Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 28 Oct 20, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Rach86
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
We stayed 2 / 3 nights at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon
13201 Overseas Highway , Marathon, Florida 33050 last summer.

It was a great location. Hotel a little dated (but had a nice homely feel), but rooms were very big, grab and go breakfast, lovely pool (big old lizards come visit!) and a lovely independent restaurant behind it - Sparkys.

I can't remember price - pretty sure we used IGH points for the stay...but would recommend.
Thank you. Could you walk to the beach? X
Old 28 Oct 20, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rach86 View Post
Thank you. Could you walk to the beach? X
No - water sports off jetty, but we didn't find a beach whilst out walking from hotel. In between 2 parks though, short drives.
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

The Keys don't really have many beaches - lots of water, boats and coastline, but not the beaches. Bahia Honda and Harry Harris State Parks are the only ones I can think of, although some hotels have a small area of sand. Maybe spend a few days further North - Miami area and above if you want to walk to the beach.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Rach86
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
The Keys don't really have many beaches - lots of water, boats and coastline, but not the beaches. Bahia Honda and Harry Harris State Parks are the only ones I can think of, although some hotels have a small area of sand. Maybe spend a few days further North - Miami area and above if you want to walk to the beach.
Oh really. I thought it was full of them. Alot of the hotels say private beach so was just going by that really.x
Old 28 Oct 20, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

The 'private beach' will be just that, a small area of sand next to the water - have a look on google earth, you'll be able to see the size/type of the beaches.

ETA I don't think that I've explained myself very well. The sand is there - so there is a beach, but there's often a wall of rocks between it and the water, not the kind of long sandy beach with a sandy shoreline for paddling/playing that you would usually expect.

Edited at 02:10 PM.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 20, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Rach86
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
The 'private beach' will be just that, a small area of sand next to the water - have a look on google earth, you'll be able to see the size/type of the beaches.

ETA I don't think that I've explained myself very well. The sand is there - so there is a beach, but there's often a wall of rocks between it and the water, not the kind of long sandy beach with a sandy shoreline for paddling/playing that you would usually expect.
Will defo take a look. Thank you x
Old 30 Oct 20, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We’ve stayed in a few and the best was the Island Bay resort in Tavernier. Small cottage types with outside patios and barbecues
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 20, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Rach86
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Lola View Post
We’ve stayed in a few and the best was the Island Bay resort in Tavernier. Small cottage types with outside patios and barbecues
We are a family of 5 so i dont think we can stay here. Think its just for 2 unless ive read it wrong x
Old 4 Nov 20, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Rach86 View Post
So basically the day we check in we would pay around $200 for resort fee and then breakfast if we want etc? X
Yes, but then again, it is no secret and it is also a fact that in certain areas, most hotels charge such fees.

As an example, car parking in our 3 star in San Francisco in 2018 was $75 per day.

Sun loungers are often charged, as are kids clubs and many other things.

Nobody would say that Hawks Cay is bargain basement and as in most things, you have to weigh up a whole package when judging vfm, not just the headline rate.in fact, nobody would say that the Keys as a whole is bargain basement, particularly the middle and lower ones.

We booked through Virgin Hols and that is very rare indeed for us. I note that you are a family of 5 and must add that we booked a lovely, two bedroom, two storey chalet, right on the water. I am very tight when it comes to money, so the deal must have been very competitive indeed.
Next August is running at £1140 for 3 nights in a 2 bedroom chalet with Ebookers. Most workplace schemes give an 8% discount on Ebookers. That would cover the resort fee!

The resort has hundreds of wild iguanas and an excellent kids are/pool/clubhouse.

They also have a man made lagoon where you can have a Dolphin experience along the lines of Discovery Cove.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 06:39 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 20, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Rach86
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Yes, but then again, it is no secret and it is also a fact that in certain areas, most hotels charge such fees.

As an example, car parking in our 3 star in San Francisco in 2018 was $75 per day.

Sun loungers are often charged, as are kids clubs and many other things.

Nobody would say that Hawks Cay is bargain basement and as in most things, you have to weigh up a whole package when judging vfm, not just the headline rate.in fact, nobody would say that the Keys as a whole is bargain basement, particularly the middle and lower ones.

We booked through Virgin Hols and that is very rare indeed for us. I note that you are a family of 5 and must add that we booked a lovely, two bedroom, two storey chalet, right on the water. I am very tight when it comes to money, so the deal must have been very competitive indeed.
Next August is running at £1140 for 3 nights in a 2 bedroom chalet with Ebookers. Most workplace schemes give an 8% discount on Ebookers. That would cover the resort fee!

The resort has hundreds of wild iguanas and an excellent kids are/pool/clubhouse.

They also have a man made lagoon where you can have a Dolphin experience along the lines of Discovery Cove.
Amazing info thank you. Well when i read about the dolphins that made me want to go haha! Thank you so much x