Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Feb 21, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Dog Home Sitters.

Here's hoping we go away this year. Our usual home sitter we don't find suitable any more, so I wondered if anyone has any companies they use that home sit dogs at home. The money is not a worry as I know it will be expensive, just want to be happy they are in their own home safe and sound.

Does anyone have any recommendations please. x
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 21, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Sorry I don’t know anyone I wanted to follow this.

Edited at 05:25 PM.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 21, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I used a website Trusted Housesitters in 2019 as was recommended on the Dibb. It cost a fee to register but the actual sit was free as the sitters use it as an opportunity to stay somewhere.
Our sitters were lovely and very experienced, we video called beforehand, they had lunch with us before we left and took copious notes. I suppose you do have to have a bit of trust here but the site has review of both sitters and the hosts. Our dog didn’t like to be left so he was taken on lots of days out, we had picture of him on a train, by the pub etc and it was obvious he and the couple had become quite fond of each other. They kept the house tidy and even fixed the shower whilst here and sent updates and pictures every few days.

We looked at the big house sitting companies and they seem to offer a comprehensive service but our quote was £1600 which was more than we wanted to pay.
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Hopefulholiday View Post
I used a website Trusted Housesitters in 2019 as was recommended on the Dibb. It cost a fee to register but the actual sit was free as the sitters use it as an opportunity to stay somewhere.
Our sitters were lovely and very experienced, we video called beforehand, they had lunch with us before we left and took copious notes. I suppose you do have to have a bit of trust here but the site has review of both sitters and the hosts. Our dog didn’t like to be left so he was taken on lots of days out, we had picture of him on a train, by the pub etc and it was obvious he and the couple had become quite fond of each other. They kept the house tidy and even fixed the shower whilst here and sent updates and pictures every few days.

We looked at the big house sitting companies and they seem to offer a comprehensive service but our quote was £1600 which was more than we wanted to pay.
Thank you so much for this. We have signed up and paid the money now waiting. Hope it works out. xx
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by Nicksgirl View Post
Thank you so much for this. We have signed up and paid the money now waiting. Hope it works out. xx
That’s good. Please post with how you get on
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
jemrock
Getting Excited

On the flip side my partner and I have been stalking the Trusted Housesitters site in the hope of being sitters in future! We've historically been the go to couple when friends go away to hold their keys / feed their pets but a lot have moved out of the city in recent years and we're feeling a bit of a lack of animal friends (we can't really have animals in our flat as no access to the outside and feel it would be a bit unfair to keep them cooped up in the small space).

It would be great to know what those of you who let your house out look for in sitters - we aren't planning on signing up until after we're jabbed but I was planning to emphasise (outside the obvious love of animals) the fact I've worked letting out second homes before so am very comfortable taking care of strange properties.

We're currently holding keys for half the neighbours (a lot of second homes in my development) who can't get back to the city during lockdown so we must come across as reasonably trustworthy in real life but slightly worried people will look for people a bit older (we're late 20s/early 30s) so any tips on what you find compelling when you look at profiles would be great!

Disney World Florida five times and counting!
jemrock is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

Following this thread also! I signed up for trusted house sitters last year when we were planning to go away this year (which obviously isn't happening now, but we are planning for next year). For me i was most interested in those couples who had the most positive reviews. Sorry Jemrock, I know that isn't very helpful for a couple just starting out but it just feels like such a leap of faith that it's reassuring when someone has tonnes of positive reviews!
TigerLily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
jemrock
Getting Excited

TigerLily no it's really helpful and pretty much what I expected to be honest! I have been incredibly nervous the couple of times I've let my flat out on AirBnB and can only imagine it's worse when you're leaving pets as well.

Out of curiosity would you find it in any way reassuring if the applicant could link to positive house management reviews or included that they are approved fosterers for a cat charity (had to submit x2 character witnesses and undergo a home inspection to be approved)? I suspect if it's not through the Trusted Housesitters site people will probably just think it's irrelevant but interested to check my assumptions before ruling it out.

Disney World Florida five times and counting!
jemrock is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Hiya x

I’m intrigued by this thread as I know Nicksgirl loves her dogs as much as I love mine. ❤️ I’ve been seriously thinking that I need to give up my holidays as I’m not convinced I will be able to find someone to love and look after my dog as much as we do now that sadly my mum has passed away.😢

In answer to your question Jemrock, if it was me I would be far more interested in how much the house sitter was going to look after and care for my dog, than my house.

Our dog gets separation anxiety and even sleeps on our bed. I wouldn’t want her to be left at all and I’d be very nervous about her being let off the lead anywhere incase she decided to go looking for us. I don’t know anything about this website other than having a quick nosey since seeing this thread, but I’d without a doubt be looking at someone who was wanting to do so to spend time with my dog, not as a base to go off exploring and leaving her behind. Whilst I would want to know my house was in good hands, the only precious thing that would be in my house, in my eyes, would be my dog, and that would be who I wanted to know would be loved and looked after well 👍
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Hopefulholiday View Post

That sounds lovely, I bet your dog didn't want you to come home 😂😂😂
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List