Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Mar 20, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

Swine Flu

So my memory is pants and all I remember about the Swine flu is that I was pregnant but literally can’t remember the same sort of panic that is happening now and yet hundreds of thousands of people died.

Was there the same sort of panic?
I’m anxiety is getting worse and I’m trying desperately to have rational thoughts especially so close to our trip

Thanks for listening as my husband has banned all Covid 19 talk in the house
Old 2 Mar 20, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
hilz22
Imagineer

Quick google search says 203,000 people died.
I do find the whole thing concerning, i think there is something they aren’t telling us

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do' -just saying
hilz22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 20, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkermom View Post
So my memory is pants and all I remember about the Swine flu is that I was pregnant but literally can’t remember the same sort of panic that is happening now and yet hundreds of thousands of people died.

I’m anxiety is getting worse and I’m trying desperately to have rational thoughts especially so close to our trip

I remember it being a big thing at the time.

I was unfortunate enough to get it, I’ve never been as ill as that in my life. Dd was 6 weeks old and I felt like I was dying so that’s why it sticks well in my memory.

I feel like this seems a bigger deal in the media though but is that because social media has moved on so much in the last ten years?
Bellasmummy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 20, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

I assume the highly contagious nature and the fact that you can be contagious before you have symptoms is why there is so much concern over this Corona virus.
Previous viruses were not as easily spread as it was clearer is someone had it.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 20, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
I remember it being a big thing at the time.

I was unfortunate enough to get it, I’ve never been as ill as that in my life. Dd was 6 weeks old and I felt like I was dying so that’s why it sticks well in my memory.

I feel like this seems a bigger deal in the media though but is that because social media has moved on so much in the last ten years?
Oh gosh that must have been difficult, though on a very positive note you lived to tell the tale

Can you tell I’m desperately looking for the positives
Old 2 Mar 20, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

I caught the Swine flu, off work for 6 weeks due to secondary complications -I have asthma and a stupid doctor who refused a second lot of antibiotics for the chest infection that developed despite it being in my notes that I needed them. Told me I was a silly girl and he knew best hence an official complaint being made. I was hospitalised with broken ribs and torn muscles from the infections and cough then told on Christmas eve I was to be given my last lost of super strong antibiotics before being admitted for intravenous ones (didn't want to admit me because it was Christmas) and they finally started to work. I also passed it on to my 3yr old at the time, eldest and hubby didn't get a sniffle. I felt so guilty. I am worried about it in a way but not to a huge extent. We are following precautions (daughters school students have been tested due to a recent ski trip and all negative) and hoping it becomes under control and we are lucky.
The media and social media is playing a part in the hype, one of our local papers confirmed a positive test result in my daughters school and it was untrue. They admitted it was told to them but the parent of the child involved even said in the paper they were under going test for it and nothing else.

Edited at 06:48 PM.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 20, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkermom View Post

I agree, I remember it well as I worked in HR at the time and we had to record any staff that were off ill with it so we could report it, but I also don’t recall anywhere near the fuss that there is about the CoronaVirus x
Loulou127 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 20, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mobile

Whilst for the majority the coronavirus is 'mild' (apparently for some they've virtually no symptoms) for a small percentage (in comparison to the majority) it's not so good but the problem is it's highly contagious and once it takes a grip it spreads like wildfire, and obviously none of us have immunity.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 20, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by DiszeeBelle View Post
I caught the Swine flu, off work for 6 weeks due to secondary complications -I have asthma and a stupid doctor who refused a second lot of antibiotics for the chest infection that developed despite it being in my notes that I needed them. Told me I was a silly girl and he knew best hence an official complaint being made. I was hospitalised with broken ribs and torn muscles from the infections and cough then told on Christmas eve I was to be given my last lost of super strong antibiotics before being admitted for intravenous ones (didn't want to admit me because it was Christmas) and they finally started to work. I also passed it on to my 3yr old at the time, eldest and hubby didn't get a sniffle. I felt so guilty. I am worried about it in a way but not to a huge extent. We are following precautions (daughters school students have been tested due to a recent ski trip and all negative) and hoping it becomes under control and we are lucky.
The media and social media is playing a part in the hype, one of our local papers confirmed a positive test result in my daughters school and it was untrue. They admitted it was told to them but the parent of the child involved even said in the paper they were under going test for it and nothing else.

Gosh that sounds awful, I’m really hoping it’s more media hype than actual risk. I have two children with special needs so getting incredibly worried about it all as they will struggle if they get it and equally it will be incredibly difficult for them should either my husband or myself get it too.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Old 2 Mar 20, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

I had swine flu and so did my youngest who was a few months old at the time. He got it first and we didn't even realise until I got it (bad parents thought he was just cranky baby!).

From my memory it was a bit of a big thing: I'm sure our parent and toddler group closed a couple of times and I remember there being hand sanitiser everywhere we went! I think the main difference is that in 2009 no one had smart phone or tablet (I think) and so we weren't as 'plugged in' to social media and the news the way we are now... Just my opinion.
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List