Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Oct 20, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekytink
VIP Dibber

cheekytink's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Aulani booking

We are planning 4 nights in Aulani in July next year, and I'm struggling to decide how to book.
We could book directly with Disney,
We could book using the US travel agent that we have used for a few things, who would be able to apply any new discounts to our booking as they appear
We could rent DVC points.

Am I being a bit over-cautious by not necessarily wanting to rent DVC points, just in case... ? I guess I am concerned that we are flying literally half-way around the world and the only thing we have as guarantee or comeback is the good will of the renter? I'm also aware that most renters don't offer refunds if we have to cancel.

The cost difference is huge - I mean, a LOT. MUCH cheaper to rent DVC points, but is it worth the risk due to the COVID issues and the possibility of cancellation...?

Been to DLP 40+ times?
Yes... Yes I have.

DLP: 92,93,94 (twice), 95, 96, 98, 99, 00 (twice), 01,02,03, 05, 06 (twice) 07, 09, 10 (twice), 11, 12, 14, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 (twice) 19 (x 4!), 2022 x2 .

WDW 94,96, 99, 10,11, 13, 14,15,17,18,19, 22 x2, 23 x4 and 24 booked x3 (so far!)
Solo visitor lover and DCL 2023 on the Disney Wish
DL 93
cheekytink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 20, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

Tough question, and I don't think there is a nailed on answer. Too many unknowns at this stage.

Personally I'd use a broker and rent DVC points, but also make sure that your travel insurance will cover cancellation.

Another option is to book the accommodation using the cheapest free to cancel option available, so you at least have something to work around. Then see if renting DVC points seems a safer proposition March/April next year, cancelling the existing booking if it is safer and cheaper.
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 20, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I think being cautious is very wise. Aulani availability in normal times is wide open, and easy to get a room usually. There will be lots of points floating around next year so it MAY be less easy, or people may still be reluctant to travel? I am not sure if they finalised Japanese residents being allowed into Hawaii (that was the plan) and worth bearing in mind as a reasonable number of Aulani owners are Japanese. That could give a hint about availability,

I know these are not at all normal times but we’ve always been able to get a room, a decent choice of room types actually, even as close as two or three months before we arrived. Probably less easy in July though. Did you want me to have a look now for you to give you an idea of what’s still available now?
Old 7 Oct 20, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekytink
VIP Dibber

cheekytink's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I think being cautious is very wise. Aulani availability in normal times is wide open, and easy to get a room usually. There will be lots of points floating around next year so it MAY be less easy, or people may still be reluctant to travel? I am not sure if they finalised Japanese residents being allowed into Hawaii (that was the plan) and worth bearing in mind as a reasonable number of Aulani owners are Japanese. That could give a hint about availability,

I know these are not at all normal times but we’ve always been able to get a room, a decent choice of room types actually, even as close as two or three months before we arrived. Probably less easy in July though. Did you want me to have a look now for you to give you an idea of what’s still available now?
Thank you Karen- I suppose my anxiety is around the cancellation terms- with booking directly we can cancel up to 7 days before check in, and receive a full refund. Whereas with renting points, I would pay in full and probably (as per most T&C) would not be eligible for a refund at all if we are unable to travel...
we have been burnt by this in summer this year unfortunately so am a bit worried that 200-250 points are a lot of money to potentially lose..

Been to DLP 40+ times?
Yes... Yes I have.

DLP: 92,93,94 (twice), 95, 96, 98, 99, 00 (twice), 01,02,03, 05, 06 (twice) 07, 09, 10 (twice), 11, 12, 14, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 (twice) 19 (x 4!), 2022 x2 .

WDW 94,96, 99, 10,11, 13, 14,15,17,18,19, 22 x2, 23 x4 and 24 booked x3 (so far!)
Solo visitor lover and DCL 2023 on the Disney Wish
DL 93
cheekytink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 20, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by cheekytink View Post
Thank you Karen- I suppose my anxiety is around the cancellation terms- with booking directly we can cancel up to 7 days before check in, and receive a full refund. Whereas with renting points, I would pay in full and probably (as per most T&C) would not be eligible for a refund at all if we are unable to travel...
we have been burnt by this in summer this year unfortunately so am a bit worried that 200-250 points are a lot of money to potentially lose..
Good grief yes I totally understand!

You’ve got a lot of extra uncertainties with Hawaii too over and above the mainland USA - the islands were due to reopen to Americans next week but then at least two decided they would still require a 14 day quarantine. I’m pretty sure most of us wouldn’t choose to do that!
Old 9 Oct 20, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post

I am thinking of Hawaii next year too, I definitely would not be renting DVC points at this time, too uncertain.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 20, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

I was supposed to have gone in Aug! I booked with David’s and tbf I can’t fault them. I didn’t get my money back but I have a credit note valid for 3 years which I will be using to rebook.
Old 16 Oct 20, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

We are in a similar predicament for next June for our honeymoon. It’s horrible when usually we’d have rented points without really a second thought as we’d never have dreamt of cancelling! This situation has definitely taught us to be more cautious.

We have been considering buying into DVC for a while which would allow us to have our own points to book with instead but it’s a big commitment... waiting for the right contract to come along and if it does, we might go for it!
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List