Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Mar 21, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Hi,
I have restored the removed posts.

Can I please ask that you do not report or send any more PM's asking for us to put this thread back on track.

We'll leave the thread to take its own course.

thank you

Edited at 07:32 AM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
Pjamas
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I have restored the removed posts.

Can I please ask that you do not report or send any more PM's asking for us to put this thread back on track.

We'll leave the thread to take its own course.

thank you
I’m proud of you

Edited at 07:32 AM.
Pjamas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Pjamas View Post
Getting back on track

Another thing men can do is accept that there may be some unconscious bias when curating female thoughts. No one enjoys self criticism, no one enjoys their ‘kind’ being criticised and accused of horrors - we need to move past that and consider how unaware males may be to this issue and learn without silencing the voices that make you uncomfortable
I don’t mean to purposely defend my kind but I do not agree with this comment, and I feel this could be said about anyone not just ‘males’ as you suggest.
Old 14 Mar 21, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Pjamas
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by miked1e View Post
I don’t mean to purposely defend my kind but I do not agree with this comment, and I feel this could be said about anyone not just ‘males’ as you suggest.
Oh absolutely - I found as a white person elements of BLM difficult as you are forced to face difficult truths - it is only males in this instance as this discussion is about male attackers specifically

Edited at 12:15 AM.
Pjamas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 21, 12:19 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Oh absolutely - I found as a white person elements of BLM difficult as you are forced to face difficult truths - it is only males in this instant as this discussion is about male attackers specifically
So as a white male (is 36 middle aged? ) with the events outside of COVID am I supposed to feel like a terrible, sexist, racist, privileged human being?

Is this the right way to portray people?

I understand that there is a lot of hate out there... but as someone who would not relate to any of the above (albeit many will see me as privileged because of my sex and colour), I personally am not sure what to make of a lot of the generalisation thrown my way because of other people’s actions.

Hope this makes sense, but understand that as a hard working white male, with a beautiful wife of almost 9 years a son and one on the way... I will respect and consider everyone’s thoughts / perceptions / opinions but also do not appreciate generalisations thrown to all males or all white people for example.

Edited at 12:23 AM.
miked1e is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 21, 12:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Pjamas
Apprentice Imagineer

So as a white male (is 36 middle aged? ) with the events outside of COVID am I supposed to feel like a terrible, sexist, racist, privileged human being?

I understand that there is a lot of hate out there... but as someone who would not relate to any of the above (albeit many will see me as privileged because of my sex and colour), I personally am not sure what to make of a lot of the generalisation thrown my way because of other people’s actions.

Hope this makes sense, but understand that as a hard working white male, with a beautiful wife of almost 9 years a son and one on the way... I will respect and consider everyone’s thoughts / perceptions / opinions but also do not appreciate generalisations thrown to all males or all white people for example.
I believe the thread is all about a generalisation - ALL men are perceived by some women as a threat late at night - I think we have established the reasons why over and over again - yes it is a generalisation absolutely correct. The fear and anxiety are immune to statistics and reassurances.

The OP wanted to explore that fear and ask for female perspectives on that issue - just to be clear. Yes it would be easier if attackers wore a sign but they don’t so we have this generalisation uncomfortable as it may be.

We moved past it’s not all men quite a few posts back and we moved beyond the simplistic reading of the issue too and we had reached some more nuanced discussions would hate to back track.
Old 14 Mar 21, 12:37 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

I’m not sure I’ve read any posts that are generalising that all men are a threat. We all appreciate that most men are good guys. I think the point trying to be made is that most women feel threatened/intimidated/vulnerable in certain situations, even when there is no malice meant by the vast majority of men. Being told by men that we shouldn’t feel that way as ‘most men aren’t attackers’ doesn’t make those feelings disappear, it just highlights that some men don’t understand what it feels like to be a woman. The shark analogy that’s been posted on here today is the most accurate way I’ve seen it explained.

I don’t like heights, I’m terrified if I’m walking close to the edge of a cliff/hill/mountain. I know I’m not likely to fall off but it doesn’t stop the racing heart and sweaty palms. Clumsy analogy I know, but fear of something is very real, no matter how unlikely.

Edited at 12:39 AM.
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 21, 12:57 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
I believe the thread is all about a generalisation - ALL men are perceived by some women as a threat late at night - I think we have established the reasons why over and over again - yes it is a generalisation absolutely correct. The fear and anxiety are immune to statistics and reassurances.

The OP wanted to explore that fear and ask for female perspectives on that issue - just to be clear. Yes it would be easier if attackers wore a sign but they don’t so we have this generalisation uncomfortable as it may be.

We moved past it’s not all men quite a few posts back and we moved beyond the simplistic reading of the issue too and we had reached some more nuanced discussions would hate to back track.
I can honestly say I have not read all 40 pages of the thread so not sure of the entire script...

As mentioned in a previous post, walking to the shop, I have learnt a few things and what to consider.

However, I expect maybe for another thread, I feel everyone can learn from each other... all people have anxieties, worries, fears etc.

Whilst I appreciate and understand the OP question and thread I also feel there is too much finger pointing and blaming where it is not warranted.

We all need to respect each other and learn from one another... as there is far too much hate and fear in this world...
Old 14 Mar 21, 01:05 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Originally Posted by JoJo88 View Post
I’m not sure I’ve read any posts that are generalising that all men are a threat. We all appreciate that most men are good guys. I think the point trying to be made is that most women feel threatened/intimidated/vulnerable in certain situations, even when there is no malice meant by the vast majority of men. Being told by men that we shouldn’t feel that way as ‘most men aren’t attackers’ doesn’t make those feelings disappear, it just highlights that some men don’t understand what it feels like to be a woman. The shark analogy that’s been posted on here today is the most accurate way I’ve seen it explained.

I don’t like heights, I’m terrified if I’m walking close to the edge of a cliff/hill/mountain. I know I’m not likely to fall off but it doesn’t stop the racing heart and sweaty palms. Clumsy analogy I know, but fear of something is very real, no matter how unlikely.
I will admit to not reading all of the pages before this, but just catching up and giving my brief view after a walk to the shops...

So also not aware of the shark analogy sorry.

Finally, maybe I also joined in at the wrong time as a lot of the posts were suggesting ‘men need to be aware’ , ‘’men are silencing the voices’... with a generalisation that men are a massive problem.

I understand that in relation to the OP and the recent terrible situation then this is the potential concern for some people.

Edited at 01:14 AM.
miked1e is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 21, 01:07 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Perhaps reading the whole thread might be enlightening.

I will admit to not reading all of the pages before this, but just catching up and giving my brief view after a Walt to the shops...

So also not aware of the shark analogy sorry.

Finally, maybe I also joined in at the wrong time as a lot of the posts were suggesting ‘men need to be aware’ , ‘’men are silencing the voices’... with a generalisation that men are the problem.

I understand that in relation to the OP and the recent terrible situation then this is the potential concern for some people.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List