Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The hills are alive - Salzburg October 2017 Day 1

Wednesday 25th October 2017 - Day 1

It came as no surprise to me that the chair in the bathroom would get some use overnight. I had a fairly restless night and eventually got up at 2am and sat in the bathroom making some notes and trying to read but not really taking anything in.

The alarm was set for 4am. We had a quick cup of tea while everyone used the bathroom and got dressed. We were checking out at 4.30am.

We got a bit confused in the car park - it is not well lit and the exit was not easy to find! After driving around twice we spotted the little dirt track exit and were on our way to drop off the car in the Gatwick South long stay parking.

At the airport we were unable to print out the boarding passes, but the desks were quiet and there was no queue. Security was quick and we were into the terminal lounge by 5.15 am.

The kids had mini strop at us not going to a restaurant in the terminal for breakfast as 'It's a tradition'. I had packed some snacks to keep us going. On reflection, this was not really what I wanted either! I don't think I will do it again as we all enjoy our airport breakfasts.

The plane was not full and we were all boarded early. The plane left ahead of schedule and arrived early. DD was getting pretty excited looking out the window at the mountains.

Salzburg airport is fairly small and we walked from the plane to passport control which was just 2 desks. It wasn't a long wait though and we were through fairly quickly. As we came through the baggage collection area we saw a TV screen showing bus times and a bus was due to leave in 2 minutes for the city centre. It was perfect timing and we arrived at the bus stop just as the bus pulled up.

I had pre-bought the Salzburg card which included travel to and from the airport, around the city and entry to the museums. It was pretty good value I think as it was £112 for all four of us. The bus journey was about 20 minutes and our hotel was a 5 minute walk from the bus station. The room was not ready yet, but we had expected this as it was only just gone 10am. The hotel were happy to store our bags and we went out to explore.

First up we went to the Palace of Mirabell. It has beautiful baroque gardens with sculptures, arbors and fountains. It was build it 1606 by the archbishop Wolf Dietrich for his mistress and their 15 children.

In the Sound of Music movie Maria and the children dance around the fountains and run up the steps singing 'Do, Re, Mi'. Obviously this is what we did ! I didn't want to embarrass everyone too much, so I sang it sort of quietly to myself...

There was a small stage and concert area, a maze and a play park round the side.

We all had a go, even I had my arm twisted to climb up to the top of the tower and try out the slide .

The kids had fun playing for a while, until they started to get a bit peckish.

We wandered over the bridge heading towards the old town centre. The hilltop fortress is in the background.

The kids were absolutely desperate for 'proper' food now and spotted a burger place.

We all had cokes and the kids both had sliders.

DH had a classic burger with fries, I had a club sandwich.

We wandered around the small streets with little tourist shops, restaurants and cafes. We didn't plan on doing any of the museums or visiting any of the churches today as we wanted to have a little tour and look around. We made our way past the birthplace of Mozart. Then onto the main square with the cathedral and musuems. We picked up our Salzburg Cards (I'd used the print out receipt for travelling from the airport).

By now it was approaching 2.30pm and we were a bit tired out. So, we headed back over the bridge and through the Mirabell Gardens towards the hotel. It was much warmer now, around 18 degrees.

We were able to check in to the hotel room. It was a nice room, a good size with 2 queen size double beds.

The kids enjoyed the welcome chocolates and apple. Waiting to eat them...

We all had a little rest. DH had a nap. Kids played around on their tablets. I wrote up some notes. After an hour or so we popped out to the nearby Spar shop for some room snacks, mini croissants for breakfast and a bottle of wine for later. We dropped our mini haul off in the room before wandering around looking for somewhere to eat our dinner.

We ended up in a cute little restaurant about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. There were lots of antler motifs, red and white checked tablecloths and red cushions. Both the kids had cokes and DH and myself had Stiegl (beer). The kids both had Grillwurst (sausage), DH had Bratwurst (sausage) and I had Wiener Schnitzel (Vienna Pork). Both DH and myself had apple strudel for dessert. DS had a chocolate cake with sour cherries and DD had ice cream.

It was all delicious and came to 71 euros. I haven't got photos as DH was feeling a bit grumpy and muttered something like 'Is this what it's going to be like every holiday from now on? Cold food as we have to wait to have a photo taken of our food?' Oh dear , I think he was feeling a bit tired... so I decided it was best to not get my phone out.

Back at the hotel we shared the wine and played cards. DS won yet again.

Tomorrow we visit the mountains and go to the gazebo! I'm very excited, but fortunately sleep fairly well.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 17, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Lovely...I adore Salzburg,love Mirabell Gardens. I even love the airport,the restaurant upstairs serves the best goulash soup. Look forward to the rest of your days.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 17, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

It must have been a long ng day for you with such an early start!

The hotel looks lovely - nice big room!

You managed to see quite a lot for a travel day!

Looking forward to reading the rest!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 17, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Borderbairn
Imagineer

Mobile

Love Salzburg. Can't wait till we visit next summer.

Southern Dunes 2006 & 2007 Highlands Reserve & Hard Rock Hotel May & Sep 2008 The Sanctuary West Haven 2009 Freedom of the Seas & Doubletree Resort 2010 Highlands Reserve May 2012 Windsor Hills 2014 New York 2016
Borderbairn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 17, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Scotsmomma View Post
Lovely...I adore Salzburg,love Mirabell Gardens. I even love the airport,the restaurant upstairs serves the best goulash soup. Look forward to the rest of your days.
The Gardens were only about 10 minutes walk from our hotel and so we passed through them every day, they were gorgeous. The airport is brilliant - a bit like a Greek Island airport as it is so small...we are used to the massive London or USA airports so this was a real surprise for us.

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
It must have been a long ng day for you with such an early start!

The hotel looks lovely - nice big room!

You managed to see quite a lot for a travel day!

Looking forward to reading the rest!
We were absolutely shattered and needed our afternoon rest. The hotel was nice - a conference hotel and we didn't really see many families, a few other tourists but it wasn't a problem as we ate out for all our meals. But usually we like a pre-dinner drink in the bar, it just didn't seem right us with 2 kids and the only other patrons in business attire. It certainly wasn't a problem though.

Originally Posted by Borderbairn View Post
Love Salzburg. Can't wait till we visit next summer.
It was/is a beautiful city.

Thank you all for replying - I'm glad there are people out there interested. I deliberated whether to bother posting as I wasn't sure there would be much interest, but I like writing up the holiday for us as much as for other people so decided it would be worth sharing!

I'm going to try and write up day 2 now.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 17, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Love Austria as a whole. Very clean and friendly. We had two glorious weeks in Aug staying in Soll. Magnificent scenery and as keen walkers it was so refreshing up in the mountains. Our first visit over 20 yrs ago had us staying In Salzburg as I wanted to see Mozarts house, and believe or not had never seen the Sound of Music then
Wondered why groups of choirs singing around the steps and fountains. Had to watch when home.
Enjoy your stay , you are so fortunate to have the experience, rather than the hustle of Florida.
One minus point though is the airport, it’s a nightmare on departure day , as most UK flights depart am, and once through customs the room is very small with no departure rooms and includes duty free. Very little seating.
We had queues stretching back to duty free so people were having probs getting served. That’s the only negative.
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 17, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Looks gorgeous! We really fancy Salzburg at some point
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 17, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by silverfox46 View Post
Love Austria as a whole. Very clean and friendly. We had two glorious weeks in Aug staying in Soll. Magnificent scenery and as keen walkers it was so refreshing up in the mountains. Our first visit over 20 yrs ago had us staying In Salzburg as I wanted to see Mozarts house, and believe or not had never seen the Sound of Music then
Wondered why groups of choirs singing around the steps and fountains. Had to watch when home.
Enjoy your stay , you are so fortunate to have the experience, rather than the hustle of Florida.
One minus point though is the airport, it’s a nightmare on departure day , as most UK flights depart am, and once through customs the room is very small with no departure rooms and includes duty free. Very little seating.
We had queues stretching back to duty free so people were having probs getting served. That’s the only negative.
It is a beautiful city you are right. Although, we were surprised at the prevalence of smoking (outside restaurants as opposed to inside) but it's much less obvious here now. It was a brilliant place to visit and we enjoyed Mozarts house - you will have to wait for day 4 for that though if you can stick with me.

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Looks gorgeous! We really fancy Salzburg at some point
It was pretty and we just wanted to keep taking photos of the buildings and the mountains in the background. Thanks for reading.

Old 5 Nov 17, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

I think I'd be confused in the car park at 4 am after so little sleep ! You did incredibly well to last the day...
Looks so lovely there ... Wot no video of the singing ?
Food sounds good too ( always a priority for us)
That card sounds fab value
And lol to the lack of food pics.. I just ignore the sighs, tuts and eye rolling now .
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 17, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
I think I'd be confused in the car park at 4 am after so little sleep ! You did incredibly well to last the day...
Looks so lovely there ... Wot no video of the singing ?
Food sounds good too ( always a priority for us)
That card sounds fab value
And lol to the lack of food pics.. I just ignore the sighs, tuts and eye rolling now .
Yes I think we did do well for travel day. Ha, ha, I think it is enough that I inflict my dodgy blurred photos on you all, you don't need to hear it too!

The Salzburg card really was good value. We didn't pay for any travel or tickets to attractions out there, so it all felt like it was free.

Given that I now seem to have become addicted to not just the going on the holidays aspect but also the writing a trip report about the holidays aspect I think I will have to just ignore any grumpiness .