Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 25 Oct 20, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
shoei
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I have done allsorts but my preference is rum!
shoei is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

I went and looked in our cupboard this aft, found two unopened bottles of baileys, one was dated 2017, the other had Nov 2020. Think I will bin the 2017 one! Oh and a nearly full bottle of vodka, now that came from duty free on our return from honeymoon in 2007! Lol

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

I use vodka and would also give Malibu a try but haven’t yet-the fruit I put in is not the traditional Christmas cake recipe it has apricots, cherries, pineapple and glacé ginger...I prefer it to the dark more traditional cake which I usually put whisky, brandy or rum.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lindasarahlou View Post
I always use sherry. Harvey's Bristol creme does the job! Glass for the fruit, glass for me! Only time I drink it though, so one bottle does a number of years! 🤣
I'm with you, one for the cake and one for me
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 01:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Alllovedisney
slightly serious Dibber

I don’t bks one, but my my does.

Last year she fed the cake regularly with my dad’s 12 star metaxa!

The cake was amazing! Dad was bemused!
DLP (offsite) Sep 1998 WDW (offsite) Nov 2002 DLP (DCR) Jan 2005 DLP (DCR) Nov 2009 DLP (SF) Oct 2010 DLP (DLH) Feb 2013 St Petes & WDW (SSR) Sep/Aug 2016 DLP (DCR) Sep 2017 DLP (offsite Explorers) Dec 2017 DLP (DCR) May 2018 DLP (DCR) Sep 2018 DLP (HC for Disney Performing Arts) July 2019.
Alllovedisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

Start my christmas cakes in November and have always used Brandy and fresh orange juice in the mix and then feed it 2/3 times till its wrapped up ready for christmas, Yummy
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

Well just put all my fruit in a jar with some brandy and ameretto. Smells good! I think I'm going to do the James Martin recipe.

How is everyone decorating them. I normally do a rough icing and a snow scene but would like something different.

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 20, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

I haven’t made a Christmas cake for years but will be this year.
We have a local shop which sells loose food ( a bit like the old weigh and save shops) , they are selling ingredient kits for Christmas cakes. They do a standard cake, gluten free and vegan. They even include the glacé cherries/ apricots/ cranberries ready chopped and a little container with a couple of tablespoons of black treacle in it. They have even included the paper to line the cake tin.
They also supply the recipe
You have to supply butter/ eggs and any alcohol you want to use.
I’m planning to make my cake today and have soaked the fruit in some brandy overnight. On checking my drinks cupboard I’ve a small amount of Three Barrels Brandy and a small amount of sherry so I think I’ll be feeding with a mixture of both.
Decorating wise I think I’m going to cheat and use some ready made fondant icing.
I’ve also bought a kit for DD which I will post to her For her birthday. Rather than sending up the fruit in a glass jar, the shop put her chopped fruit in a refillable cup for me.
I’ve wrapped and labelled the different items for her so it may take a while for help to work out what I’ve sent her

Talland 2016 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 20, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I made my cake earlier this week and used brandy. DH thinks we’ll be eating it as soon as December arrives- we won’t.😂
I don’t decorate mine as I prefer to eat it with a nice slice of cheese. 🥰
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List