Old 24 Jan 20, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 16

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 78
The 260 Mile West Coast Wander - August 2019 - Day 7 - Picnic by a lake & that Yosemite View!

INDEX

Saturday 10th August

A car alarm went off around 5am just outside of our motel door so of course it woke me up. I tried to get back to sleep but I couldn’t. The motel was full as we'd been told this when we checked in, it’s used a lot by fishermen so there was a lot of activity going on early in the morning.

Thankfully the kids were asleep in the back room so they weren’t woken by the noise so at least they had a really good night's rest.

I had a shower then Scott woke and he showered too. I caught up with my notes and sorted some clothes out ready for our Yosemite stay.

A while after everyone else had woken and once the kids had showered and changed we all went to get some breakfast which was included with our stay.

We didn’t expect much but it was fine for what we needed with there being fresh fruit, waffles, yogurts, toasts, muffins and cereals available along with juices and coffee. There was also a popcorn machine there which I thought was a little strange and they gave a bag to Poppy and Jamie for our journey when we'd finished with our breakfast.

Vagabond Inn Bishop

All suitably full we went back to our room to get our cases and we checked out. You can guess what we did next, yes that’s right we filled the car up and also went to a supermarket to get some sandwiches and some more fresh fruit. We’d eaten a lot of snacks on our drive yesterday.

To say I was excited about today was an understatement as I knew how much we would all love being in Yosemite.

It was an absolutely gorgeous day and we set off around 10am towards Lee Vining.

In what seemed like no time at all we were taking the left turn onto Tioga Pass.

The road was absolutely stunning in fact all of the drive had been, even from Bishop it had been quite spectacular.

Soon we were near to the park entrance we figured this out because the traffic had got really busy and before long we were at a standstill. After a bit of time we went through the ranger just quickly glanced at our pass before waving us through.

We stopped off at a few points for a few photos, just briefly but when we arrived at Lembert Dome we decided to have a bit more of a walk.

It was quite busy there was only a small parking area so we had to go right down a side road to park up. We used the rest rooms there before we took a walk up to get a closer look and to stretch our legs. We could see a few people getting all their climbing gear ready.

Back on the road!

After this we continued up Tioga Pass and our next stop was Tenaya Lake where we had a bit of a picnic for lunch with the sandwiches and snacks we’d bought earlier.

Oh my word it was so beautiful here! Absolutely stunning and what a view we had this lunchtime!

We plonked ourselves down on a fallen tree and had our food and it was a lunch to remember with that view!

Poppy wanted to have a dip but there was no way I was going in that water it was freezing cold – well maybe not that cold but cold enough! Scott had a paddle with Poppy instead.

We did see a few people in the water they must’ve been used to swimming in cool lakes.

After lunch we continued until we reached our next stop which was a view I couldn’t wait to see. I kept my eye out as we drove further up as I didn’t want Scott to drive pass the small parking lot. Before long I spotted the turnout which was quite easy to spot and we pulled into a parking spot.

Wow was all I could say to Olmsted Point - Utterly stunning!

Now the view at this point is amazing but I’d read that there’s a short trail which takes you to a few boulders. We definitely needed to do this walk and it literally took us 5 minutes it was that short and the best thing was nobody else was there!

Oh gosh seeing Half Dome for the first time was just something. This view was just breathtaking.

We had a little wander around then a couple of other people came so we left so that they could enjoy the views like we had from that amazing spot.

Back on the road again we kept taking in all those spectacular views and also stopping off for a better look.

We were now on the valley floor and we wanted to visit Tunnel view first as we were so near to it. Not sure how, well I am sure Scott missed the turn off even though I’d told him which way to go. Never mind but what it did mean was we had to go on the loop back round, the traffic was horrendous.

There was nothing we could do but crawl along with the rest of the cars. It was 5pm we kept plodding along and eventually we got back on the right road towards Tunnel View.

It might have taken us a little longer to get here but oh my word it was so worth it. I’ll admit it I started to cry, the beauty of this view took my breath away.

Honestly photos really don’t do this place justice! It didn’t look real it was like a painting or something.

Unfortunately we had to tear ourselves away but we didn’t go far just a little way down the road to the car park for Bridalveil Falls.

It’s only a short walk to the falls literally just up the path but first we needed to use the restrooms as Poppy was desperate.

Our first close up look of a waterfall in Yosemite – how exciting!

Thankfully the traffic had really died down now so we soon arrived at Curry Village. Scott checked us in and we were given the number which we needed to get into the shower blocks. We were also told not to leave any food items in the car or anything that had a strong scent like deodorant. I had wanted to leave a couple of the bags that we didn’t need in the car as it seemed pointless cluttering the space up but seeing as though they contained my Bath & Body Works stash and American candy haul Scott said just fetch everything in. It did give us less space but at least we didn’t have to worry about bears trying to get in the car!

Once we’d parked up it was a little walk to our hut. I called it a hut because that's what it felt like but it’s described as a cabin without a bathroom. It was quite small with 2 double beds and a rollaway bed for Poppy. It was basic but it was totally fine for our needs. This was the best option left to us when I booked even at 11 months out.

After we’d dropped our bags in the cabin we went for some food at the fast food outlet at Curry Village, Meadow Grill. There wasn’t much that appealed to me so ended up with a salad whereas everyone one else had a hotdog, chicken tenders or a burger of some kind. It was very busy there and we noticed the place was due to close. Good job we got there when we did.

There wasn’t any Wi-Fi here in fact we never had a signal all the time we were in Yosemite which was fine by me and actually Jamie was ok with it too! So we spent the next hour chilling, reading and chatting when we got back to our hut.

Got changed, went to brush our teeth and use the rest rooms before going to sleep at 10pm. We had the little torches to use in case anyone needed to get up in the night, namely me!

What an amazing start it had been to our Yosemite part of the trip. We’d seen some stunning scenery already and we couldn’t wait to see more!

Steps 12,747

Thanks for reading

Edited at 05:29 PM.
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
The A team
VIP Dibber

The A team's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Some stunning views there, great photos!

Highlands Reserve May/June 2014

Trip report complete July/August 2016 - Beach Club and Sunset Lakes
Trip report complete - One week trip at two weeks notice - The Grove Resort May 2018
7 States Pre-trip (Washington DC, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, New York)
The A team is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
KayLouise
Very Serious Dibber

Beautiful photos!
Old 24 Jan 20, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Really enjoyed reading your TR especially Death Valley and Yosemite parts - brought back brilliant memories for me. Your photos from Olmsted Point reminded me of my (long gone days) of hiking around the area - many years ago I did Sunrise Traihead to Clouds Rest. Clouds Rest is just off your photos on the left where Half Dome is to the right - Clouds Rest is 1000 feet higher than Half Dome. The views from Clouds Rest are breathtaking as is the final ascent to it (literally). I have also done the Four Mile Trail and Upper Yosemite Trail. Sadly the closest I would get these days would be Glacier Point car park.

In Death Valley I was really pleased to see you got to Dante's View (my favourite place in the Valley), along with Artists Drive, Badwater Basin, Devils Golf Course etc. I have also visited Ubehebe Crater, Scotty's Castle and Racetrack Playa (fascinating place) but you do need more than a family saloon for those. I've explored Emigrant Canyon and the Panamints and love the road out of the valley to Lone Pine. Just love the whole area. You were wise to be careful and take sensible precautions with the car and snacks as it is far to easy to underestimate the heat in summer.

Thank you again for reminding me of happy memories and also of the time when I was a bit more active HA HA.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
nickyjw
Apprentice Imagineer

Yosemite is one of my favourite places Julia, unless you've been there you really can't believe how beautiful it is can you? Photos really don't do it justice. Another lovely day and some great photos, can't wait to read more.
nickyjw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Mobile

Beautiful photos - the scenery looks amazing
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by The A team View Post
Some stunning views there, great photos!
The views there are amazing could have looked at them all day.

Thank you
juliab is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by KayLouise View Post
Beautiful photos!
Thank you
Old 28 Jan 20, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
Really enjoyed reading your TR especially Death Valley and Yosemite parts - brought back brilliant memories for me. Your photos from Olmsted Point reminded me of my (long gone days) of hiking around the area - many years ago I did Sunrise Traihead to Clouds Rest. Clouds Rest is just off your photos on the left where Half Dome is to the right - Clouds Rest is 1000 feet higher than Half Dome. The views from Clouds Rest are breathtaking as is the final ascent to it (literally). I have also done the Four Mile Trail and Upper Yosemite Trail. Sadly the closest I would get these days would be Glacier Point car park.

In Death Valley I was really pleased to see you got to Dante's View (my favourite place in the Valley), along with Artists Drive, Badwater Basin, Devils Golf Course etc. I have also visited Ubehebe Crater, Scotty's Castle and Racetrack Playa (fascinating place) but you do need more than a family saloon for those. I've explored Emigrant Canyon and the Panamints and love the road out of the valley to Lone Pine. Just love the whole area. You were wise to be careful and take sensible precautions with the car and snacks as it is far to easy to underestimate the heat in summer.

Thank you again for reminding me of happy memories and also of the time when I was a bit more active HA HA.
Thank you for reading I am so glad this day has brought back such wonderful memories of your time in Yosemite.

It sounds like you had some amazing hikes in California. I googled the view from Clouds Rest, oh my word those views are insane! I would so love to see that view but i don't think I'd have the stamina and i certainly wouldn't have the nerve to walk that last stretch. Have you completed the hike up to Half Dome?

I think we would've explored more in Death Valley if we'd have visited at a different time of the year.

It sounds like you'v e had some wonderful adventures, nothing wrong with taking it all at a slower pace now.

Thanks for your lovely reply
Old 28 Jan 20, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
juliab
Imagineer

juliab's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by nickyjw View Post
Yosemite is one of my favourite places Julia, unless you've been there you really can't believe how beautiful it is can you? Photos really don't do it justice. Another lovely day and some great photos, can't wait to read more.
It's one of our favourites now Nicky it truly is one of the most stunning places we've ever visited. Just took my breath away every day we were there.

Thank you for reading along and your lovely words. Got a few more Yosemite days to come x