Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 May 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Quensabob
VIP Dibber

Quensabob's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Originally Posted by bennyboy0751 View Post
you are correct teekay i should not but please feel my frustration at trying to help and been made out to be a scaremongerer when im not i dont want anyone loosing money or holidays just to help but a massive but the truth has to be toild and i have not lied at all even to the point of breeching copywright to show you all the truth not my words but real people in the know we need to all be on one side to help everybody involved in this after all we are dibbers
But you did state that hundreds were leaving Thomas Cook as a fact which was just gossip!

Sunset Ridge Sept2006,Highlands Reserve Sept 2007,Solana Sept 2008,Championsgate March 2010,Courtyard 2011,Clarion Inn June 2013,lakebuena vista resort Sept 2015, Santa Fe Paris Sept 2017,Newport Bay Club Paris March 2018,Clarion inn August 2018,Coronado Springs September 2019, Hotel l’elysee Disneyland Paris March 2020 ,Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa November2022, Pop Century September 2023
Quensabob is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
bennyboy0751
VIP Dibber

no i spoke to tc employee yesterday and let slip whilst talking that she had done loads of cancelations and that they were getting inundated with requests to cancel not gossip
bennyboy0751 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
metalguru
Apprentice Imagineer

metalguru's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Why dis the way someone pays for their holiday. Both Virgin Holidays and British Airways Holidays provide a direct debit payment facility. And as the op was worried they did what was best for them.
metalguru is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Mobile

you are correct teekay i should not but please feel my frustration at trying to help and been made out to be a scaremongerer when im not i dont want anyone loosing money or holidays just to help but a massive but the truth has to be toild and i have not lied at all even to the point of breeching copywright to show you all the truth not my words but real people in the know we need to all be on one side to help everybody involved in this after all we are dibbers
To be fair the ‘truth’ is based on:

-an apparent TC reps comment on some other people cancelling their holidays (some of which may be unrelated to the current circumstances)
-comment / opinion from son who works for another TA
-story in the press (from a hedge fund who has more to gain if the share price drops)

So the ‘real people in the know’ is a little extreme, the thread is written like you’ve got the inside track with the CEO or some insider knowledge, which is clearly not the case.

At the end of he day you’ve done what you believe is right for you (which given you’ve apparently saved money was a no brainer anyway irrespective of the current circumstances) and let people know. Other than this I would agree with others that it comes across as scaremongering and other Dibbers should take it into consideration by all means but research further as needed before making an snap decisions and potentially lose money unnecessarily.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
RobandLynsey
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
To be fair the ‘truth’ is based on:

-an apparent TC reps comment on some other people cancelling their holidays (some of which may be unrelated to the current circumstances)
-story in the press (from a hedge fund who has more to gain if the share price drops)

So the ‘real people in the know’ is a little extreme, the thread is written like you’ve got the inside track with the CEO or some insider knowledge, which is clearly not the case.

At the end of he day you’ve done what you believe is right for you (which given you’ve apparently saved money was a no brainer anyway irrespective of the current circumstances) and let people know. Other than this I would agree with others that it comes across as scaremongering and other Dibbers should take it into consideration by all means but research further as needed before making an snap decisions and potentially lose money unnecessarily.
Yes think I may have defended OP earlier but the truth is looking a bit ropey especially when one of the people involved is part of a rival firm doesn’t fly straight with me.

I still think sometimes on here people are called out for scaremongering when they are quite rightly worried however this time I fear this may be justified.
Old 19 May 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
metalguru
Apprentice Imagineer

metalguru's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

[QUOTE=toonarmani;13853051]To be fair the ‘truth’ is based on:

At the end of he day you’ve done what you believe is right for you (which given you’ve apparently saved money was a no brainer anyway irrespective of the current circumstances) and let people know. Other than this I would agree with others that it comes across as scaremongering and other Dibbers should take it into consideration by all means but research further as needed before making an snap decisions and potentially lose money unnecessarily.[/QUOTE

And your opinion is obviously better than the ops. Pathetic.
metalguru is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
bennyboy0751
VIP Dibber

really ropey ok thats how you feel okay i warned you ive tried to help you ive done my best sorry folks ive done my bits so what happens happens now when and it will by look of it tc collapses dont come running crying you were warned about it so i finished with this post because doubting thomas will see lol
bennyboy0751 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by metalguru View Post
Why dis the way someone pays for their holiday. Both Virgin Holidays and British Airways Holidays provide a direct debit payment facility. And as the op was worried they did what was best for them.
Paying direct debit for some something you do not have is a daft way of paying for something (there are a few exceptions such as utilities).

Firstly - you could be gaining interest on this money
Secondly - you will not be getting section 35 protection
Thirdly - if using other forms of payment you could get a bonus such as air miles
Fourthly - if you have a dispute for any reason with the company you have booked with your position will be stronger if they don’t hold your money.

Let’s look at a £6k holiday in 18 months time say £500 deposit so £5.5k remaining needs to be paid 12 weeks before departure. So 15 payments of £375 into an AA instant saver via top cash back this gives you about £15 cash back the interest is 1.36% so each payment will get about £.45p for each m9nth it’s 8n there not working the maths now but I think that is over £45 so we are already at £60 better off. When it’s coming up to pay apply for a credit card that either gives you cash back or points take the; basic virgin credit card You will get 12k of points for joining and spending £1k in the first 90 days and then 2.75k for the spend.

So as an absolute minimum total of £60 and 14.5k of points for still paying monthly just to yourself not the company.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
traceyt
Imagineer

I think people may choose direct debit as I believe you then dont have to pay a deposit. In this situation its all personal choice - some people wont worry as financially covered by abta, however some people will struggle with the uncertainty - im sure the people affected by the virgin fiasco last year would agree that it ruined the build up to the holiday. I really dont think there's a right or wrong.
Old 19 May 19, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
RobandLynsey
Very Serious Dibber

really ropey ok thats how you feel okay i warned you ive tried to help you ive done my best sorry folks ive done my bits so what happens happens now when and it will by look of it tc collapses dont come running crying you were warned about it so i finished with this post because doubting thomas will see lol
I don't doubt they are in trouble and that is why I didn't book with them in the first place way before the posting of profits. Any company (even the likes of Apple/Microsoft) would struggle with that type of loss and would need to take remedial action and they were looking problematic beforehand.

To say they will definitely go under which is what you are now stating with inflated inside knowledge is not right.

If anyone wants to make an informed decision, which you have and I commend you for that, should look at the reported facts and make their own choice. They have not gone under yet and may get through with the sale of the airline or other measures they will have in place. They may go under and dependent on your circumstances you may not want to take the risk.

No one really knows what will happen and that is the only truth.