Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Oct 20, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
I’m not a dog owner Sandra so tell me to mind my own business but on a very simplistic level my take is that the biggest problem is that the dog doesn’t know what the noise is all about.
(Of course the unexpected timing and the very loud nature of the noise doesn’t help ) so if I had a dog I would be doing one of two things

1) watching utube videos of fireworks - initially low volume

2) actually taking him /her to a bonfire / firework display at a fair distance so he /she understands a little bit what the noise actually is
Our dog trainer told us to do watch youtube fireworks to aclimatise dogs to the sudden noise, which we did. Our dog is strange though as he got all excited last year and was barking at them and trying to catch them! (Quite a few houses around us do them). He loved it!

Our trainer said about passing fear and anxiety on to dogs too, and not to fuss them when they get scared as it reinforces behaviour.

Edited at 08:11 PM.
Bootrip2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Waitrose has stopped selling them this year too.

I feel so bad for all animals affected (even the wildlife that you can’t habituate), but also many people with ptsd struggle too such as war veterans etc.

I do love fireworks and wish more people got the silent type. That way people get their displays but animals and other people affected are not in fear.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Great news and hopefully others will follow.
Problem seems to stem from small independent stores selling them weeks before. Where I am they have been going off for a couple of weeks now. Why not make it an offence to sell before November 1st if we have to have them
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 20, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I’m not a dog owner Sandra so tell me to mind my own business but on a very simplistic level my take is that the biggest problem is that the dog doesn’t know what the noise is all about.
(Of course the unexpected timing and the very loud nature of the noise doesn’t help ) so if I had a dog I would be doing one of two things

1) watching utube videos of fireworks - initially low volume

2) actually taking him /her to a bonfire / firework display at a fair distance so he /she understands a little bit what the noise actually is
Oh yes I played fireworks all day for her, quietly at first and then got louder and by the end she slept thro. At night they started for real and she freaked out So that didn’t work even tho I thought it had 🤷
Old 30 Oct 20, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
missy E
Imagineer

missy E's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Originally Posted by missy E View Post
If fireworks are to be sold to the general public they should be silent fireworks only.
That would be a good compromise, people have fun at home & animals don't get distressed.
Personally if I could I would ban them from shops altogether.

As a side note, I wonder what will happen to the budget for councils free displays including the huge London NYE display, They're not being used this year...where will it go?...
I suspect the budget has been spent 100s of times over this year , what with a pandemic going on

Removing the noise removes half the fun . It’s like watching the tele with no sound on
Just seen this

Harlow Council
Fireworks saving to help feed local families 🥕🍏🧀🥛
We are donating up to £10,000 from our fireworks budget to Harlow Foodbank to support and feed local families this half term, which includes children who are entitled to free school meals.
The funding will be used by Foodbank to prepare and deliver food parcels for local families.
We are along with many local businesses and organisations ensuring #NoChildGoesHungry
Old 30 Oct 20, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

Originally Posted by missy E View Post
As a side note, I wonder what will happen to the budget for councils free displays including the huge London NYE display, They're not being used this year...where will it go?...
Our council, Harlow, have donated £10,000 to the local food bank
Wazza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

Personally we always go to the local council display because it free and fireworks are silly expensive.
However, we’ve always had rabbits, some have been frightened of fireworks, some haven’t. But when we bought the rabbits we knew that the purchase and letting off of fireworks is legal in the UK so we see it as our responsibility to look after our pets as much as possible, rather than demand that fireworks be banned as lots of people enjoy them
Wazza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Personally we always go to the local council display because it free and fireworks are silly expensive.
However, we’ve always had rabbits, some have been frightened of fireworks, some haven’t. But when we bought the rabbits we knew that the purchase and letting off of fireworks is legal in the UK so we see it as our responsibility to look after our pets as much as possible, rather than demand that fireworks be banned as lots of people enjoy them
Don’t go making a habit of being rational 😀
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List