Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 19 Apr 21, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Kellea
VIP Dibber

Some advice please.

Hi guys,

I’ve rented some points to a lady from America. She is due to go in 28 days. Contract stipulates no refunds and any changes to be done at least 60 days out.
She messaged me a couple of days ago saying she couldn’t go on that date and could I check a couple of dates she could go. I happily checked to see if I could modify but obviously with the dates being so close 7/5 or 13/5 there is no availability. I explained this and she asked me if she could try to sell the reservation. I’m a little bit hesitant about this as I was told to check fb etc to see if the people renting are legit etc.
I’ve explained to her that I’d need to speak to the people, if it was someone she knew as I’d want to send out contracts and deal with payment etc.
I’m happy to help if I can by trying to sell the reservation myself but I’m not sure whether it’s feasible. Distressed points won’t be as much and then it’s exchange rates etc.

Any advice would be greatly accepted. This is the first year I’ve rented out points.
I sold them for $12 a point as she was going in May and I sold them to her in Feb. They also expire May31. The reservation was 1 night okw, and only 11 points do not bank breaking. X

Thanks x

1993, 2008, 2011 OKW villas 17 nights ( thanks to Irene , 2013 3 nights Renaissance Seaworld, 3 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW and DxDDP, 2014 5 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW. 2015 15 nights Sheraton Vistana Villages. 2016 3 nights Sheraton New York Times Square, 3 nights HRH club level, 16 night AKL SV, 2 nights BLT. 2017 5 nights OKW, 5 nights BWV, 7 nights BLT, 4 nights HRH club. 2019 3 nights Renaissance (SW), 4 nights HRH CL, 7 nights BLT LV, 7 nights AKL SV

KELLEA
Kellea is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Sorry no advice but didn't want to "dump & run"! I know you say it's "only" 11 points but equally it's "only" $132 for the renter & it's the renter that has left you with no "wiggle room". At the end of the day you could agree to a refund if you can find a renter, refund 50% on points that can't be used or equally keep the 100%. I know that this isn't a win for the renter but if it was a holiday company there would be penalties for cancelling this close to the stay IYKWIM
Personally , if I couldn't rent them out, I'd probably go with the 50%, no-one wins or loses IYKWIM

SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Given they are expiring in May I’d say no but if they want to check on tools.dvcvacations/points-calculator which isn’t live, but updates once a day, if they let you know an alternative date and there is availability when you check on the official site you will happily change the reservation exposing that the points expire May and thus there is little room for re renting .
Old 19 Apr 21, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Kellea
VIP Dibber

Thanks guys, that’s what I thought.
I might see if I can sell the reservation myself and if I can I’ll refund her x

1993, 2008, 2011 OKW villas 17 nights ( thanks to Irene , 2013 3 nights Renaissance Seaworld, 3 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW and DxDDP, 2014 5 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW. 2015 15 nights Sheraton Vistana Villages. 2016 3 nights Sheraton New York Times Square, 3 nights HRH club level, 16 night AKL SV, 2 nights BLT. 2017 5 nights OKW, 5 nights BWV, 7 nights BLT, 4 nights HRH club. 2019 3 nights Renaissance (SW), 4 nights HRH CL, 7 nights BLT LV, 7 nights AKL SV

KELLEA
Kellea is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

Might be worth checking with member services to see if you can cancel the reservation and as they expire 31 May and you yourself can't fly into the States then can they bank those 11-points as an exception.

So similar to those members in the thread Extension on banked points. If banked points were extended then hopefully expiring April 2020 points might also be treated as an exception and extended. There's also other threads discussing international members who can't use their points due.

Some members reported that the castmember who they first spoke to didn't know about the extensions so read a few posts first but first give MS a call and try and do it at 2.00pm sharp and then read the posts, otherwise you might have a long-long wait.

Good luck

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...&postcount=139
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 21, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Kellea
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Br'er Bear View Post
Might be worth checking with member services to see if you can cancel the reservation and as they expire 31 May and you yourself can't fly into the States then can they bank those 11-points as an exception.

So similar to those members in the thread Extension on banked points. If banked points were extended then hopefully expiring April 2020 points might also be treated as an exception and extended. There's also other threads discussing international members who can't use their points due.

Some members reported that the castmember who they first spoke to didn't know about the extensions so read a few posts first but first give MS a call and try and do it at 2.00pm sharp and then read the posts, otherwise you might have a long-long wait.

Good luck

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...&postcount=139
Thanks, I will try this x

KELLEA
Old 22 Apr 21, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Hil
VIP Dibber

I had a similar situation last year, although without the added factor of points expiring, so it wasn't quite as tricky as your position.

Not sure if this would work for you, if your renter wants a new date rather than just cancelling, but I dealt with it like this:
I asked the renter if they could post on the FB group and find someone to take over the reservation. i.e. they would do the 'work' to find a new renter. They did this, found a new renter and arranged for payment between the two of them. I then switched the names etc on the reservation to the new renter. I didn't need to get involved with any refund / reselling, which managed to avoid the extra complication of exchange rates, etc.

Good luck with whichever way you manage to resolve this :-)

Edited at 12:24 PM.
Hil is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 21, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Kellea
VIP Dibber

this sounds like a great idea. I have managed to find a new renter. I was also wondering about them sending the cash to each other and how that would work. I suppose it saves on transaction and exchange fees.

How did you mange to change the names online? I cant seem to modify the lead name x

KELLEA
Old 25 Apr 21, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Kellea View Post
How did you mange to change the names online? I cant seem to modify the lead name x
You can only change the lead name on an online chat or call.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 21, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Kellea
VIP Dibber

Fantastic, thank you. I will try the chat tomorrow xxx

KELLEA