Notices

Old 2 Dec 14, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Boardwalk on my dad

Let me introduce the cast before I explain the title. There are five of us (Me, Chris, 45 year old going on 7 when it comes to the wonder of Disney and certainly the most excited member of the family, Caroline My lovely wife, who is a secret Disney fan, she certainly dibbs more than me, who puts up with her overly excited husband! and our three boys Oli (12), Dan (14) and Jonny (16), all of whom are looking forward to going, but for different reasons!)

About 2 years ago my dad passed away on Independence Day, and I decided that the best way to remember him (after having paid off the mortgage, Caroline insisting I did something sensible first!) was to buy into DVC. My dad and mum (who I died 13 years ago) both loved holidays and as a young boy I looked forward to our month long holidays in France with my parents. As a historian my dad loved to visit ancient sites and would tell us stories about the people who inhabited the region. So after lots of conversations with various people, numerous phones to Disney I purchased some points resale and some points direct from DVC.

I then went about booking my first holiday. November 2013 we used our bonus 2012 points to head to Finland in April for some SNOW at Easter and in January, I started to plan for our Christmas break.
First flights were booked on the 19th (and then I realised that my son's school did not share the same Christmas Holiday dates as my one!, so a letter went to his head informing him that we were going to take Oli out of school for the last day of the Autumn term)
On the 19th Jan, at our 11 month window, we booked 14 nights at Boardwalk. As it was going to be 'the holiday on my dad' I decided to rent a 2 bed boardwalk view villa. Standing on our balcony overlooking Crescent lake raising a glass to my dad seemed a good way to spend the holiday.
In April, at our 7 month window, I suddenly thought, Animal Kingdom lodge would be a good place to start our holiday, so I exchanged the first two nts for a 2 bed savannah view at Kidani Village.Standing on our balcony overlooking savannah filled with the odd zebra and giraffe raising a glass to my dad seemed a good way to start the holiday. I am sure my dad would have approved!
At 180 days out we booked all the restaurants we wanted to eat out. Old favourites (Chef Mickey, Boma, Saana and Garden Grill) were incorporated with new restaurants we had never visited (Be Our guest, Yak and Yeti, Liberty Tree Tavern and the Sci Fi diner) and suddenly I realised that I needed to diet so that I could put on eat the glorious food, put on some weight and not drop over 15 stone. (160 days later and I have lost a stone and half by just cutting out eating between meals)
And then 60 days came and went and online checkin was done, fast passes were booked, changed and rearranged. Memory Maker was purchased and last night (18 days to go) we purchased the Dining Plan, having finally worked out that this would suit us.

So 18 days to go, I have a countdown on Facebook, my students know I am heading off to WDW (They are so jealous! ) and the teacher I share an office with has banned me from telling her anything else about the holiday until we return!

I am so excited and there is only 18 days and counting till we leave

'Thanks Dad'
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 14, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post

Lovely. Enjoy.
Old 2 Dec 14, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Sounds wonderful. Have a lovely time

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 14, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Sounds amazing, I'm sure your dad would approve. Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 14, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sounds great your dad would definately approve of your holiday
Old 2 Dec 14, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
pandanne
Imagineer

Sounds great, and I'm sure you're dad will be with you all the way. Have a lovely holiday. xx
Old 2 Dec 14, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks all.
I have just realised the countdown is 16 days not 18.
Holiday is even closer.
Just hoping we all
Avoid the flu bug going round schools in North Bucks!
Old 3 Dec 14, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Mobile

Sounds fantastic - enjoy every minute. Be careful that flu bug is so strong it's already spread to South Wales too!
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 14, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post

I am just standing miles away from my students !