Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Feb 21, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile Halls of residence/student accommodation

I don’t want to mess the current university thread so I hope its ok to start this thread. It will definitely be beneficial to me and hopefully for others too by gaining information, hints and tips regarding student accommodations/ halls of residence. If anyone has other questions, ask away and if anyone can give any advice it will be much appreciated 😁

I imagine most student accommodations are the same. I have so many questions, we haven’t been able to look at any rooms or buildings apart from pictures online.
It seems there are on average around 6 rooms that share one kitchen. In the communal kitchen, possible seating area and hallways, who cleans them?
Is there a vacuum cleaner, mop etc provided?
If they clean these communal areas themselves, what happens if someone is messy and unclean? Leaving dirty dishes, crumbs and mess etc
Do the kitchens have toasters, microwave & kettle?

Rooms
Does each room have a vacuum cleaner? Or would you buy a little one?
Can you have a travel kettle in your room?
Can you control the heating in your room?
Do the rooms have coat hangers?

I will probably think of a load more questions 🙈
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 21, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
My daughter lives in two of these sort of apartments.

Both had a cleaner for communal areas. But they didn’t do the dishes. If they aren’t done then that’s down to the flatmates. A common cause of disagreements.

Vacuum cleaner / mop was provided for the flat. We didn’t buy one.

No need for a travel kettle as there is a kitchen. Microwave. Toaster kettle would usually be provided. There’s not always a lot of cupboard and fridge space. Probably one cupboard each and half a shelf in the fridge.

Katie doesn’t think she could control the heating.

I think there were just a few random hangers. You really need your own.

What we found in Nottingham
Was Wilko was totally set up for students with everything you could need at the front of the shop. We moved her in and then headed to Wilko (with the rest of the students) and bought plastic drawers. Lamps. Baskets. Bathroom storage etc. Once we’d determined what she needed.

She lived in one flat with seating area in the kitchen and one with just a dining table.

Some sort of seating area (sofas) is much better. Otherwise there is no comfortable communal space so everyone retreats to bedrooms.

Edited at 05:15 PM.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 21, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
floridaaddict
Getting Excited

My two are at University of Birmingham and University of Sheffield, both did Y1 in halls.

Both universities take care of cleaning, but students are responsible for a level of cleanliness!
Everything was provided; mop, vacuum cleaner, iron, ironing board. Kettles in the rooms was not allowed.
Can’t remember about the heating but both rooms were warm and cosy.
DD - flat of 6 people, DS - flat of 10 people with 4 other flats on the floor in both halls.
No coat hangers - I bought the packs in Wilkos/pound shops and sent them both up with plenty. Was impressed with the storage space in both their rooms.

Having visited unis in Warwick, York, Exeter, Birmingham, Leicester and Sheffield, all the halls are very similar.
Most of the Uni websites have good 360 view of the rooms or similar.
Hope that helps xx

Edited at 05:18 PM.
floridaaddict is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 21, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Our experience the same as Bev and Floridaaddict. I worried about my son - would he have the right stuff etc. He was absolutely fine and he really didn’t care. They kept the kitchen in a reasonable-ish state but they had to sort that out between them, the appliances would get cleaned by uni cleaners but only if they were accessible ! The wardrobe and storage in the room was tiny but he had extra storage under the bed (you had to pull the mattress up to get to it so it wasn’t ideal).
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 21, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

My son is currently in halls at York. There is a vac etc in the cupboard for the flat to use (10 sharing a kitchen). They had to provide their own pans, plates etc. We bought our son his own washing up bowl so he can collect his own dishes on wash them whenever it suits but doesn't affect the others in the flat. They all get on and have signed for a house together next year!

Once you have a place at the university and accommodation assigned you will get a list of what to bring and what is provide in the kitchen etc.

I don't think you can have a travel kettle because of the smoke detectors. The kitchen has a kettle, toaster, microwave, fridge freezer, oven.

He can't control the heating.

You have to provide your own coat hangers.

Happy to answer any questions
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 21, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

The university I went to had extremely variable student accommodation. Undergrad rooms I've seen include rooms in an ancient centuries old building which were historic and large but with limited facilities, a really weird maze like building where every room seemed to have a different layout, tiny square-shaped rooms with really high ceilings, modern rooms with/without en suites, some rooms that were "sets" (living room + bedroom), rooms that were individual rooms in a large house (with each room being different!)...

There were housekeeping staff who would clean the common areas and kitchens and vacuum rooms. You were responsible for your own washing up, so it was always annoying when other people who shared the kitchen never washed up.

Most kitchens had a microwave, kettle, and fridge. Some did not have hobs or toasters due to those being a fire hazard for the buildings they were in. Ovens and freezers were fairly rare but not unheard of.

We were allowed kettles in our rooms so I always had one. Could control heating in our rooms (and charged accordingly for however much heating you used).

There were coat hangers in the rooms but I always brought my own!
Old 6 Feb 21, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you all so much!
Another few questions 🙈
Are there bins provided in the shared kitchen and are there bins in the individual rooms?
Are the bins emptied or do they empty them? Obviously their own from their room, but the kitchen one?
Laundry, I am guessing there are no washers in the kitchens so they must use a laundrette?
I can imagine bags of dirty clothes coming home on a regular basis 🤔
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 21, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi much the same with both our kids , now finished. There can be quite a difference of standard depending on age. Our son was at bath and in new acc , it was like a mini travel lodge room, first class with mood lighting, fully set up for wi fi, lots of sockets. Storage was limited but had usable space under the bed. Big kitchen , sitting area, big fridges with I think 2 shelves each and a couple of cupboards .
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 21, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

On site laudrettes - unfortunately my son has been unable to come home because of everything going on (they have to stay there or stay at home, no going back and forth) so has to sort it out himself.

When I was at uni we had to put the bin outside the door to be emptied but ds says he has to take it to an outside storage bin.
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 21, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by jdndt View Post
My son is currently in halls at York. There is a vac etc in the cupboard for the flat to use (10 sharing a kitchen). They had to provide their own pans, plates etc. We bought our son his own washing up bowl so he can collect his own dishes on wash them whenever it suits but doesn't affect the others in the flat. They all get on and have signed for a house together next year!

Once you have a place at the university and accommodation assigned you will get a list of what to bring and what is provide in the kitchen etc.

I don't think you can have a travel kettle because of the smoke detectors. The kitchen has a kettle, toaster, microwave, fridge freezer, oven.

He can't control the heating.

You have to provide your own coat hangers.

Happy to answer any questions
Some good info re York, I was thinking of kettles in rooms, but it sounds like it’s not allowed.

My daughter is looking at York, her first choice of accommodation is Alcuin at Campus West. Would you be able to ask your son how long it takes to get from Alcuin (campus west) to campus east. The law school is on Campus East, but she prefers the accommodation on Campus West

Thanks for any help
kathrynmc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List