Notices

Old 10 Dec 20, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I will take your advice on that one as on that day, we simply intend seeing Hearst Castle, then moving on. Cookies sound good!

Is the swimming safe?
We visited Hearst Castle and on leaving the grounds to drive along the coast there is a beach. We saw a small crowd so stopped the car there. Turned out to be a whale giving a breaching display. It was fantastic and despite having been on a few whale watching trips this by far outshone anything we had ever seen. It was quite close to the shore also. Keep your eyes peeled!

Edited at 01:30 PM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 01:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Rigstig
Imagineer

With regards Pima Air and Space Museum and the "Boneyard Tour" at Davis Monthan Air Force Base. At the moment the tour is suspended indefinitely until further notice. The tour does not run at weekend and MUST be booked and permission given before you arrive, this involved giving personal details and passport numbers. The open sided tram tour is only in the Pima museum, the tour into the Airforce Base is on a fully enclosed bus. I have been to Pima twice in 2014 and 2019. The Museum itself is fantastic with a huge collection of military planes on display both inside and outside. What I loved was the fact nothing is cordoned off so you can get proper up close and personal. My favourites there were the 2 JFK/ Johnson Presidential planes , the SR71 Blackbird and a rather beautiful Boeing B17 bomber. Keep an eye on the Pima Air Space web site pimaair/ for updates on the AMARG tour as doing both the tour and the museum makes for a great day out.

Anaheim 2008

California, Arizona and Nevada road trips 2012,2014, 2019

Edited at 01:10 AM.
Rigstig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 01:24 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Your advice re Davis Monthan being shut on Sat and Sunday requires changes of plan!

We have been monitoring the situation at both Pima and Davis Monthan.
I am rather optimistic that in the event of the Nation and State opening up, then both of these will soon follow.
In the event that they do not, then the best I can hope for is a walk past both before continuing onwards to Tombstone etc. I guess that I have probably blown out on Davis Monthan given that I am in Tucson mainly on Saturday and Sunday.. damn.. unless I book the 1100 tour on the Monday, escape by 1300 and drive quickly to make Grand Canyon for Sunset..Might just make it!

I am now up to 11 x SR71 and A12 in various museums
Having seen an awful lot of B17s including going on board the one in the USAF hall at Duxford and seeing the Memphis Belle at Dayton, the one at Pima will be just another.
The B36 will take me up to 3 out of the remaking 4. I am looking forward to a good look at the century series aircraft, the Army Lynx and the Shackleton.
Really it is all about D Monthan and Pima is my means to hopefully access it.

Edited at 01:38 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Your advice re Davis Monthan being shut on Sat and Sunday requires changes of plan!

We have been monitoring the situation at both Pima and Davis Monthan.
I am rather optimistic that in the event of the Nation and State opening up, then both of these will soon follow.
In the event that they do not, then the best I can hope for is a walk past both before continuing onwards to Tombstone etc. I guess that I have probably blown out on Davis Monthan given that I am in Tucson mainly on Saturday and Sunday.. damn.. unless I book the 1100 tour on the Monday, escape by 1300 and drive quickly to make Grand Canyon for Sunset..Might just make it!

I am now up to 11 x SR71 and A12 in various museums
Having seen an awful lot of B17s including going on board the one in the USAF hall at Duxford and seeing the Memphis Belle at Dayton, the one at Pima will be just another.
The B36 will take me up to 3 out of the remaking 4. I am looking forward to a good look at the century series aircraft, the Army Lynx and the Shackleton.
Really it is all about D Monthan and Pima is my means to hopefully access it.
I’ll try and dig out some pics from my visit to DM.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Rigstig
Imagineer

The 11am tour sounds like a plan, the tour is roughly about an hour. I'd check the weekend thing but that was the situation for us in 2014 and 2019. Back in 2014 you could just walk in and book the tour but they changed it around 2018 and you have to apply for permission to enter the Air Force Base. I think the reason its closed at weekend is due to the fact the base and the museum are two totally different entities. When we got to the entrance of the base we all had to get off the bus and enter a holding area whilst the security went through the bus with a dog...all part of the fun. I was at Duxford back in September last year. The wifes brother was part of the ground crew for the Sally B B17 for many many years but in all those years the wife never got to go to see the plane. She was totally made up to eventually see the plane she had grown up with. Im hoping to go to Duxford again this year as I thoroughly enjoyed the place and the experience. The museums at Palm Springs and Mesa, Phoenix , are they both worth a visit? We are planning another trip to Pima April 2022 as part of another SoCal/ AZ/NV roadtrip. Will be in Palm Springs for the Aerial Tramway and in Phoenix hopefully for some baseball and stock car racing.

Anaheim 2008

Edited at 10:53 AM.
Rigstig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Rigstig
Imagineer

Im not sure if you have a place to stay in Tombstone, but may I recommend larianmotel/ .We have stayed here in 2019, spotlessly clean room and a wonderful host. They don't do food but just a short walk away is the OK Cafe that does a decent breakfast... Big Nosed Kates Saloon is great for evening dinner, can get busy and has a great atmosphere especially if its karaoke night. Can I just add to the above post that Pima A&SM is open at weekend, just not the AMARG tour.

Anaheim 2008

Edited at 11:47 AM.
Old 7 Mar 21, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Rigstig View Post
Im not sure if you have a place to stay in Tombstone, but may I recommend larianmotel/ .We have stayed here in 2019, spotlessly clean room and a wonderful host. They don't do food but just a short walk away is the OK Cafe that does a decent breakfast... Big Nosed Kates Saloon is great for evening dinner, can get busy and has a great atmosphere especially if its karaoke night. Can I just add to the above post that Pima A&SM is open at weekend, just not the AMARG tour.
We are doing Tombstone as a day trip, given that it is close to the Hotel, but thanks for the recommend.

This staying in Tucson now becomes even more important, given the new info that Amarc (DavisMonthan) is closed at weekends.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

CFB - here’s a few pics from DM

SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
CFB - here’s a few pics from DM

Thanks for those. We have had a debate and will try to get on the 1100 tour of DM on the Monday before heading straight off to Grand Canyon park. We will miss out on Winslow, but I feel sure that Glenn Frey and Jackson Brown will understand! We should make the South Rim for Dusk.

I cannot subject the family to a full day in Pima on either Sat or Sunday, so it will be morning only, then maybe a shopping mall in the afternoon.

once again, thank you for your early 'Heads up' . I would have only become aware when I tried to book!

Edited at 05:53 PM.
Old 7 Mar 21, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
LizzyBear
Imagineer

LizzyBear's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Following along. Yours are the sorts of holidays I want to do when our kids are a bit older so I will live vicariously through your reports in the meantime I did the drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles with an ex in 2008 and stopped at quite a few of the places you've mentioned, really loved Monterey and definitely want to return there. The aquarium there has ruined all others for me now though! The SF tour you have planned looks great, my dad has a VW camper which we used for most of our holidays when I was a kid so they're close to my heart.