Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jan 21, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
All their belongings are at their rented home and they are paying full rent there so feel they want to get some use out of it.
DD has been told she'll get a partial refund of her rent. She's in on-campus self-catering university accommodation (well, she isn't at the moment but she should be). Not sure how much the refund is.

DD did point out that many students were expecting to go back to uni as normal so had left various items there only to find out now that they needed them at home. For example, she had one friend who had left her printer at uni but now needed it for her studies (like my daughter, she finds it easier to read things from paper rather than on a screen). But, of course, they're not supposed to travel at the moment and they aren't sure whether they are allowed access onsite.

We'll have to see whether travel is allowed by Feb half term.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

I would question the travel rule for this Nimbus as education is exempt. Unless of course you need to travel across the country meaning a new printer might be cheaper than the fuel 😉
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
DD has been told she'll get a partial refund of her rent. She's in on-campus self-catering university accommodation (well, she isn't at the moment but she should be). Not sure how much the refund is.

DD did point out that many students were expecting to go back to uni as normal so had left various items there only to find out now that they needed them at home. For example, she had one friend who had left her printer at uni but now needed it for her studies (like my daughter, she finds it easier to read things from paper rather than on a screen). But, of course, they're not supposed to travel at the moment and they aren't sure whether they are allowed access onsite.

We'll have to see whether travel is allowed by Feb half term.
It is good to hear that many students in halls are getting some rent rebate this year, my DD had the same last year as she was in halls then. This year she will be very unlikely to get any rebate as she’s sharing with her friends in a private rental.

Luckily, Georgia had brought all her books etc home for Christmas as she was a little behind with her lectures and also wanted to revise for her exams. A lot of her clothes and shoes are still in Bristol, thankfully she’s barely been out so hasn’t needed much

I think they would be allowed to travel for education if they decide to return at any point.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Col&Ali View Post
I would question the travel rule for this Nimbus as education is exempt. Unless of course you need to travel across the country meaning a new printer might be cheaper than the fuel 😉
I’ve stressed a little over this as I think Georgia will decide to return around mid February to study from her house there with her friends even if the lockdown continues until after then. I feel it should be allowed though as she would be moving back to her term time address.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

My son returned to St Andrews Uni yesterday. In the whole of his large halls blocks he is one of only seven returning. He now has a whole floor to himself!

He is studying Medicine so his course is the only course where anyone has returned, he says.

He is in full catered halls and his dining room has now closed, that means he and the other 6 students now need to go to another set of halls for their meals (no hardship as it is on the way to the School of Medicine building anyway)

He says how quiet is is there without the majority of students milling about

Our other son who lives at home whilst studying BSc Nursing, is going ahead with his final placement at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary as normal in two weeks too. So both ours are seemingly unaffected by the latest lockdown.

I feel for those students who are missing out, I really do
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
My son returned to St Andrews Uni yesterday. In the whole of his large halls blocks he is one of only seven returning. He now has a whole floor to himself!

He is studying Medicine so his course is the only course where anyone has returned, he says.

He is in full catered halls and his dining room has now closed, that means he and the other 6 students now need to go to another set of halls for their meals (no hardship as it is on the way to the School of Medicine building anyway)

He says how quiet is is there without the majority of students milling about

Our other son who lives at home whilst studying BSc Nursing, is going ahead with his final placement at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary as normal in two weeks too. So both ours are seemingly unaffected by the latest lockdown.

I feel for those students who are missing out, I really do
It must be a very eerie experience to be in halls with just a couple of other students around. It’s good news that his course hasn’t been affected though. I’m pleased he’s still getting his meals 😀

Good luck to both your sons on their placements
Old 21 Jan 21, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Col&Ali View Post
Travelling to attend University courses is one thing. Travelling just to pick up a printer and go back home with it is another. My interpretation is that the former is exempt from the travel rule whereas I'd argue the latter was debateable.

My DD also has a printer at Uni which was provided for her. We also have one here at home so there's no reason for her to return.

DD did also have some plants in her room at Uni. I suspect those will be dead when she returns after nearly 2 months without watering. I don't think she's allowed to go and pick those up.

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I think they would be allowed to travel for education if they decide to return at any point.
Yes, legally they are allowed to travel for education if there is a need/reason to do so.

But it depends on whether the Uni restarts face-to-face teacing/tutorials. If not, then there is no reason to return to Uni.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 04:07 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Well we are due to take Ry back to uni today but it’s snowing! He may have to stay home another week! After 6 weeks home he’s definitely ready to return but seeing as classes are online then no harm really.
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

DD’s face to face teaching starts again next week. She just needs two negative Covid tests 3 days apart before she can attend then needs to get tested every 3-5 days.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 21, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
DD’s face to face teaching starts again next week. She just needs two negative Covid tests 3 days apart before she can attend then needs to get tested every 3-5 days.
I think you live up Lancs way don’t you Mary? What’s the snow like? It’s Ormskirk we need to get Ry back to ...