Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 14 Apr 18, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Glyndsey
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

New York with kids

Hi
I am looking into possibility of going to New York with an 11 and 9 yr old only been once but was before the kids not sure on best places to stay etc any tips would be great thank you
Glyndsey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 18, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Been twice with kids and they just love love love it! Hoping to return next year. My kids were 6 and 11 then 8 and 13 the second time .
My kids loved all the usual things like totr, Empire State, one world observatory , boat trip round manhattan , Statue of Liberty , inteprid museum - general taking it in. My son loves supwrmario so he loves the Nintendo store - but Central Park with kids is fab. They played on the swings as I sat and looked up at these buildings it was surreal. We hired bikes and cycled round the park ... we also hired the boat in the lake in Central Park ! Magical magical magical ! Next time we want to do Coney Island . Oh and last year we did a day trip to Washington on the train ! It was amazing as everything is within walking distance from the train station ( the White House , Capitol Hill etc etc ) - so much to see and do in nyc and we didn't even do any museums except the one across from Central Park in the movie ( can't remember the name )
Hotel wise we prefer around midtown 35/35/36th street. That way you can easily access uptown to central Park , Bryant Park or Times Square etc or downtown to flatiron , Chelsea etc . That's just my preference. The other thing I'd say is if you get a hotel with brekkie it's so much easier imo with kids. First twice we stayed at New Yorker 34th street , brekkie about 60 dollars a day. Last time we stayed at Hampton inn 35th street and had free brekkie. It had cereal some hot food and waffles which the kids loved. Also had everything on our doorstep ( Macy's etc and a view of Empire State) not a fancy hotel at all but clean and saved a lot when th the brekkie thing - hope this helps ! Can't wait to go next year again
Edited : I've booked yipee

Edited at 02:56 PM.
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 18, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We had a great time with our kids.
We had a city pass, did Empire State Building, top of the rock, water taxi around Statue of Liberty, ground zero, audio tour of grand central station, moma and a speedboat ride on the pass.
Also did a baseball match and saw Mary Poppins on broadway.
Old 14 Apr 18, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Weddingnyc
Apprentice Imagineer

We took our kids 2, 5 and 7, at the time, and they loved it, they walked everywhere. We did the ferry boat, Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge, rockerfeller centre, Times Square, natural history museum, Yankee game, and more. They can’t wait to go back, and talk about it all the time.

I did my own walking plan so we would walk and stop somewhere/see something every 10/15 minutes, and looked at where there might be toilets available. And a plan where we could see the most ‘stuff’ with least walking, and without going around in circles.

When going again we would probably look at Affinia hotels as they have large rooms with mini kitchens, and stop in walking distance to Times Square again, so we could pop out late on a night, get food, etc, and know we don’t have to get any transport back.
NY and Boston July 2020
Weddingnyc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 18, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My youngest boys were 8 and 10 when we went last year! They loved NY we hired bikes and spent 4 hrs cycling in Central Park on a Sunday morning. We went up the TOTR and ESB loved both but ESB was their favourite. Went to the SOL Crown they thought that was amazing no complaints about all the stairs! Grand Central was stunning, 9/11 pools awe inspiring and provoked lots of difficult but thought proving conversations. We ate at HRC which they love, thrilled at going to Cake Boss and getting some of the pastries they’ve seen on the show and $1 pizza slices were apparently the best pizza ever. Walked the Brooklyn Bridge for amazing views of Manhattan and the High Line for a different perspective. They laughed and sang on a nighttime tour of The Ride which was a real highlight and they thought was fab totally recommend when those little legs are tired on an evening.
We packed a lot into 3 days!
Everybody’s looking forward to going back in July! 😁

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 18, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Fabulous thread!

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 18, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Mobile

Ooooh yes I agree the $1 dollar pizza is a massive hit with my kids. That was our dinner a fair few nights ... no need for big fancy expensive restaurants with my kids lol - easy pleased
And too many canary/Balearic island visits to list
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Glyndsey
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Thank you for all the tips some great ones there never even considered going to Washington by train. just completely lost over which hotels to stay either finding them very expensive for a family of 4 or ones that have bad reviews ! Where did you stay out there ?
Glyndsey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Glyndsey View Post
Thank you for all the tips some great ones there never even considered going to Washington by train. just completely lost over which hotels to stay either finding them very expensive for a family of 4 or ones that have bad reviews ! Where did you stay out there ?
What's your dates and how many people ? I thought prices were ok tbh . Stayed a New Yorker twice then Hampton inn 35th street third time. Haven't bought ole dmybhiye yet for next year as most not listed yet but there's some crackin deals for this year I've saw including brekkie
And too many canary/Balearic island visits to list
Old 24 Apr 18, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Minniebella
VIP Dibber

We are going with our 6 & 7 year olds in August,they are so excited and can't wait to go to Central Park,oh and to eat lots of pizza!
Where do you find $1 slice of pizza?😋
Minniebella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List