Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Sep 18, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
We should reverse this and get the American Dibbers to post what they find funny about us

I'm going for a fag

I'm talking the baby for a walk in the pram

Maths

Chips

Beefburgers

Bum Bags

Ok, challenge accepted Mr. Tom Morrow! I am an American Dibber, and I have been reading this thread and having some good chuckles over it. I am guilty of using some of the phrase and words that have been mentioned. I do say "errb" instead of "herb"...that is very much a regional thing in the US. I grew up in California and most people here say "errb". But I do say caramel instead of "carmel" (another regional thing), so hopefully that wins me a few points back

Here are some things my British friends have said to me over the years that I have found amusing, and in some cases confusing...

"Are you ok?" or "You alright?" when greeting someone. I'm never sure if I am supposed to just say "I'm fine", or if I am supposed to give a more detailed answer- because in the US we usually ask those questions if we think something is wrong. I'm guessing it's used in the UK in the same manner that we say "How are you?", just as a general nicety when you greet someone.

"What are you like" This one always confuses me! The first couple of times I heard that, I thought I was either being asked what types of things I enjoyed, or to give a description of myself I think I responded with "What do I like? I like a lot of things" and my friend doubled over laughing at my reply. So, obviously I got it wrong but I am still not sure what it means.

Going out for a fag...I know what it means now, but the first few times I heard that it was a bit shocking Much different meaning here, as you all know!

I can't think of much else though. I have made so many wonderful British friends over the years and I have come to understand quite a few of the phrases. They seem to have a harder time understanding the things I say! I actually used the words "fanny pack" when I was at a pub with a table of people and all of them were on the floor laughing, to my bewilderment. They had to explain it to me and I was SO embarrassed!

Now, if you will all excuse me...I have been drinking a lot of water today and need to go potty!

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 18, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Calling trousers “pants”and pants “shorts”. Also calling a handbag a purse.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 18, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Villainlover
VIP Dibber

Villainlover's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by bonnies mum View Post
I call trousers pants lol had my south western family telling me that it might be a bit chilly if I just wore my black pants and a top

Buenaventura Lakes 1993
Indian Ridge 1995/6/7 Oak Island Harbour 1998 Indian Point 1999 Eagle ridge 2000 Crescent lakes 2001 Indian Ridge Oaks 2003 Highlands Reserve 2004/5
Hampton Inn Convention centre 2007
Hampton lakes 2008 Highlands reserve 2009
Highlands Reserve 2010/11/12/13/14/15
Villainlover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 02:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

I accept most of these as the American way and they don't bother me, but I agree about "I could care less". It means the opposite of what they intend and they don't seem to have noticed!

Mind you we have plenty of quirks in our own language.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 06:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
The Irish thing mentioned winds me up no end. Yep you've never set foot in the country and only have like 5% Irish blood but you go around claiming you're Irish and saying things like 'don't mess with an Irish family'. Grrr.

But the one thing I noticed a lot when we go is everything is 'right there'
Where's my soda? It's right there.
You see that man right there?
Take that can right there and put it in the trash right there
We were chatting to a couple in the hotel a few years ago they asked where we were from so told them Wales, she then said her grandmother was Welsh and grandfather Irish.
Later that evening we went in the bar and they were there they'd had a few drinks and she was telling the barman she was half Irish after a few more she was 100% Irish and had spent half her life there.
Old 16 Sep 18, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
suesmum
Apprentice Imagineer

suesmum's Reviews
Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
Al-loooo-minum
Yes! When I first heard that, I was not sure what they meant, I assumed aluminium but felt I needed to check as the context in which it was said, did not make it obvious. I asked, is that the same as our "aluminium" (over pronouncing it). The reply was ... No I mean Al-looo-minum
suesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
suesmum
Apprentice Imagineer

suesmum's Reviews
Originally Posted by bonnies mum View Post
So agree, got very confused when I first heard those terms, especially pants in the context it was being used!

So if handbags are purses ... what are purses called ?
suesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore rocks
VIP Dibber

Eeyore rocks's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by suesmum View Post
So agree, got very confused when I first heard those terms, especially pants in the context it was being used!

I think purses are called wallets? 🤔

Orlando..Feb 1998, Jun 2003, Nov 2004, Dec 2008, Nov 2009, Aug 2010, Nov 2010, Sep 2011, Nov 2012, Nov 2013, Oct 2014, Sept 2015, Nov 2015, Sept 16, Jan 2017, Nov 2017, Jan 2018, June 2018, Dec 2018, June 2019, Dec 2019, Feb 2022, May 2023, Oct 2024.

Las Vegas..Dec 1998, Jan 2002, Jan 2004, Jan 2005, May 2006, Mar 2009, Apr 2011, Jan 2012, Aug 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2014, Feb 2015 Feb 2016, Nov 2016.

New York...Nov 2018, Dec 2021.
Eeyore rocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
Ok, challenge accepted Mr. Tom Morrow! I am an American Dibber, and I have been reading this thread and having some good chuckles over it. I am guilty of using some of the phrase and words that have been mentioned. I do say "errb" instead of "herb"...that is very much a regional thing in the US. I grew up in California and most people here say "errb". But I do say caramel instead of "carmel" (another regional thing), so hopefully that wins me a few points back

Here are some things my British friends have said to me over the years that I have found amusing, and in some cases confusing...

"Are you ok?" or "You alright?" when greeting someone. I'm never sure if I am supposed to just say "I'm fine", or if I am supposed to give a more detailed answer- because in the US we usually ask those questions if we think something is wrong. I'm guessing it's used in the UK in the same manner that we say "How are you?", just as a general nicety when you greet someone.

"What are you like" This one always confuses me! The first couple of times I heard that, I thought I was either being asked what types of things I enjoyed, or to give a description of myself I think I responded with "What do I like? I like a lot of things" and my friend doubled over laughing at my reply. So, obviously I got it wrong but I am still not sure what it means.

Going out for a fag...I know what it means now, but the first few times I heard that it was a bit shocking Much different meaning here, as you all know!

I can't think of much else though. I have made so many wonderful British friends over the years and I have come to understand quite a few of the phrases. They seem to have a harder time understanding the things I say! I actually used the words "fanny pack" when I was at a pub with a table of people and all of them were on the floor laughing, to my bewilderment. They had to explain it to me and I was SO embarrassed!

Now, if you will all excuse me...I have been drinking a lot of water today and need to go potty!

Yes I would say that if you are greeted by “Are you alright?” Or “Are you ok?” that it is a nicety and nobody is really expecting a detailed run through. The exception might be if you are visibly upset or trip up at the precise moment you meet someone.

“What are you like” is a rhetorical question. If you hear it a lot, then you are possibly an unusual individual, prone to doing things differently, have a unique style or maybe there is something you are always doing like forgetting your keys, turning up late etc. It could be said in either fondness or exasperation, you would have to judge from the tone in which it is said.

On a separate note, I say quite a few things that have been mentioned on this thread, didn’t realise some of them were Americanisms.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by suesmum View Post

My cousins are American and they call purses ,pocket books . don't know why
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List