Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Mar 21, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
wobblywibbly
Serious Dibber

I would add that the process sounds simple but is also dependant on the LEA and how they treat home educators, there is no requirement to teach to the national curriculum but you need to have some idea of how you will teach and what. The LEA can be a PITA and want excessive amounts of proof of what you are doing and how you will proceed. This can be time consuming. Portsmouth LEA has taken a dim view of home education and internal processes deem that any amount of evidence you provide to be insufficient and will then impose mandatory orders forcing your child back into a school (there is currently a Judicial review in process challenging this as it is against the governments rules and regulations how they are applying it).

Good luck if you do it is a liberating experience freeing yourself from time tables, school runs, bullying etc and allowing you to teach through other means. My son is home educated and is usually finished school just after lunch

Edited at 10:38 AM.
wobblywibbly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 21, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I live in France so different system but my 16yo goes to a virtual lycée - it is like a regular school except all the lessons are via zoom and all her books are online. She has class mates dotted all over the country. In her case it is because she rides so this enables her to continue her studies and ride 2-3h a day (difference ponies )

I don’t know if anything like this exists in the UK. She much prefers it because she didn’t particularly like going to school. I have access to her platform so I can check she is keeping up etc.

It works for her because of the riding aspect but she has to be very organized.
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 21, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by wobblywibbly View Post
I would add that the process sounds simple but is also dependant on the LEA and how they treat home educators, there is no requirement to teach to the national curriculum but you need to have some idea of how you will teach and what. The LEA can be a PITA and want excessive amounts of proof of what you are doing and how you will proceed. This can be time consuming. Portsmouth LEA has taken a dim view of home education and internal processes deem that any amount of evidence you provide to be insufficient and will then impose mandatory orders forcing your child back into a school (there is currently a Judicial review in process challenging this as it is against the governments rules and regulations how they are applying it).

Good luck if you do it is a liberating experience freeing yourself from time tables, school runs, bullying etc and allowing you to teach through other means. My son is home educated and is usually finished school just after lunch
That's a totally different experience to ours and the lea have been pretty supportive of our decision to home school once they realised they couldn't talk me out of it. I only had to give proof of maths & english at our latest review.

I opted to home school my youngest he has asd, the school were not supporting his needs and it was affecting his mental health. Its not a quick fix or an easy option in fact some days its hard work but for us it was the right decision. He's far calmer and happier.
We don't follow the curriculum as such though we do use bitesize for maths/english and to get an idea of what subjects they are studying. We do a lot of project based hands on learning which suits him better than the traditional sit at a desk and learn. There are loads of online resources available many of which are free or minimal cost.

Do your research - the school & lea will want proof that you have made an informed decision and that you have a plan on how you will home school what subjects you will cover and how you plan to do it. There is no financial help available so you will need to fund all and any supplies you need.
Also look at the bigger picture - depending on your child age is going back into school at a later date - moving to secondary school or taking exams something you may want to consider?
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 21, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
wobblywibbly
Serious Dibber

It really is down to the local LEA, funding can be available but you need to have special educational needs and then you will need to provide proof of having spent the money etc each term I believe.
wobblywibbly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 21, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

One of the frustrations with our (England's) home education system is that there is no consistency across LA's each area will do it differently and offer from no support to overbearing support and interference. Hence why the first port of call would be your area LA.

'We' at my LA very much embrace Elective Home Education (EHE) and have our own EHE forum for parents, CYP and schools to join and be connected, through this we encourage everyone in policy making, feedback, ideas and developments for EHE. It also helps us stay connected in a more informal way which hopefully encourages a good relationship between the LA and EHE parents and CYP.

Parents have a right to educate their children at home under the 1996 Education Act, but equally the LA has a duty under the same Act to identify children who are not receiving a suitable education. We also need to be assured from parents that schools have not ‘encouraged’ EHE for their own agenda e.g. off rolling pupils that they are finding difficult to manage in school

Nothing is perfect but generally the LA do not want to work against EHE but it does have to be recognised that LA still maintain their statutory duty of care to all CYP regardless of home or in school educated, and let’s be honest if the poop hits the fan the finger is always first and directed at the LA/Social care and what they did/didn’t do, so trying to get that balance is often very difficult if parents will not engage at all with their LA.

If your child has an EHC plan or has SEN there may be an opportunity for flexible learning, we have a flexible learning team and separate provision for CYP who for whatever reason are not engaging or struggling in a school and we can sometimes offer a flexible learning approach with blended education, again check what your local area has to offer, it might not just be school or home there could be an offer in between.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 21, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
wobblywibbly
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Chilli-pepper View Post
One of the frustrations with our (England's) home education system is that there is no consistency across LA's each area will do it differently and offer from no support to overbearing support and interference. Hence why the first port of call would be your area LA.

'We' at my LA very much embrace Elective Home Education (EHE) and have our own EHE forum for parents, CYP and schools to join and be connected, through this we encourage everyone in policy making, feedback, ideas and developments for EHE. It also helps us stay connected in a more informal way which hopefully encourages a good relationship between the LA and EHE parents and CYP.

Parents have a right to educate their children at home under the 1996 Education Act, but equally the LA has a duty under the same Act to identify children who are not receiving a suitable education. We also need to be assured from parents that schools have not ‘encouraged’ EHE for their own agenda e.g. off rolling pupils that they are finding difficult to manage in school

Nothing is perfect but generally the LA do not want to work against EHE but it does have to be recognised that LA still maintain their statutory duty of care to all CYP regardless of home or in school educated, and let’s be honest if the poop hits the fan the finger is always first and directed at the LA/Social care and what they did/didn’t do, so trying to get that balance is often very difficult if parents will not engage at all with their LA.

If your child has an EHC plan or has SEN there may be an opportunity for flexible learning, we have a flexible learning team and separate provision for CYP who for whatever reason are not engaging or struggling in a school and we can sometimes offer a flexible learning approach with blended education, again check what your local area has to offer, it might not just be school or home there could be an offer in between.
excellent advise. I know people who flexi-school. Their children attend school 3 days a week and are home educated the other 2. I am glad to hear your pragmatic approach on your area but this is not always the case and in some areas as I have stated the LEA can be very very anti-home-schooling. I know some people who have not engaged with the LEA as the level of interference can be difficult. removing a child form a school place will be noted by the LEA so there will likely be a need to engage anyway...
Old 24 Mar 21, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wobblywibbly View Post
excellent advise. I know people who flexi-school. Their children attend school 3 days a week and are home educated the other 2. I am glad to hear your pragmatic approach on your area but this is not always the case and in some areas as I have stated the LEA can be very very anti-home-schooling. I know some people who have not engaged with the LEA as the level of interference can be difficult. removing a child form a school place will be noted by the LEA so there will likely be a need to engage anyway...
I know, its very frustrating and disappointing to hear and read about other LA being difficult and obstructive towards EHE - basically our (unofficial) mantra on education is ''we don't mind where you do it, when you do it or how you do it, as long as its done.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 21, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Chilli-pepper View Post
I know, its very frustrating and disappointing to hear and read about other LA being difficult and obstructive towards EHE - basically our (unofficial) mantra on education is ''we don't mind where you do it, when you do it or how you do it, as long as its done.
If only all LEA's were as supportive - I was told point blank they would not allow flexi- schooling it as all or nothing with a view that school is best. Once I made it clear I had decided to home school they changed tact and were like we're here to help and support you though I never hear anything other than checking in once a year for a review and reminding me he can go back into the school system if I want him to which is fine by me but not all that supportive for parents who might want more input.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 21, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Trying to homeschool a secondary aged child I think is very hard. There is an on-line school called Interhigh that is very good.
I used to be a boys brigade officer and we had a large family who home schooled all the children, the primary she did herself via work books etc. but the secondary ones did Interhigh. I know the oldest got really good GcsE results
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 21, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Disney Dreaming View Post
At the moment she is refusing to go to school so i am between a rock and a hard place, i would rather her get some education than none.
I have no advice on full time, permanent homeschooling but whilst you are in the process of deciding is your daughters school providing you with work currently? Have they offered you and her a return to school plan?
My youngest is off with long term sick with no date to go back yet, so I am homeschooling for the foreseeable future. When he does return it will be a slow process, with a return to school plan not immediately sent to school full time. He will go in a couple of afternoons, then a couple of mornings, slowly building up his attendance.
Currently we following his classes maths and English lessons every day with a view of adding extra.
Along side this he reads, does lots of arts & crafts, puzzles.
But the set work from school is invaluable. He has an option of joining in via google class room so he can see the teacher while she explains the work to be completed to the rest of the class.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List