Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Oct 20, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Hannah
Apprentice Imagineer

Hannah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Multifocal/varifocal contact lenses

I wear glasses and need them for reading only, not distance (my distance vision is not quite 20/20 but so slight I don't need glasses for it).
I've tried varifocal glasses and didn't like them, but I also hate either peering over my glasses the whole time, or taking them on and off constantly.
Does anyone wear varifocal contact lenses and can tell me how they are? I can't get my head around how they work!
Thank you
PS if you could tell me monthly costs and what type you wear too that would be great.
Hannah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Anne K
Imagineer

Anne K's Reviews
I do, and same as you only need reading glasses, distance is fine.

My multifocal lenses are great, I wear them all day long. However the vision is not quite as good as my glasses, very occasionally I struggle to read something really tiny.

Costs will depend on whether choose monthly or disposable lenses with disposable being the most expensive.

I started with monthly lenses, but decided to switch to daily disposable for the convenience. To buy a pack of 30 its around £22 i think. However, i pay £19 monthly which includes lenses and my check ups. Note that I wear only 1 lens- works for me, as your brain sorts out the images!

Edited at 12:50 PM.
Anne K is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Hannah
Apprentice Imagineer

Hannah's Reviews
Originally Posted by Anne K View Post
Note that I wear only 1 lens- works for me, as your brain sorts out the images!
Thank you so much! Why do you only wear one? X
Hannah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Midges17
Apprentice Imagineer

I wear them all day & couldn’t do without them! I’m £22 per month for Acuvue Oasys that price includes yearly check ups or any additional appointments I may need. I’m the opposite started wearing them for distance but now need for closer reading as well.
Old 29 Oct 20, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne K
Imagineer

Anne K's Reviews
Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
Thank you so much! Why do you only wear one? X
Because that's all I need to see properly. I did start off wearing 2 lenses (both eyes are same prescription) one day one fell out, and I discovered my vision was just as good with a single lens.

A colleague used to wear one lens for short-sightedness and one for longsightedness, his brain just sorted it out!

The best thing about them is not having to constantly put your reading glasses on, then off, then back on. They are brilliant

Edited at 12:53 PM.
Anne K is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

I don’t wear varifocal lenses but I do wear one lens for distance and one for reading. It just seems to work.
daisymae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 12:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Poppycat
Imagineer

Poppycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I wear daily lenses for distance and considered varifocals as I started to find I couldn't read things close up if I had them in.

They aren't too strong prescription wise so with my opticians advice I've gone for a slightly lower powered one than I need in one eye which allows me to read as well as drive safely - brain sorts it out.. I've also just left that one out if I'm not driving and it's still ok for TV and reading.
Poppycat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Bouncing Tigger
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Originally Posted by daisymae View Post
I don’t wear varifocal lenses but I do wear one lens for distance and one for reading. It just seems to work.
Me too, one contact lens for distance and one for close up and like others have said my brain works it out. I couldn’t get on with multi focal contacts, they were fine for distance but rubbish for close up

Quality Inn International Oct 97 & Sep 2002
Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando Nov 2006
Coco Key Hotel & Water Park Oct 2012
POR Oct 2017 30th anniversary trip
May 2019 POFQ
POFQ again 2022
The best of the best 2023
Bouncing Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List