Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 12 Aug 21, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
teallach
Very Serious Dibber

So where now?

With the impending cancellation of our florida trip next month, we’re looking for somewhere else to go instead. Top of the list would probably be a sandals property in the Caribbean but availability is quite poor😬
So, two adults who like to get about and do things as opposed to sitting on a beach all day. Enjoy a cocktail or two and people watch. Perfect day would usually be universal for a couple of hours, have lunch, go shopping at premium outlets, drink at bahama breeze, back to universal, have dinner, sit at lone palm.
Ideas please! It’s hard enough to think of somewhere different to Orlando as it is but with this flipping traffic light system in addition to each countries rules, it’s a nightmare!
teallach is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 21, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

You might like Mauritius. I’ve just had a look and I think you can go if vaccinated and take a PCR within 72 hours of travel. I think they’re on our amber list.

We went just before the first lockdown in 2020 and it was fab. The area of Belle Mare has lovely hotels and one of the best beaches on the island. The hotels have free boat trips out to the reef to snorkel twice a day (not sure all the hotels are the same but that’s what ours did and we always saw other boats there presumably from the other hotels). There’s really reasonably priced trips to do - we swam with wild dolphins, visited two other islands, went to the capital city etc. It was all much cheaper than most places in the Caribbean although it would be worth checking how covid has affected that side of things.

I would have also recommended playacar in Mexico as it has lovely hotels, a lovely town outside and the ferry to Cozumel, but I don’t think we can go there right now!
orlandoamber is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 21, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I can’t help you, but I sympathise. I am desperate for a break but have no idea where I want to go which is open to brits. I’m too accessible if I “holiday” at home, everyone at work seems to think “oh Kates only at home, she won’t mind if I call”. Hoping we can get rid of these lists some time soon!
Old 12 Aug 21, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
teallach
Very Serious Dibber

Funnily enough, one of my husbands stipulations for a destination is that it’s got to have enough of a time difference that I don’t feel I need to reply to customers straight away😂
Mauritius does look fab but I checked and it’s probably a bit too far. 12 hours from London and we’d have to get down there😱
teallach is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 21, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindsk
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I’m looking for alternatives as well as things aren’t looking great for our Orlando holiday in November, and we are looking for similar things. I spent this afternoon looking at the Bahamas as Virgin have just opened bookings for there but we like to self cater and get out of the hotel. I’ve looked at Barbados as we’ve been before and loved it. Felt safe walking everywhere, lots to see, but the flights are pretty steep for our dates.
I agree Mauritius is lovely, we honeymooned there years ago.
I hope you find something that you’ll love (and I’ll follow this post for inspiration)
Lindsk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 21, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
teallach
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Lindsk View Post
I’m looking for alternatives as well as things aren’t looking great for our Orlando holiday in November, and we are looking for similar things. I spent this afternoon looking at the Bahamas as Virgin have just opened bookings for there but we like to self cater and get out of the hotel. I’ve looked at Barbados as we’ve been before and loved it. Felt safe walking everywhere, lots to see, but the flights are pretty steep for our dates.
I agree Mauritius is lovely, we honeymooned there years ago.
I hope you find something that you’ll love (and I’ll follow this post for inspiration)
If it wasn’t for the whole quarantining in your room for 5 days (if in close contact with a positive case,) I’d def go for Barbados! Getting out and about and feeling safe is a major deal for us. I’d def recommend bahamas for that reason too. You can jump on the local buses and head into town. Sandals bahamas is closed until next year otherwise it would be top of the list.
Old 12 Aug 21, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
jim jehosofat
Imagineer

Mauritius may be on the amber list, but until 30 September if you do go there you will be confined to your hotel for the first 14 days of your stay. Details here gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
jim jehosofat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 21, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindsk

Originally Posted by teallach View Post
If it wasn’t for the whole quarantining in your room for 5 days (if in close contact with a positive case,) I’d def go for Barbados! Getting out and about and feeling safe is a major deal for us. I’d def recommend bahamas for that reason too. You can jump on the local buses and head into town. Sandals bahamas is closed until next year otherwise it would be top of the list.
Thanks for the recommendation for Sandals, I’ll look into it for next year.
Lindsk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 21, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindsk

Originally Posted by teallach View Post
Have you been to St Lucia? I’m just looking at BA holidays as Virgin don’t fly there at the moment.
I’d love to get people’s thoughts, especially if you can get out and about. The first hotel I saw (with good gym which is important to me, I know, yawn) was the Landings resort pigeon island….
Old 12 Aug 21, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
teallach
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Lindsk View Post
Have you been to St Lucia? I’m just looking at BA holidays as Virgin don’t fly there at the moment.
I’d love to get people’s thoughts, especially if you can get out and about. The first hotel I saw (with good gym which is important to me, I know, yawn) was the Landings resort pigeon island….
Yes, twice😁 First time was our honeymoon, both were sandals properties. The only reason I haven’t looked into it so far, is that the drive puts me off. The roads are worse condition than ours just now and it’s about 1.5 hours to Castries! Obviously, there are other resorts closer than that….including the hotel chocolat😉
Edited to add that you can go into the town and it’s generally safe enough around the port area but it’s not the same feeling as the bahamas.

Edited at 10:30 PM.