Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 26 Dec 20, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
facelikefizz
Trying for More Ears

Can't buy a $ gift card with Paypal - update: it's BREXIT!

I've been buying e-gift cards on the US Disney site for a few months with PayPal (using dollars from renting out my DVC points). I did this as recently as Tuesday without a problem. Today I went to buy another and it won't accept my UK address. I'm hoping this is just a blip and not a change of policy.

Anyone else had the same problem?

Update: I've read the fine print on the website. It says they aren't accepting UK orders due to new tax laws but they are working on being able to meet the new requirements.

Edited at 03:28 PM. Reason: new information
facelikefizz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 20, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by facelikefizz View Post
I've been buying e-gift cards on the US Disney site for a few months with PayPal (using dollars from renting out my DVC points). I did this as recently as Tuesday without a problem. Today I went to buy another and it won't accept my UK address. I'm hoping this is just a blip and not a change of policy.

Update: I've read the fine print on the website. It says they aren't accepting UK orders due to new tax laws but they are working on being able to meet the new requirements.
We wouldn't have realised so just tried and the following message appeared, There are no shipping options available for that address. Please try a different address..

If you are despartate then enter a US address and suggest your home DVC resort but with your own telephone number and that might work.

But if you are using it to pay your dues then there's no rush as you have until 14th Feb and hopefully Disney will accept the new UK laws long before then.

Thanks for the update and if you do use your resort address can you please let ue know how you get on.

Good luck.

Edited at 04:09 PM.
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 20, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
facelikefizz
Trying for More Ears

Yes, it's for my dues. I hadn't thought about trying the resort address. If it gets to February and it's not resolved I might try it. (Although I wonder if it would get flagged as dodgy by Paypal as they're so fussy. The first time I bought a high value gift card it was blocked until I phoned Disney to confirm who I was.)
facelikefizz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 20, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
patpluto
VIP Dibber

Oh no I wonder if that’s the same problem with target Disney gift cards as well, they cancelled my three separate orders I made last week with no explanation.
patpluto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 20, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I can’t see any changes to tax in terms of buying gift cards from US caused by Brexit. That makes zero sense to me.

I suspect they may have realised foreigners are buying them and there are tax or other implications from that maybe?

I recently resubbed my VPN (necessary now to get on Disney US site, and for US Netflix) and Nord wanted to charge 20% VAT as soon as I said I was in UK, but changed it to US and no VAT. This is even though it’s in Panama.

Edited at 08:43 PM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 20, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by facelikefizz View Post

This link from another dibber may help. She too had a prob with UK address and Paypal but managed to purchase the e gift card with her revolut card.

https://DIBB.in/14767091

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List