, but the Pacific Surfliner wins for nice views! Whenever I’ve looked it’s definitely more expensive for us as two adults to Uber, about $130-150 plus tip, whereas Amtrak is only $61 or $89 for business. Much cheaper than trains in the UK
Old 16 Aug 23, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

San Diego railway station is one small historic building on the front literally on the street (old Santa Fe railway). If you want a good decent adjacent hotel book the Springhill Suites👍
Here’s a photo I took in the station 2 weeks ago:

Edited at 04:17 PM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 23, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by orlandoamber View Post
I think overall Uber would be a little quicker, but the Pacific Surfliner wins for nice views! Whenever I’ve looked it’s definitely more expensive for us as two adults to Uber, about $130-150 plus tip, whereas Amtrak is only $61 or $89 for business. Much cheaper than trains in the UK
Maybe I’ll book it for the space and views then. Cost is comparable as there are 6 of us and an Uber/Lyft XL is approx $180-190 and Amtrak is $177 standard and $261 business. It’s much the same financially so it’s down to comfort, views and time I guess.