Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Jan 21, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
jmagla
Excited about Disney

Cholesterol/Statins effect on insurance quote..

Hi, we are looking to go in August, flights booked and deposit on hotel, but no other outlay at the moment.

I did a dummy insurance quote for myself, wife and 18 year old. In the past I had high cholesterol (even though I am fairly slim and fit), I have been on statins for a few years and been retested and cholesterol level is low.

However when i declare high cholesterol (question on form "have you ever tested high" so had to answer yes) even though its now consistently low. There are no further questions about medication.

The effect of this declaration has been to double my premium, i will call staysure to discuss, but my question to you is has anyone discussed this with their insurer and got the premium lowered? Seems nonsensical when the statins successfully control (i have never had high blood pressure which is the follow on question) high cholesterol.

Any help much appreciated.

Edited at 11:48 AM.
jmagla is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Have you tried a different insurer ? My husband is exactly the same, has statins but cholesterol is now consistently low. It usually only adds a very small amount to the premium, certainly not double. I can’t remember who we have used though because I go with a different insurer each time.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
We have an annual bank policy. I had to tell them about statins ( I have familial high cholesterol). I had to pay a small amount to cover this but it wasn’t a lot. High cholesterol puts you at risk of heart attack/stroke. I don’t blame insurance companies for taking this into account. Statins aren’t a ‘cure’ and the risk is still there. Even my meds for psoriatic arthritis cause a slight increase in cost, and I’m not likely to need emergency treatment for that!

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Annoyingly my husband (who is two years younger than me) isn’t loaded for declaring he has been on statins in the past but mine is loaded as I have too but also take thyroid replacement ( and have for years).
Ours is a bank policy too.
I wonder what the loading will be for those who have had Covid.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

This has happened to me on all insurance sites. The screening questions are generally similar (the same).
On this one, the question refers to having EVER had raised levels.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I have annual travel insurance through my M&S credit card, i have phoned them several times over the years when things have changed, I went on medication for high blood pressure, then statins for high cholesterol and when DH went on medication for prostrate issues and each time they add it to my policy but no additional cost.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Nationwide remove the extra cost after a 1 year period of 'no issues'
That includes Statins so if you are off them and the GP says you no longer need them then the premium will drop.

I know this is the case as I renew our policies every November and have to go through all the questions for both of us.

Sad to say my Wife is still being hit for her hip replacement as it was only done last February but come this Nov it will be removed - the cost not the hip!

However it all depends if the word 'ever' is used as per Tspill above

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List