Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Mar 21, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
yes sounds very much like they were opted out of serps

Why would I have been contracted out?
Opting out of SERPS meant you’d pay lower or redirected National Insurance Contributions in exchange for what would hopefully be a higher private pension. It was therefore popular with employers, as it meant they had to pay less National Insurance.
there were many people that were opted out and never even knew about it as when you were opted out your employer paid less national insurance contributions on your behalf so the company saved money and you got less state pension
force ten is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 21, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

I wont get a full state pension (due yo start in November) as I was contracted out due to my work pension scheme. I dont lose a great deal think something like £10 per 4 weeks. My DH gets less than I will as he has his NHS pension.
Might be private pension affecting your parents.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 21, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Sounds like an interpretation of that they contracted out of SERPS and contributed to an occupational pension. But if they did this, then they will have saved in NI contributions and paid into that occupational pension. Many (including me) did this.
So they didn't lose out at all. They (or their company) just chose a different path and more than likely have done better overall when you combine both.
PS they may be able to buy some of these years of SP - which if they can is the best money they could spend.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 21, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

My DH was short on a couple of years NI contributions, a quick call and a nice young man sorted it for us, told us which years were the cheapest to buy (can vary by several hundred pounds) and about £150 got him an extra £10 a week for life... bargain! And just because you’ve been contracted out doesn’t necessarily mean you get less SP... I was contracted out for 14 years but because I had worked a lot of hours in a second job I actually got £15 a week extra SP... it can be complicated...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 21, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by MrsBC View Post
You are right. I get my state pension this year and will be getting the full amount despite having a reasonable NHS pension.
If at any time through the years they haven't paid full contributions they won't get the full state pension - if they make a Personal Tax Account online (google it, its the government one) they can see if they have any 'gaps' during their working life. It's very easy to do.
Quick question. I paid into a private pension and have full NI contributions but I am not entitled to a full government pension because of the private pension.

Have I missed something?
Old 27 Mar 21, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Thank you so much for your replies. Between all of your answers you have answered my question.

My Dad was opted out for a while, his is the one that isn't a full state pension. So I guess he's getting a bit confused about why he's getting less.

I was opted out for a while but I have been forecast to get a full state pension? Could this be because I have worked enough years in total and the opted out bit was minimal? I can't remember opting back in though but I am sure I have read this was done automatically?

Thanks again

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 21, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve read up on this now based on your thread, as I would be affected. However for every year I work after 2016 I claw some money back, and something I think I read last night said in eight years I’ll have replaced the missing amount and will be back onto full state pension expectations . Definitely April 2016 seems to be the big line in the sand in terms of pensions and serps. Seems to affect many public services pensions.

Thanks for heads up.
Covid cancelled Aug 2020!
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 21, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sophiepop View Post
Thank you so much for your replies. Between all of your answers you have answered my question.

My Dad was opted out for a while, his is the one that isn't a full state pension. So I guess he's getting a bit confused about why he's getting less.

I was opted out for a while but I have been forecast to get a full state pension? Could this be because I have worked enough years in total and the opted out bit was minimal? I can't remember opting back in though but I am sure I have read this was done automatically?

Thanks again
Those that opted out up until 5th April 2016 will have earned the basic SP at that time - assuming they had at least 30 years. That was £119 PW (plus inflation increases). This is when the new flat rate was introduced. At that point, additional pension could be earned on top of the old basic SP to get to the new flat rate. This would probably take until sometime in the tax year to 5th April 2024 (assuming they are young enough to work until then), and is exactly the position my OH is in.
If they cant work until that point, they cant achieve a new full SP.

If they contracted in at any point before 5th April 2016, then they will have earned more than the old basic SP. If they has been contracted in for enough years before 2016, they might have earned enough to get the new SP by this stage (the situation I am in myself as I was contracted in from 2009).

Unfortunately it is quite complex.

Edited at 01:11 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 21, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I was contracted out but at the time didn’t really grasp the significance of it, it was only when I checked my state pension forecast a few years ago that things became clear.

Anyone can Check their State Pension forecast at the link below, it will show if you are expected to get the full pension or if you need to pay-in National Insurance contributions in the coming years to raise the pension to full status.

gov.uk/check-state-pension

Edited at 12:47 PM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 21, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I was contracted out but at the time didn’t really grasp the significance of it, it was only when I checked my state pension forecast a few years ago that things became clear.

Anyone can Check their State Pension forecast at the link below, it will show if you are expected to get the full pension or if you need to pay-in National Insurance contributions in the coming years to raise the pension to full status.

gov.uk/check-state-pension
You can also purchase missed years in many cases.