Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 16 Oct 09, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
A-men! Preach it brother Sprocket.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 09, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
riverdancefan
Imagineer

riverdancefan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I suppose I just think the following...

Smoking kills, and can cause some pretty awful debilitating diseases... FACT

MOst smokers polled don't want their own children to smoke FACT

Why then? in a place full of children, aimed at children, marketed to include children, situated in a civilized, enlightened , educated country.. is smoking allowed, here, there , everywhere, left unchecked and encouraged by the mere fact it isn't discouraged?

I simply cannot get my head around it at all!

apart from that ..DLP isn't half-bad!
riverdancefan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 09, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Peter H
VIP Dibber

Smoking is not allowed in DLP tje rules are just not enforced. That is annoying. Gill H is my wife and as she pointed out she is asthmatic. My brother in law died last year indirectly from smoking. He got cancer of the throat. He got through that and died of flu as his body defences were shot from the treatment. I still love DLP. As Gill pointed out a lot of the smokers where Brits as were a lot of the pushers. We did Cafe Mickey and Mickey and Stitch were mobbed and they has to sit down till CMs got the kids to sit back down. A lot were Brits. We are not saints.

If you didn't like it and don't want to again then say so, say that you wouldn't recommend it and give good reasons, but I think to actively disscourage people from going is perhaps going a little too far.

I think CMs should enforce the smoking ban and if enough people badgered DLP they would do something about it.

DLP: day trips 2000, 03; Cheyenne Sep 09, Feb 11; Sequoia Lodge June 08, May 12; Elysee May 12, Jan 13, Sep 13; Disneyland Hotel Mar 15, Santa Fe Nov 16, Newport Bay Sep 17
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14 Other: DCL Disney Magic Sep 17

Trippies and videos from:
Orlando
DLP Cruise and other
Peter H is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 09, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Interesting thread.

I went to DLP about 3 years after it opened in December and absolutely hated it, at that time I had only done WDW once. It was cold, wet, queuing was uncontrolled and it made be generally miserable. Anyway 'nuff said.

I don't like smoking, I don't like uncontrolled queuing, pushing etc etc but I have free Eurostar tickets and I am going to give it a try again in March. This time I know what to expect and I will adapt my normally calm controlled manner as appropriate - I will not be bullied I will stand my ground and this time I will enjoy it. Other peoples attitudes, habits and behaviour will not spoil it for me.

WDW whilst great with queues etc is gradually slipping into the same vain, queuing, pushing and general inconsiderate behaviour is becoming more common.

It's a sad reflection but peoples respect and behaviour are changing unfortunately.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 09, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Smoking is allowed at DLP in special areas only.

I still feel it should go futher though, bells and lights etc.

Originally Posted by Peter H View Post
Smoking is not allowed in DLP tje rules are just not enforced. That is annoying. Gill H is my wife and as she pointed out she is asthmatic. My brother in law died last year indirectly from smoking. He got cancer of the throat. He got through that and died of flu as his body defences were shot from the treatment. I still love DLP. As Gill pointed out a lot of the smokers where Brits as were a lot of the pushers. We did Cafe Mickey and Mickey and Stitch were mobbed and they has to sit down till CMs got the kids to sit back down. A lot were Brits. We are not saints.

If you didn't like it and don't want to again then say so, say that you wouldn't recommend it and give good reasons, but I think to actively disscourage people from going is perhaps going a little too far.

I think CMs should enforce the smoking ban and if enough people badgered DLP they would do something about it.
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 09, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Oh and you know whats worst than smoking, salt. You know they add all that salt to the food in the Disney parks. I hate passive salting
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 09, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
never ever ever ever ever ever (x10000) go at the weekend.

never
never
never
never
ever
ever

You will be paying a premium to queue longer.
Due to school and work committments, some of us don't have a choice. I'm hoping that the GAC we'll get for our son who is autistic, mentally handicapped and in a wheelchair will make it a bit easier for us though.
Old 16 Oct 09, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Talking

Originally Posted by Peter H View Post
Smoking is not allowed in DLP tje rules are just not enforced.

Not quite sure where this is mentioned!

The issue is not with Disney - having just returned it is blatantly obvious that smoking is rife in DLP & is not contained, the only places where there are no smoking signs are when you enter the queue area of the various attractions & inside eating places. Other than that it is widespread - this is the French culture (some way behind us British & the US Parks), even other Euro guests (Germans, British etc) go with the flow & light up as & when they feel like it. DLP CM's do not approach any guest asking them to stop smoking, the walkways are littered with butts with CM's continuously sweeping up. I will admit that I did come out of the Parks in the evening feeling "dirty" & was glad to jump in the shower. Some of the toilets are also a sight later in the day - women using gents facilities because they cannot be bothered to queue!

IMHO DLP will probably go the same as WDW etc in relation to confining smoking to specific areas but it will be a shock to the French visitors & will take time. CM's also have the continuous battle of stopping quests from climbing railings, standing on benches & grassed areas to get a view of the parades - the sort of things that you would not see in WDW/DLR, we also noted that both Parks & some Hotels in some areas are showing signs of wear & tear & in need of a freshen up.

The actions of the guests show a lower level of respect for the entertainment provided combined with the French (Euro) custom. I did not see any evidence of queue jumping this visit (which was noticeable in previous trips) so I cannot comment. But on past experience it has mainly been teenagers in groups of 3 or 4!

That all said I would happily visit DLP again & again, it's a quick fix, close-by albeit boardering on expensive due to the exchange rate!
Old 16 Oct 09, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post

hi...just got back last week from our first dlp trip and i was taken back of the smoking that is allowed in the parks and also the pushing and shoving of little children to the characters was awful...BUT...we had a great time...loved the parks and yes it is no wdw but really enjoyed it,the characters are great and try to spend lots of time with all the children... will go back if any spare cash comes my way....
Old 16 Oct 09, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
motty1969
Imagineer

motty1969's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by baldybouncer View Post
To be honest looking at some of the replies the only people who disagree with me I would imagine are smokers... And if they like being around smokers thats fine but to me a holiday for kids (big and small) should not be under clouds of Carcinogenic smoke.

For our family now we will save longer and go to florida and have a better holiday
I am not a smoker and hate smoking with a vengence. It's a disgusting habit. You can't stop people smoking as much as we would like to have a smoke free world, it's never gonna happen! I suggest you don't bother gonig back but don't put other people off the place. We never saw clouds of smoke in the parks? Yes it's horrible when you are in amongst people who are stupid enoiugh to smoke, but that's up to them . Europe isn't as strict as us about no smoking, perhaps it should be? !
motty1969 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread