Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 17 Apr 18, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Bahrainian nights!

My eldest son previously known as Grumpy George is now full grown (19) and now known as Genius George - he has landed himself a fantastic first job with British Forces Radio (he has always been into techy stuff and particularly loves radio engineering) Since October he has been posted to Germany, Gibraltar, Cyprus and is now out in Bahrain as his permanent station. Not one to miss an opportunity to travel, I decided to pay him a visit, and bring his girlfriend Bethany-Rose out with me, as she didnt want to travel alone. Its our first time in the Middle East.

I did my usual extensive research and planning and booked British Airways flights, and 5 nights at the Intercontinental Regency Bahrain, we also added an extra night before flying at the Sofitel Heathrow, using a Dibb tip about lastminute.com secret hotel deal on it saving me £50! Thanks dibbers!

The Sofitel didn’t disappoint - its always a fabulous way to start a holiday, and we enjoyed a great meal in the Hotel (which more than made up for the money saved on the room it wasnt cheap at all but was really good!) We also had a little glass of wine to start as we mean to go on...

After a fab nights sleep, we headed into Terminal 5 for our flight. I was very pleasantly surprised by BA economy - the seat was confortable, they have added head rest type supports to the seats, which is a nice touch, and the movie selection was good, I watched Darkest Hour, (good) and Downsizing (awful) The staff were very proactive and friendly, moving people into rows with empty seats to space everyone out. We had a row of three with an empty seat between us.

We had ordered a Gourmet meal online which is a new option with BA, and it was £18 per person, we got proper cutlery, King Prawn Cocktail, tender Beef cheek with puree potato, roasted carrots, parsnips, courgettes, and lots of lovely gravy, folkowed by a rich chocolate mousse dessert, then cheese and crackers. Yummy. We were stuffed!
If you cannot afford a seat upgrade you can upgrade your food, I felt it was worth it!

We were also served wine, tea/coffee, juice, water, a magnum ice cream, and a sandwich/toblerone before landing. We rolled off the plane 😂

I was a little nervous about entering Bahrain, and doing visa on arrival, but it was very quick, you simply fill out a form about your passport details, flight info and where you will be staying in Bahrain, and you can pay by debit or credit card at the desk, staff were welcoming too, not scary! It was 5BHD which is about £10 (its roughly double here with exchange rate)

George was there to meet us, and we were soon arriving at the Intercontinental Hotel, along with a bus full of the BA cabin crew who were also staying here! Must be a good choice then.

Our room is on 7th floor, Club level, which means we have access to a lounge for tea or evening drinks etc. Worth having as it is quite expensive over here. The room is modern, and the shower could fit a family in it. We have a city view.

We had a late dinner in the Italian restaurant in the Hotel, it came to around £80 for three of us.
It was very tasty though and George said he was really happy that we were here, which was nice. 😊

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 18, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Day one - Mall and Pool

Now I will start by saying I dont plan to do lots of sight seeing, or mad activities this holiday, it is meant as some quality down time, so I hope you like photos of food, wine and swimming pools!

We slept well, apart from being woken at approx 4am by the sound of the prayer being called at the mosque- I actually really like it, its beautiful and very melodic.

We had breakfast in the club lounge, fruit, eggs, salmon, cheese, and english tea.

After breakfast we headed out to the City Centre Mall, just a couple of miles away, it has so many shops including M&S, IHOP, Shake Shack, Coldstone Creamery, and to my amusement ‘FATAFAT’ which is what I am going to be by the end of this trip!

I was very intrigued to see that Bahrainan locals are very relaxed, open, friendly people who look like they laugh a lot, and like the western lifestyle. We did hear the call to prayer in the mall, but nobody stopped shopping! The toilets were super clean, much cleaner than UK. Everything here is. They have the same plug sockets we do too so thats easy. We walked around for couple of hours then headed back to the hotel to swim and read by the pool. There were lovely little birds everywhere, like budgies I think, and the pool was HEAVEN. I have had cold after cold since Christmas so needed the sun so much.

Am now getting ready to go to dinner, Steak tonight in the Hotel. (And wine)

Our trip reports -

Edited at 08:38 PM.
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 18, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Have a great trip Louise! Enjoy that sunshine!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 18, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Thank you Mel! I hope you are keeping well 😊

Our trip reports -
Old 17 Apr 18, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

We are always asking on the Dibb for good book reads, I am reading Jill Mansell, “This could change everything” its a chick flick type of book, (rom com) but quirky and I like it. Its lovely to have time to read! I read nearly half a book today. Bliss.

Here are a couple of food photos from tonights dinner, we were given an Amuse Bouche and everything, very posh! I had Salmon, and vegetables, it was delicious, reminded me of the Flying Fish at the Boardwalk. I still miss Florida though

We were going to get an after dinner drink, but the bar had a strong cigarette smell so am tucked up in bed at 10pm. Never know whether to leave the air conditioning on, or off, at night. I hate the noise of it, but dont want to wake up sweating buckets! 😩
Tomorrow we are planning to visit the Mosque, and the US naval base where George is working.

Our trip reports -
Old 17 Apr 18, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I always read chick lit on holidays - no brainers as I like to call them

Dinner looks lovely! Being tucked up at 10pm is perfectly acceptable on holiday

And to answer your question - I am fine Kids on their Spring break. O is off to Thailand on Saturday! It will be a quiet second week!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 18, 06:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
I always read chick lit on holidays - no brainers as I like to call them

Dinner looks lovely! Being tucked up at 10pm is perfectly acceptable on holiday

And to answer your question - I am fine Kids on their Spring break. O is off to Thailand on Saturday! It will be a quiet second week!
You are a family of intrepid travellers I love it! Wishing O a lovely time in Thailand, and maybe you can enjoy the quiet with a book!

Our trip reports -
Old 18 Apr 18, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Today we spent the morning by the pool, with me jumping like a complete mess off my sunbed when a wasp the size of a shoe decided it liked me, I was trying to be so cool by the pool but noooooo... it was not to be. The pool is mostly inhabited by business men, on very important business and I am sure I provided some fantastic entertainment!

By lunchtime I decided I needed wine. After all, I am on holiday, and thats what people do! (Not me usually I dont drink in the day but, I made an exception following the giant wasp incident)
I also consumed a huge bag of posh vegetable crisps. Yummy. Am sure the business men were now convinced I am actually very cool.

Mid afternoon we headed over to the Naval base, to see where George works. Bahrain is basically a big building site at the moment, apparently they are building the biggest building in the world at present, its pretty stark here, not very green from what I have seen, but the palm trees are nice.

We went past the Grand Mosque, but didnt go inside today. It did look very impressive though.

The base was a typical US base, we went to the NEX and got a load of american goodies, Cheetos, Jolly Ranchers, Reeces candy, and Cool Aid. I couldnt take many photos officially, but, I did manage to get a photo of this very Epcot looking spaceship earth type thing!

We walked over a big bridge to see the UK base where George actually works and lives, but we couldnt go in, its all very new, and very tight security.

We could just make out the buildings George sleeps and works in, behind him.

For dinner we headed to Adiya district, a really pretty area of Bahrain, known for restaurants, there is a Thai, Indian, Irish, French, Greek etc, and lots of pretty palm trees decorated with fairy lights, it is really lovely.
We ate at The Meat Co, a steakhouse, the staff were fantastic - so friendly and welcoming and the food was great too, we shared calamari, prawns, then had steaks and chicken skewer. During dessert I got a bit of a surprise as the staff came over to do an african dance with drums, tambourines etc and sang to me at the table! It was really amazing and made our night special. There is a meat co in London apparently which we will try to check out.

On returning to the Hotel, we went for a nightcap by the pool bar, and inhaled all the prevelant cigar smoke then off to bed. I got a surprise in my bedroom, a napkin had been placed on the floor by my bed, anyone have any idea why?!

Our trip reports -
Old 18 Apr 18, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Hi Louise!

How nice to spot your trippy! Hope Bethany-Rose and yourself are having a relaxing time. It must be lovely for you both to see George.

Your hotel looks great - particularly the Club lounge and the food! I'm sure the business men found you very entertaining avoiding the wasp! Shame about the smoke smell in the bar though

I don't know if theres a hidden meaning about the napkin by your bed

Enjoy the sun!
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 18, 06:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

I asked reception staff about the napkin and it is part of turndown service apparently. I thought it might be meant as a prayer mat..

We are lucky to have club lounge access here as it is extremely expensive- a glass of wine is 6BHD (£11) I dont think I could afford to live here for long!

Our trip reports -