Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Jul 18, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Pookle
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Fire near Yosemite

We’ve still a little time before we get to Yosemite but just started following the news about the fires over there which seems to be spreading.

I was just wondering what would happen in this case if were weren’t able to go into the valley - we’ve got hotels and tours booked and paid for. Would we get this back or would we have to go through travel insurance?

Tonight is all about planning an alternative stop should Yosemite not be a good idea.
Old 17 Jul 18, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

Looking at the current information it appears the fire is near the 140 and means that road has been closed in places. So if you are staying as the cedar lodge you could have an issue. But if you intend to go via Oakhurst I can't see that causing you a problem as there is a peak between them, but fires can be unpredicable. They closed the tiago pass one year and that meant a massive detour. But I did hear that they had cut power at one point to the valley because the fire was near the powerlines. Sorry can not help with what to do if you can not get to the valley , but i suspect that the NPS would refund as it won't just be you it will be their employees as well.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 18, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

I would speak to TravelYosemite and see what the cancelation policy is when fires are on. Fires are unfortunately very common in California so i'm sure they have a policy in place. Not sure if you use youtube but there is a family called 'phil emma & ben' that did a California trip in 2013 when there was a big fire in the same area and the same road was closed. It would give you a feel of what to expect.

Edit to add: not sure if your travel insurance would cover you as it's an 'act of god' on a lot of policies.
DCL: '14 Disney Magic.

Edited at 02:28 PM.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 18, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Oh dear I’m currently in san fransisco and travelling to Yosemite on Thursday. I’d better check, thanks
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 03:06 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We were at Yosemite today. As you can see from my DH Northernson’s post earlier we had to book a new hotel at Oakhurst as Cedar Lodge has been evacuated. We were due to go on Valley Floor tour this morning but this was cancelled due to the air quality, tours in enclosed buses went ahead. There was no problem getting a refund. The fire is still growing but Yosemite itself is still open and busy. Unfortunately it is extremely smoky, we were unable to see any of the famous views and all our clothes & hair now smell strongly of smoke like we have been to a bonfire! We went to Mariposa Grove this afternoon & really enjoyed that. Hope this helps.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 18, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Pookle
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lintzford Girl View Post
We were at Yosemite today. As you can see from my DH Northernson’s post earlier we had to book a new hotel at Oakhurst as Cedar Lodge has been evacuated. We were due to go on Valley Floor tour this morning but this was cancelled due to the air quality, tours in enclosed buses went ahead. There was no problem getting a refund. The fire is still growing but Yosemite itself is still open and busy. Unfortunately it is extremely smoky, we were unable to see any of the famous views and all our clothes & hair now smell strongly of smoke like we have been to a bonfire! We went to Mariposa Grove this afternoon & really enjoyed that. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the update! We're not due to stay there until 3rd August so hoping that the situation might be under control by then
Old 20 Jul 18, 03:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’m in Yosemite atm, arrived at Tenaya lodge earlier. There is a fair bit of smoke and they have a lot of firefighters about but it is safe atm. We have a tour booked for tomorrow but glacier point is closed for the foreseeable future and visibility elsewhere is reduced
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 18, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Pookle
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
I’m in Yosemite atm, arrived at Tenaya lodge earlier. There is a fair bit of smoke and they have a lot of firefighters about but it is safe atm. We have a tour booked for tomorrow but glacier point is closed for the foreseeable future and visibility elsewhere is reduced
Yes saw about Glacier Point. I feel safe about going but it’s the smoke and visibility that bothers me. Due to be on Glacier Point tour on 4th August which is some way from but if don’t cancel accommodation next week we’ll not get our deposit back. So unsure about what to do.
Old 20 Jul 18, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Pookle View Post
Yes saw about Glacier Point. I feel safe about going but it’s the smoke and visibility that bothers me. Due to be on Glacier Point tour on 4th August which is some way from but if don’t cancel accommodation next week we’ll not get our deposit back. So unsure about what to do.
We're due to be in Yosemite 1st to 4th Aug, staying at Valley Lodge, with a trip to Glacier Point the day before you, on 3rd Aug.

We'll be keeping our booking for the lodge for now and we will go ahead as planned, although it looks like we may need to drop the Glacier Point trip. We'll keep an eye on developments over the next 1-2 weeks.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 18, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Pookle
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by TheRock View Post
We're due to be in Yosemite 1st to 4th Aug, staying at Valley Lodge, with a trip to Glacier Point the day before you, on 3rd Aug.

We'll be keeping our booking for the lodge for now and we will go ahead as planned, although it looks like we may need to drop the Glacier Point trip. We'll keep an eye on developments over the next 1-2 weeks.
So hard to make a decision! I think I’ve got until next Thursday to cancel and not lose money so I might plan an alternative in the meantime and see what happens. It’s still only 7% contained so I can’t see it slowing down yet.