Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Apr 21, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Daisy-Mai
Excited about Disney

Daisy-Mai's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Question Taking a drone to Florida

Hi
Has anyone ever taken a drone to Florida with them. We have a DJI mine 2. My DH is fully liscenesed with CAA, in this country and drone is registered. He would love to take his dron with him and knows not to fly it in built up areas.
So I thought I'd ask if anyone else has done this and if so were there any issues. I guess he would take it in his carry on luggage ( its really small anyway). TIA
Old 18 Apr 21, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Diznut4eva
Earning More Ears

I’m pretty heavy but if you think it’ll get me there, then I’m in 👍👍
Diznut4eva is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Daisy-Mai View Post
Hi
Has anyone ever taken a drone to Florida with them. We have a DJI mine 2. My DH is fully liscenesed with CAA, in this country and drone is registered. He would love to take his dron with him and knows not to fly it in built up areas.
So I thought I'd ask if anyone else has done this and if so were there any issues. I guess he would take it in his carry on luggage ( its really small anyway). TIA
Might be worth a quick look at this thread as it relates to using one in Florida rather than the carrying of one.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...ighlight=drone
DisneyCupcake is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
rjhsteel
Very Serious Dibber

I'm taking mine (Also have a Mini 2). Sounds like you can't use it around disney, but gonna use it for the Villa, Clearwater etc...
Holiday Inn Resort Orlando Lake Buena Vista 2023
LA Disneyland 2023
rjhsteel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Not sure about taking one, bit DH has bought a few over there, been no problems with them in luggage, although they did check those cases as had the slip inside to say case had been examined. DH didnt use them over there though as wasnt sure on laws etc.
Old 18 Apr 21, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I’d be very careful using it round the villa I know our HOA don’t allow it and Haines City
Ordinance is also strict on there use
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
rjhsteel
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Daisy-Mai View Post
Hi
To fly a drone as a hobbyist in the state of Florida (i.e. for fun / pleasure) you are required to follow the FAA’s recreational model aircraft rules. One of those rules is that if your drone weighs more than 0.55 lbs (250g), you’ll need to pay $5 to get it registered over here. And there are additional rules when it comes to airspace and altitude, keeping your drone within line-of-sight while you’re flying, and more.

(Mini 2 is under 250g so you will not have to register)
LA Disneyland 2023

Edited at 07:28 PM.
rjhsteel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 21, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
rjhsteel
Very Serious Dibber

This map is good for showing the zones Prohibited for flying...

dronesafetymap/#loc=...-81.3946969,11
LA Disneyland 2023
Old 19 Apr 21, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

You may want to checkout the Florida laws on flying drones over residential areas in Orlando. It would appear that it is illegal to fly them over private property where people have an expectation of privacy.
Old 19 Apr 21, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
In terms of taking a drone with you on the flight, the only real restriction on the airplane tends to be related to the batteries. Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries must always be taken in your hand luggage, and it's probably a good idea to take your drone with you as hand luggage as well - just make sure it fits the airline's hand luggage size. If the batteries are less than 100-watt-hours (Wh) then you should be fine. If the batteries are between 100 and 160 watt hours then many airlines will restrict the number you can take (often no more than 2). Batteries above 160 watt hours are generally not allowed on board.

Looking at the standard specs of the DJI Mini 2, the batteries look to be only around 20 watt hours, so you should be fine. And the size of the drone itself should easily fit in your hand luggage.

Otherwise, the drone is treated like any other electrical item you take onboard. Note that it must remain powered off during the flight.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List